Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 and RBS750 - switching bands on devices for faster performance

maccabout2
Guide

RBR750 and RBS750 - switching bands on devices for faster performance

Just finished setting up my AX4200 system throughout the house. Would like to know how I can switch bands between 2.4 and 5 Ghz on each connected device? Or at least have the option of choosing on each device at the sattelite level?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
McLong
Apprentice

Neither of these setting options have been available and are unlikely to release with future updates. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
McLong
Apprentice

Neither of these setting options have been available and are unlikely to release with future updates. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

This question comes up frequently.  As indicated above, the WiFi system has no mechanism to force a device to a specific WiFi band.

All those Internet of Things (IoT) devices have only a 2.4G radio, so they can connect only to the 2.4G band.

For many other devices, a 2.4G connection is adequate.  Streaming 4K video requires at most a 25mb/s connection.

There are devices that definitely have the capability to restrict WiFi to certain bands.  Windows laptops, for example, usually have an option in "Properties" to restrict which WiFi bands can be used.  My Lenovo laptop, for example, allows the WiFi to be set to 2.4G only, 5G only, and even to certain subsets of those bands.

Message 3 of 4
maccabout2
Guide

Thanks. My SurfaceBook 2 only allows 2.4 Ghz connection in the properties.

So far my new ORBI is making a huge difference. Can't wait to test on my next Zoom/Teams call.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7