Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 issue: 50% speed slowdown

conductor
Aspirant

RBR750 issue: 50% speed slowdown

I've owned several Netgear routers, starting with WNDR3700. I purchased the RBR50 once the firmware began to get some good reviews, and it worked well. To keep up with the introduction of WiFi 6 I purchased directly from Netgear the RBR750 in May 2021. Somewhere between July 4, 2022, and last week the download speed of that product fell to 50% (actually a little less) of what my cable ISP subscription provides. A speedtest by the Orbi software on that date showed download speed of 206 Mbps and upload speed of just over 16 Mbps. Noticing that download speed had suffered since then, I began a thorough investigation.

The RBR750 and its two satellites have the most recent firmware. No changes had been made to the Orbi software configuration prior to the slowdown. I tested with my old Netgear R7800 router and the download was a little over 200. (Upload speed is not the issue, so I will stop referencing that feature.) OK, next maybe I should downgrade the firmware on the RBR750: No change from the under-100 Mbps download speed. So maybe I should try my previous Orbi, the RBR50: 200+ Mbps. Same setup as the RBR750, though I did need to turn off UPnP. Still, the RBR50 gets 200+. 

So the issue is the RBR750, since both of my previous routers (R7800 and RBR50) get the download speed I'm paying for. The problem is not in the settings, it's not a matter of rebooting the modem or router, and it's not a matter of other devices hogging the bandwidth. Everything I can think of and see in the settings is constant among all three routers. The thing that distinguishes the RBR750 is the 50% drop in speed.

The warranty expired in May. I'm exasperated, disappointed, becoming resigned to having bought a lemon from Netgear. So I'm asking whether there are others who have had this or similar experience with a device that should not fail after only a year. In other words, is mine an isolated case, or is there a thread of RBR750 failures that Netgear should (yes, "should") address.

From my reading on this forum, there are others experiencing a slowdown on the RBR750 series. At least one is thinking it might be the latest firmware, but I've gone to the trouble to install the previous 4.6.8.5 firmware with no change to the problem. That's not it. This is an issue with the router that is beyond configuration and firmware.

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
conductor
Aspirant

Re: RBR750 issue: 50% speed slowdown

I have a reconditioned/refurbished/refreshed RBR750 on the way, due to arrive tomorrow. Thanks to the three of you who responded. Too bad no one has a solution for lightning strikes. 😉

I will mark this case "Solved," since the more I have thought about it the more I have concluded that lightning is not a scapegoat but the cause.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 21

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@conductor wrote:

I've owned several Netgear routers, starting with WNDR3700. I purchased the RBR50 once the firmware began to get some good reviews, and it worked well. To keep up with the introduction of WiFi 6 I purchased directly from Netgear the RBR750 in May 2021. Somewhere between July 4, 2022, and last week the download speed of that product fell to 50% (actually a little less) of what my cable ISP subscription provides. A speedtest by the Orbi software on that date showed download speed of 206 Mbps and upload speed of just over 16 Mbps. Noticing that download speed had suffered since then, I began a thorough investigation.

I have not read before of people's Orbi's losing download speed due to Orbi hardware issues, so let's first make sure of your speed measurements.  You seem to be relying upon the Orbi's own speed test so also confirm by running speedtest.net ion a PC connected by wired network (not wireless) to your Orbi base router.  It should return near to what your cable ISP supplies.

Do you have a cable modem or a combination modem/router?  If the latter then Double NAT will also cause substantive speed drops (two routers doing the same work).  You can verify this by comparing the http://orbilogin.com / Advanced tab / Internet Port / IP Address to what https://canyouseeme.org/ says for Your IP.  If the IP addresses are not the same, then you have Double NAT.

Message 2 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

I also would think that hardware breakdown is rare. I've not experienced such a thing with the 7 or so routers I own/have owned. There are 3 speedtests: (1) in the Orbi software, (2) on a Firefox browser on "the last Intel iMac," and (3) on the iPhone 13 Speedtest app. They all agree.

The modem is a Motorola MB8600 Docsis 3.1. There is no "double NAT," and even if there were it would be for all three routers in the comparison.

Thanks for your comments.

Message 3 of 21
ekhalil
Master

Are the satellites wired paired to Orbi router or wireless? What other wired devices do you have in your network?

Message 4 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

Two satellites use the 5G wireless backhaul. Those connections are stable and have not varied before or after the slowdown.

The Orbi router has wired connections to the iMac, a Synology Diskstation, and an Apple TV. All but the iMac were OFF for testing.

One satellite has a wired connection to another computer that is OFF for testing and, in fact, ON only occasionally. The other satellite has no wired connections.

Thanks for the questions.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, SPC, Traffic Meter. Have any of these been enabled before? 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 64. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 6 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

Current firmware 4.6.8.5 with 4.6.9.11 downloaded and ready to be reinstalled. "Reinstalled," because that was the firmware installed sometime after July 4 -- the only change I could isolate between the good Orbi speed test of July 4 and recent testing by various means that showed the 50% slowdown. My testing of the two firmware versions showed no difference in speed between the two firmware versions.

Satellites are within 30 feet. There was no change to the physical configuration between RBR and the two RBSs before the slowdown was noticed.

Home size about 1500 square feet. Router very near the middle and satellites on either end. Again, this configuration and placement are consistent and have worked well historically with both RBR50 and RBR750 ... until sometime after July 4, the date of the last test showing speed slightly over 200 Mbps (download).

Channels are Auto and 48, respectively. I tried 44 -- no change. And again, these and the others you mention have not varied before/after slowdown. About 10 wireless networks visible beyond mine. No change from before, though people do tend to change the names from time to time.

No Armor or Traffic Meter on. I have no idea what you mean by "SPC," which may be a firmware feature for the RBR750 but not the RBR50, which is currently running. I'll set up the 750 and let you know if I find it. The other configuration items are not variable between good and bad testing.

Reboots have been numerous, both modem and router, in proper sequence. I have not reconfigured settings from scratch recently but rather used a configuration saved before the slowdown occurred.

While I appreciate -- no, really! -- your thorough questioning, I want to keep emphasizing that I did not mess with the configuration except to turn off UPnP (security issue). I cannot think of any change in software or physical configuration to blame for the slowdown. I am tempted to say there absolutely had been none, but in fact I did turn off UPnP and at some point about 4 or 5 months ago -- well before the slowdown -- I reconfigured the router from scratch, using notes I had made from the previous setup for LAN address reservation (2 devices that need a permanent IP), email setup, and port forwarding for my external access (SFTP).

Are you hinting that after a firmware update, one should factory reset the router and configure it from scratch?? Or only that I might try that because of this issue? While I performed a factory reset and then logged in and did the initial security questions, I used a saved .cfg file (from well before the slowdown).

Hope I've addressed everything.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@conductor wrote:

Current firmware 4.6.8.5 with 4.6.9.11 downloaded and ready to be reinstalled. "Reinstalled," because that was the firmware installed sometime after July 4 -- the only change I could isolate between the good Orbi speed test of July 4 and recent testing by various means that showed the 50% slowdown. My testing of the two firmware versions showed no difference in speed between the two firmware versions.

Satellites are within 30 feet. There was no change to the physical configuration between RBR and the two RBSs before the slowdown was noticed.

RBS should be 30 feet or more. Any closer than 30 feet causes too much wifi over lap and problems. 

Home size about 1500 square feet. Router very near the middle and satellites on either end. Again, this configuration and placement are consistent and have worked well historically with both RBR50 and RBR750 ... until sometime after July 4, the date of the last test showing speed slightly over 200 Mbps (download).

For this is size of home, having two or more RBS deployed is too much. The RBR alone can handle this kind of coverage. Maybe one RBS with the transmit power set to 25% would be all that would be needed:

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

I have a 5000 sq ft home and get away with 1 RBS most of the time. If I run two RBS then power gets set to 50% here. 

Channels are Auto and 48, respectively. I tried 44 -- no change. And again, these and the others you mention have not varied before/after slowdown. About 10 wireless networks visible beyond mine. No change from before, though people do tend to change the names from time to time.

No Armor or Traffic Meter on. I have no idea what you mean by "SPC," which may be a firmware feature for the RBR750 but not the RBR50, which is currently running. I'll set up the 750 and let you know if I find it. The other configuration items are not variable between good and bad testing.

Reboots have been numerous, both modem and router, in proper sequence. I have not reconfigured settings from scratch recently but rather used a configuration saved before the slowdown occurred.

While I appreciate -- no, really! -- your thorough questioning, I want to keep emphasizing that I did not mess with the configuration except to turn off UPnP (security issue). I cannot think of any change in software or physical configuration to blame for the slowdown. I am tempted to say there absolutely had been none, but in fact I did turn off UPnP and at some point about 4 or 5 months ago -- well before the slowdown -- I reconfigured the router from scratch, using notes I had made from the previous setup for LAN address reservation (2 devices that need a permanent IP), email setup, and port forwarding for my external access (SFTP).

Are you hinting that after a firmware update, one should factory reset the router and configure it from scratch?? Or only that I might try that because of this issue? While I performed a factory reset and then logged in and did the initial security questions, I used a saved .cfg file (from well before the slowdown).

I would try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configuration from file. Set up the wifi SSID and password and that's its. I would set a different PW temporarily to keep all other wifi devices from connecting. Do nothing else. I would turn OFF the RBS temporarily. Run a speed test from a wired PC connected to the back of the RBR using Ooklas installable speed test app. Try a different wired PC to compare results. Then try your best wifi device to check wireless speeds at the RBR. If you don't see any improvement here, you should contact NG support and ask for additional help and possible RMA. 

I ran my 7 series for 6+ days with v.11 loaded and didn't see this issue. Thought I don't have the same model modem. 

Message 8 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

Both satellites are greater than 30 feet from the router.

I reset the RBR750 router as you suggested and used the default network credentials (no other configuration). Some Apple devices (MacBook Pro, 2 phones, and at least one iPad) connected to it immediately, which I find strange, as I never have used previously the default credentials. With RBS satellites unplugged from power and using the iMac with an ethernet connection to the RBR750, the built-in router (Ookla) speedtest as well as the Ookla Speedtest app on my iPhone 13 Pro yielded the same 50% reduction in download speed as before.

While I take seriously your suggestion that a router with satellites is overkill for the size of my house, such overkill is also present with the RBR50 system with 2 satellites that shows 100% of the expected download speed. There are no satellites, of course, with the Nighthawk X4S (R7800), which provides a fairly strong signal throughout the house and also shows 100% of expected speed.

It has just occurred to me that the cause of the issue may be attributable to a lightning strike to a tree in the woods about 70-80 yards from the house on July 25. It blew all of the bark off the tree, some of it landing in our yard. It was the second nearby strike of the summer, the other probably 200 yards away and in a another direction. All of my sensitive electronics, the RBR750 included, are connected to Uninterruptible Power Supplies in the house. The UPS serving the RBR750 is a CyberPower 1500 PFCLCD. The RBR750 is connected to the "surge and power protection" side, whereas the 27" iMac is connected to the surge only side. This strike did not affect power to the neighborhood, and I noticed nothing unusual about the operation of anything in the house following it. This theory fits the timeline that prior to the date of the strike, July 4, there was a speedtest showing full download speed. Following the date -- many days following -- when I noticed some sluggishness, the speedtests showed reduced download speed.

I imagine that this sudden recollection will be an easy scapegoat.

Message 9 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@conductor wrote:

And the one year hardware warranty has already expired.  Darn.

One additional test would be to find someone who will allow you to temporarily connect the RBR750 to their internet modem to perform the speed test.

I am usually a bit indifferent to users who bemoan not getting their full gigabit download speeds. Achieving only 100mb might actually be a serious impact on usability.  I would rather go back to the RBR50.

RBR750s are selling for under $100 on eBay.  When my RBR50 hardware warranty expired, I purchased an RBR50 on eBay to have a spare on hand.  (I actually use it to conduct goofy experiments until [or if?] I ever need it.)

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I was hoping a clean reset and setup with just the RBR alone would maybe result in better findings. Seems like the RBR is fautly.  

WIth the lighting strike, if the RBR had been working up to this point then afterwards saw this problem, the strike could have done something. Electricity can work in mysterious ways. 

Not sure of NG support would be helpful in this area. I would check places like amazon or ebay for another RBR750. 

@conductor wrote:

Both satellites are greater than 30 feet from the router.

I reset the RBR750 router as you suggested and used the default network credentials (no other configuration). Some Apple devices (MacBook Pro, 2 phones, and at least one iPad) connected to it immediately, which I find strange, as I never have used previously the default credentials. With RBS satellites unplugged from power and using the iMac with an ethernet connection to the RBR750, the built-in router (Ookla) speedtest as well as the Ookla Speedtest app on my iPhone 13 Pro yielded the same 50% reduction in download speed as before.

While I take seriously your suggestion that a router with satellites is overkill for the size of my house, such overkill is also present with the RBR50 system with 2 satellites that shows 100% of the expected download speed. There are no satellites, of course, with the Nighthawk X4S (R7800), which provides a fairly strong signal throughout the house and also shows 100% of expected speed.

It has just occurred to me that the cause of the issue may be attributable to a lightning strike to a tree in the woods about 70-80 yards from the house on July 25. It blew all of the bark off the tree, some of it landing in our yard. It was the second nearby strike of the summer, the other probably 200 yards away and in a another direction. All of my sensitive electronics, the RBR750 included, are connected to Uninterruptible Power Supplies in the house. The UPS serving the RBR750 is a CyberPower 1500 PFCLCD. The RBR750 is connected to the "surge and power protection" side, whereas the 27" iMac is connected to the surge only side. This strike did not affect power to the neighborhood, and I noticed nothing unusual about the operation of anything in the house following it. This theory fits the timeline that prior to the date of the strike, July 4, there was a speedtest showing full download speed. Following the date -- many days following -- when I noticed some sluggishness, the speedtests showed reduced download speed.

Message 11 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

Yep, the strike is a wild hair (hare?) that is easier to deal with, esp since there seems to be no other theory that has not been tested — including the “different modem” scenario. Remember, that same modem yields 100% speed with two other routers on hand. I have thought about using homeowner insurance, but my deductible would cover the cost of a new RBR750 — and raise my rates! Thanks for the eBay suggestion. I’ll take a look.
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

I have a reconditioned/refurbished/refreshed RBR750 on the way, due to arrive tomorrow. Thanks to the three of you who responded. Too bad no one has a solution for lightning strikes. 😉

I will mark this case "Solved," since the more I have thought about it the more I have concluded that lightning is not a scapegoat but the cause.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the replacement works. 

Ya those lightning strikes are hard to predict or if you new, then you could disconnect everything before hand. 😉

Message 15 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

My late mother insisted on unplugging TV, radio, and who knows what else before leaving the house long before the Internet — even on a sunny day. I would always chuckle. No more. My habit is to turn off TV and computers if it’s stormy, but not to unplug them. I have trusted multiple UPSs to keep them and the modem/router safe. To say the least, I am re-thinking that pattern in some detail, reminding me of the TV ad (for an insurance company) about young homeowners becoming their parents. Oh, that’s right, I’m not young. 🤦🏼👩🏼‍🦼
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

LOL, don't feel alone Sir. 😉

Message 17 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

The replacement RBR750 arrived and has been running perfectly since the late on September 30. Speedtest is as expected now.

I note that replacing a same-model router and connecting the satellites is not as simple as I anticipated. The router firmware began updating immediately -- a process that was not immediately visible as I was attempting to login and change both the login and WiFi credentials. Once I realized what was happening, I waited until the process finished. I then completed the setup from scratch and made a backup of the configuration.

My satellites that had been connected via backhaul to the old RBR750 had to be reset (with a paperclip) in order for them to forget the old router and to shake hands with the replacement. I didn't expect a reset would be necessary, but they simply would not connect until I did that.

So it was a learning experience, and now, of course, I am an expert, waiting for the crudely generated tag to be updated on my Netgear profile.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the 1st RBR was faulty then. Glad the replacement is working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 19 of 21
conductor
Aspirant

I see your link, but as I said, I saved a backup when I finished the scratch configuration.

After searching on the page and on the entire site for over 15 minutes, a link is needed on how to mark a topic solved. The dropdown box does not offer that option for "Topics."

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements