Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 dropping internet connection over ethernet

AggedwNG
Apprentice

RBR750 dropping internet connection over ethernet

Having issues with Orbi RBR750 2 weeks after most recent fw. No changes have been made since fw update. Today it started dropping internet connection while connected directly to ethernet, with a solid magenta light on the front. I have been trying to update my desktop with a windows update which has hosed my image twice. Everytime I try to download the update, after restarting the orbi to restore internet connection, it drops and then turns magenta and will not allow anything to connect to the internet or me to connect to the orbilogin page. I have verified ISP connectivity is fine. After a hard reboot of the router connectivity is fine. Until I try to download anything using any of the ethernet ports. Is this router or the fw bad?
Message 1 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Router firmware is v4.6.3.7_2.0.49
RBK752 bundle: 1 RBR750, 1 RBS750

Network Connectivity is as follows:

Frontier Fiber ONT -> RBR750 via ethernet from ONT (RBR750 is setup in Router mode, VLAN/Bridge mode disabled, traffic monitor disabled, ipv6 disabled) -> RBS750 connected to RBR750 via wireless backhaul.

5 wireless devices connected, 1 wired device connected to RBR750 via ethernet.
Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the RBR is showing Pink front LED, this means the RBR is loosing the connect to the ONT or the ONT is loosing connection to the ISP services. 

I'd make sure the ISP service line up to the ONT is to spec. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure to power OFF the modem/ONT for 1 minute them back ON along with the RBR.

Message 3 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Thanks Furrye38 for your suggestion. Was on the phone with their 1st level support most of the day as this was initially my 1st suspicion. However, they could not find anything suspect along the service line to the ONT and I was able to rule out any issue from the line into the house testing with a 40gb download after bypassing the router, going direct connect from line in to the house to desktop, which completed successfully. After testing, powered off Router and Sattelite, rebooted ONT manually and left ONT disconnected for 3 minutes for a clean reset, then reconnected while leaving RBR/RBS750 disconnected for 10 minutes, then reconnected and powered back on. Once router and satellite were synced, retested again with a 5gb file download this time (connected desktop to router via ethernet) and it crashed within the first 1gb of download (internet dropped out, light went solid magenta on router and only the router oddly I must add). When this happened everything on the network that was connected dropped immediately, no matter wired or wireless and was unable to login to admin portal nor get connectivity back until a hard power cycle of the router. I was able to replicate this 2 additional times thereafter. Streaming was not impacted though, on my wireless devices (Rokus) if just doing only that. Seems to be only when trying to download anything while wired to the router. Tried also downloading another smaller file to my work laptop (app update pushed out) and it crashed again as well after ~300 MB's downloaded. Performed various speed tests throughout, but only mentioning in case it helps (from router to ookla average - 615 down 930 up, bypassing router direct line in from ONT to ookla average - 920 down, 930 up). I am also using mac filtering via access control which I forgot to mention, if this helps at all.
Message 4 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Also tried connecting a gaming console wired via ethernet to the RBR750 and downloading a 7gb software update, 2-3 minutes in, hard crash.. Decided to swap out my RBR750 with my old Asus RT-AC68U after resetting every link in the chain and test with this.. Wired a ps4 to the AC68U, downloaded various software updates (~20 gb total), no issues. Pulled the RT-AC68U, reset the ONT, reconnected the RBR750, synced back up with the RBS750, restarted the ps4 and wired in to the RBR750. Crashed again, ~230 mb's in to downloading a game.
Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 6 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Yes it has. Issue still remains.
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you make contact wtih NG support and let them know what your seeing. Let them know that you tested a different router and that work and Orbi doesn't. 

Message 8 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Thanks Furrye38. Have done just that but no response. Will continue waiting.
Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 19
geradem27
Aspirant

AggedwNG did you get resolution to this problem? I experienced the same exact problem over the past 3 weeks. Only happens when my sons gaming computer (wired to RBR750) does an update.
Message 11 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Unfortunately not.. Still waiting on a response from Netgear support. Issue is still present. There is one thing I have noticed once or twice when duplicating the issue. Close to the same time the network drops when I'm wired into the router and trying to download, the green power led light on the back of the router will sometimes turn red for a split second or two before the led on the front turns magenta. I've been reading in different places where I'm seeing complaints about this and some are mentioning a kernel panic. It doesn't seem to do this everytime but the front router led always turns magenta and crashes the entire network without fail and is only recoverable with a hard power cycle. Not sure what they did with this firmware (other than intentionally remove our ability to manually downgrade) but I'm starting to suspect this could be bricking some devices after time. They need to address this.. Hopefully they're not taking an errant approach and allowing a tolerable percentage of collateral damage with these changes..
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130838/highligh...

@AggedwNG wrote:
Unfortunately not.. Still waiting on a response from Netgear support. Issue is still present. There is one thing I have noticed once or twice when duplicating the issue. Close to the same time the network drops when I'm wired into the router and trying to download, the green power led light on the back of the router will sometimes turn red for a split second or two before the led on the front turns magenta. I've been reading in different places where I'm seeing complaints about this and some are mentioning a kernel panic. It doesn't seem to do this everytime but the front router led always turns magenta and crashes the entire network without fail and is only recoverable with a hard power cycle. Not sure what they did with this firmware (other than intentionally remove our ability to manually downgrade) but I'm starting to suspect this could be bricking some devices after time. They need to address this.. Hopefully they're not taking an errant approach and allowing a tolerable percentage of collateral damage with these changes..

Message 13 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion but no I have not. I work 6 days a week and just don't have the time to invest in testing this anymore. I got nowhere with support so just switched to an older router for the meantime. Wifi is horrible but at least ethernet is solid for what I need.
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 19
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Thanks. I do appreciate your help though. Glad there are some people in alternate venues trying to assist with this. Too bad you don't get paid by netgear, you've done more legwork than their QA and from a consumer standpoint, it is appreciated.
Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 17 of 19
Ptown2002
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 @AggedwNG Have you figured this out?  I'm having the same issue, but it had been happening when I try to download updates through Adobe Creative Cloud.  Fast forward to today, I tried to install Halo Infinite through Steam and the download crashed my router again.  Orbi mesh system is the RBK753S.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to review here as some others are seeing this crash on the RBR when downloading large size games:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-RBR850-crashes-with-large-downl...

Contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

@Ptown2002 wrote:

@FURRYe38 @AggedwNG Have you figured this out?  I'm having the same issue, but it had been happening when I try to download updates through Adobe Creative Cloud.  Fast forward to today, I tried to install Halo Infinite through Steam and the download crashed my router again.  Orbi mesh system is the RBK753S.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7