Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 and VLAN ID 835 with no PPPoE

mcrs969
Luminary

RBR750 and VLAN ID 835 with no PPPoE

Hi community,

I'm a very happy Orbi RBk752 User and I recently extended my Armor subscription by buying a 12 months plan. I really think the RBk 752 is a wonderful product, capable of great performances and having a design which suits also a visible place in my living room.

I'm in the process of migrating from one FTTH ISP to another. Both ISPs are using IPoE, so no PPPoE, the current one I have assigns me a Static IPv4, the next one could assign it to me statically or dynamically and I need to enable the VLAN ID 835 to get connected properly.

I'm not sure if Orbi RBR 750 allows the VLAN ID along with the IPoE and not with the PPPoE.

Can somebody tell me if VLAN ID works also with no PPPoE connections?

Best regards,

Michele

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mcrs969
Luminary

Re: RBR750 and VLAN ID 835 with no PPPoE

Dear All,

sorry to keep you all waiting. But I confirm that setting VLAN 835 as reported works on Orbi RBR750 with my Fiber connection.

So I can get an IP in IPoE configuration and the traffic can be under VLAN 835 as per my ISP requirements. All of this can be simply made by the VLAN settings in the advanced configurations by modifying the existing one.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 12
mcrs969
Luminary

Thanks FURRYe38, I immediately reported my post to the Mods because I noticed after having posted that an Orbi (AX) section is available, I hope they can move the thread there otherwise I'll post again.

Thanks for the info, I have also read some topic but never found a detailed relation between VLAN and how the connection is negotiated.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@mcrs969 wrote:

I'm not sure if Orbi RBR 750 allows the VLAN ID along with the IPoE and not with the PPPoE.

Can somebody tell me if VLAN ID works also with no PPPoE connections?

VLAN ID on the Orbi appears to be independent of ISP connection type (PPPoE, IPoE, DHCP).

Page 76 of the User Manual discusses VLAN ID in the context of IP television, not IP address.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

In addition to posting in the "AX" community forum, it might help prompt a response if you identify the new ISP.

(In hopes that an Orbi owner has successfully connected to this ISP already.)

Some ISP technical support is more sophisticated than others and may have information specific to Orbi routers.

Message 4 of 12
mcrs969
Luminary

thank you @CrimpOn for the advice, I am happy to see NETGEAR moderators moved the thread in right section, sorry for my mistake.

The ISP is Pianeta Fibra, a small but very high quality italian ISP delivering 1000/300 Mbps over FTTH and their only requirement is:

dynamic obtain of IP from ISP

VLAN 835 on WAN

I'm still not sure if this is supported, by checking manual there're several examples on Television, but the guide in the advanced page of RBK75x GUI seems to be ok also for connectivity of WAN traffic.

I have of course other devices to try but I'd love if the RBK75x supports it. Anyone who had experience in connecting the ONT to Orbi and enabling VLAN 835 (or any other number) to get the wan traffic?

Soon I'll be migrated to this ISP so I'll also be able to share a practical test 😉

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@mcrs969 wrote:

The ISP is Pianeta Fibra, a small but very high quality italian ISP delivering 1000/300 Mbps over FTTH and their only requirement is:

dynamic obtain of IP from ISP

VLAN 835 on WAN

I'm still not sure if this is supported, by checking manual there're several examples on Television, but the guide in the advanced page of RBK75x GUI seems to be ok also for connectivity of WAN traffic.

I have of course other devices to try but I'd love if the RBK75x supports it. Anyone who had experience in connecting the ONT to Orbi and enabling VLAN 835 (or any other number) to get the wan traffic?

Soon I'll be migrated to this ISP so I'll also be able to share a practical test 😉

Message 6 of 12
mcrs969
Luminary

hello @FURRYe38 ,

thanks for asking.

Basically -> it works/worked, enabled DHCP (that's how I get my IP connection as ISP has S-VLAN and C-VLAN per every Customer so each Customer is univocally identified at their BRAS/gateway by these two combinations) and enabled 835 by ticking the flag "enable" on VLAN and selecting Internet, modify 10 (default value) to 835 and it worked straight away.

But please wait to get this answer like "confirmed" as I'd like to double check couple of things before stating it with confidence 😄

Michele

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 8 of 12
mcrs969
Luminary

Dear All,

sorry to keep you all waiting. But I confirm that setting VLAN 835 as reported works on Orbi RBR750 with my Fiber connection.

So I can get an IP in IPoE configuration and the traffic can be under VLAN 835 as per my ISP requirements. All of this can be simply made by the VLAN settings in the advanced configurations by modifying the existing one.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad is working for you.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 10 of 12
mcrs969
Luminary

Thanks for the hint, while regarding the "backup configuration" I prefer to keep all data logged in a file and set back all parameters by myself... 🙂 little old method (for sure less efficient and more time consuming) to re-work configurations and re-think them over the time. I do this at every FW update on devices with manual FW update. 🙂

Thanks anyways also for the link!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation