Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 - how do I force devices to connect to a specific router or satellite? Or split networks?

GunSlingerAUS
Aspirant

RBR750 - how do I force devices to connect to a specific router or satellite? Or split networks?

I've just installed the RBR750 router with RBS750 satellite, and have an issue. An app that I use requires my tablets to communicate directly with my PC, and it seems the mesh system screws with this. So I was wondering:

1.) How do I force specific devices to connect to the satellite or router?

2.) How do I split out the SSIDs of the 2.4 and 5GHz networks; currently I only have a single SSID which devices connect to and then automatically choose a frequency.

Hope you can help!

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 - how do I force devices to connect to a specific router or satellite? Or split networks?

Some suggestions:

Netgear has a community forum specifically for the new "AX" series of products:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

People who participate in that forum are more likely to own an AX product and be familiar with how it functions than those of us in this forum who have the older product.  You may be more likely to get an informed response by posting over there.

Some additional detail may be useful.  For example, "communicate directly with my PC" is confusing.  "Directly" as in "not going through any sort of network"?  My printer offers a feature where it sets up a WiFi access point of its own and devices can print directly to it without going through a network, but I am not familiar with PC programs doing that.  Maybe identifying the program would allow others to research this requirement in more detail.

How was the conclusion about "splitting the SSID's" reached?  Every device that I have can connect to every other device on my network, irregardless of which WiFi band it is connected to.  That is the whole purpose of having a network.  I have vague memories of reading that the AX products do not support the "hack" people use on the older Orbi's to split SSID's, which is another reason to post over in that forum because I honestly pay little attention to the AX product (since I don't have one).

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@GunSlingerAUS wrote:

I've just installed the RBR750 router with RBS750 satellite, and have an issue. An app that I use requires my tablets to communicate directly with my PC, and it seems the mesh system screws with this.

This should not be... The advantage of the mesh systems is that devices connected to the router or any of the satellites are still connected to the same network.  There is no difference in connectivity.  Therefore if you're having a problem, we should first diagnose why your app cannot talk to your PC.

What app are you talking about and is than an iPhone or an Android phone?  Is your PC correctly connected to your Orbi (e.g., and not directly connected upstream to your Orbi and to your cable modem)?  You can first verify that the IP address for your PC and the IP address on your phone are similar except for the last number (e.g., 192.168.1.51 and 192.168.1.84).

Message 3 of 5
GunSlingerAUS
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback guys - I am using DCS UFC, an Android app that pulls out virtual panels from my favourite flight sim, DCS, and maps them to tablets. It turns out the issue was an IP config error on my behalf, not the mesh setup. As you attest, it does indeed appear to be a seamless network, and it's now working perfectly. Extremely happy with this bit of kit, which is rare when it comes to WiFi products.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@GunSlingerAUS wrote:

I've just installed the RBR750 router with RBS750 satellite, and have an issue. An app that I use requires my tablets to communicate directly with my PC, and it seems the mesh system screws with this. So I was wondering:

1.) How do I force specific devices to connect to the satellite or router? Something that can't be done on any Orbi System. It's up to wifi devices to pick and choose which singal they connect too. Can can help steer devices from the RBR to RBS by turned down the power output of the RBR is about it.  

2.) How do I split out the SSIDs of the 2.4 and 5GHz networks; currently I only have a single SSID which devices connect to and then automatically choose a frequency. Not supported on Orbi Systems.

Hope you can help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7