Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 issues

stsh
Star

RBR750 issues

A few months ago I upgraded to the RBR750 from an older Orbi system.

And I keep finding problems with this new router. 

1. DNS - what is going on with the DNS? Are netgear planning to fix it at some point? This is really the basic stuff for a router. It should have functional DNS server.

I am definetely not the only one having random denied requests on DNS. I sort of fixed it by copying the resolv.conf file to a less busy directory. And starting the dnsmasq process using the new file.

It works. But It's basically a hack of a home user grade product. When Netgear are planning to fix this in their firmware?

2. Today I realized something even more interesting. UPNP. 

If I let my NAS configure ports on the router via UPNP it partially works. The log says that the ports were configured. I can connect from outside on these ports. But the UPNP list on the router is empty. It should show the list of ports that were configured but it is not. The other thing is - I say partially works because while I can reach the device from outside It blocks me when trying to get to it from the inside the network. Now - if I configure the port forwarding manually - everything works as expected. 

The funny part is that all of this was perfectly functional on the old Orbi. They broke it with the new hardware. Unfortunately I'm beyond the return period otherwise this piece of crap would go back to the store.

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 issues

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

For DNS issue, please review this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768/jump-t...

Some have tried the iPv6 6to4 as a work around solution. Or used the Orbi system in AP mode. Some have not seen this issue as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768/jump-t...

For uPnP seen on the RBRs web page, seems to be a UI issue. Something to contact NG support about to let them know. 

Message 2 of 6
stsh
Star

Both of these issues are NG issues. That doesn't help though. 

I just provided an answer and a tested solution to the DNS thread - but again... There should be NG firmware release that fixes this. It makes no sense that users have to do these workaraunds to siumply use a product that they bought.

Is upnp also a known issue????

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Again, something to contact NG support about. The forum can only do so much and this seems to be more in the hands of NG so they need to address it and the uPnP issue.This was mentioned a while back as well.  The work arounds are to try out. Up to users to try them or not. Just like what you posted. It's a work around. Of course it would be helpful to know how that was done. 

Message 4 of 6
stsh
Star

Yep, I'm not going to waste my time with 1st line tech support from India doing restarts and resets. 

That's not going to happen.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. NG dev nor support visit the forums. Some moderators do when tagged though they don't post much. So any visiibility from users needs to be thru NG support channels. Others in that other thread have mentioned submitting tickets already. So I presume it's already in NG ballpark. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7