Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Satellite no longer reliably connecting to devices

JimM55
Aspirant

RBR750 Satellite no longer reliably connecting to devices

My router model, according to the app, is RBR750 (which wasn't a choice in the pulldown list). 

I installed the system about 10 months ago -- the router on one side of the first floor, a satellite on the other end of the house on the first floor and a satellite near my office on the second floor. It worked wonderfully well until about two weeks ago. 

Now devices in my office (my Mac Mini, my iPad) keep dropping off of wi-fi, and when I check the network map in the app, it shows that devices usually aren't connecting to the nearby satellite but instead to the main router downstairs. (The whole reason I installed the mesh system is that devices in my office often dropped when all I had was a Nighthawk on the first floor.)  The app shows the satellite as online, but often no devices are connected (not always -- sometimes they are -- so it's not that the satellite is simply dead).  

Any advice on what I might do? 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Satellite no longer reliably connecting to devices

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling

MM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 7
JimM55
Aspirant

Firmware version: V4.6.3.7

The modem is one provided by Verizon (FIOS).  I looked at it and couldn't find a model number. 

The house is about 2800 sq ft.  But its a solid masonry design, so that even though it's smaller than the house we lived in until last October, my old Nighthawk router could no longer reliably reach the farther parts of the house, hence the switch to the Orbi mesh system.  The satellites are 20 to 30 feet from the base router.  (The problem one is probably about 22 or so feet away.)  I checked the network map and both satellites get strong signal. 

Currently, the channels are set to: 

2.4GHz: Auto

5 GHz: 48

How do you specify multiple channels?  I tried both ctrl-click and shift-click on the pull-down menu, but it only selected one. 

As I noted, this setup was rock solid until a couple of weeks ago, when suddenly my Mac Mini, one room away from a satellite, suddenly started dropping from the wi-fi at various times. And when I looked at the network map, it wasn't usually connecting to the satellite next door, but to either the base router or the other satellite.  (This isn't always the case. Sometimes it does connect to the satellite, but not reliably, and I think it's when it tries to connect to the base instead that the Mac Mini has it's issues.)

One final piece of info that may just be an anomoly: I just looked at the details of the satellite router. It showed Connection Type equal wired, which it isn't.  I checked the other satellite to compare, and it was listed as 5GHz. Then when I went back to the problem satellite, it was back to 5GHz.  This may just be a passing weirdness in the app, but I'm mentioning it in case it's indicating a possible issue. 

Thanks for your help. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@JimM55 wrote:

Firmware version: V4.6.3.7

The modem is one provided by Verizon (FIOS).  I looked at it and couldn't find a model number. <See if you can find a model# on the case unit.

The house is about 2800 sq ft.  But its a solid masonry design, so that even though it's smaller than the house we lived in until last October, my old Nighthawk router could no longer reliably reach the farther parts of the house, hence the switch to the Orbi mesh system.  The satellites are 20 to 30 feet from the base router.  (The problem one is probably about 22 or so feet away.)  <22 feet is too close, 30 feet or more is recommended. I checked the network map and both satellites get strong signal. 

Currently, the channels are set to: 

2.4GHz: Auto

5 GHz: 48

How do you specify multiple channels?  I tried both ctrl-click and shift-click on the pull-down menu, but it only selected one. 

You can only select one channel at a time.

As I noted, this setup was rock solid until a couple of weeks ago, when suddenly my Mac Mini, one room away from a satellite, suddenly started dropping from the wi-fi at various times. And when I looked at the network map, it wasn't usually connecting to the satellite next door, but to either the base router or the other satellite.  (This isn't always the case. Sometimes it does connect to the satellite, but not reliably, and I think it's when it tries to connect to the base instead that the Mac Mini has it's issues.)

One final piece of info that may just be an anomoly: I just looked at the details of the satellite router. It showed Connection Type equal wired, which it isn't.  I checked the other satellite to compare, and it was listed as 5GHz. Then when I went back to the problem satellite, it was back to 5GHz.  This may just be a passing weirdness in the app, but I'm mentioning it in case it's indicating a possible issue. 

Try following these settings:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/213191...

Message 4 of 7
JimM55
Aspirant

It's hard to get a full 30 ft in this house. I was assuming that the masonry walls, which reduce the signal (and which caused me to go to a mesh solution) reduced that lenght a bit.  But I'm trying a few experiments now (including just taking out one of the two satellites). 

Message 5 of 7
JimM55
Aspirant

The other bit I wish I could figure out is why my setup was rock solid, with nothing dropping off of wi-fi for months, and then suddenly I started getting drops. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full power OFF for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7