Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 mystery devices connected to network

boscom
Tutor

RBR750 mystery devices connected to network

Found mystery device on my network. Was on latest version of firmware as of today. After hours of troubleshooting, I found that it was my own iPhone!!! My iPhone showed up twice, once as the name I have given it, and once as a partial MAC address. I found that Apple has released 'Private Address' as a default so that you join networks somewhat anonymously. This makes it much more difficult for me to manage known devices. I ended up shutting off the private address feature on all iPhones in the house. Thought I'd let the community know because Netgear Support was unaware of this issue.

To find the setting, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > click the 'i' next to the network you are on, slide Private Address to off position, and then you'll go back to seeing your iPhone by the name you gave it (in Settings > General > About > Name). Hope it helps the Community!

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR750 mystery devices connected to network

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you reached someone who was having a bad day, because this 'feature' has been annoying Orbi owners since iOS 14 came out.  The same feature also exists on Android phones and Windows laptops.  And almost every software update (iOS and Android) changes it back to the *&%($#* anonymous MAC setting.

Message 2 of 4
boscom
Tutor

i had the google nest wifi with the built in speaker. it was horrible! it took my gigabit network and cut the speed down to 10 - 20 Mbps. i went to a friend's house who was using deco, and i couldn't believe i was getting speeds of 900 Mbps over wifi! then i realized i should be able to get better speeds. after a ton of research, and a black friday deal at costco, i found orbi, and i can say both coverage and speeds are excellent. it's only been 2 weeks, and despite relatively minor issues, so far i love my orbi too! 🙂 

i signed up for the 2 yr prosupport because i'm not a networking guy, but so far, i've found a couple situations where i'm a little ahead of support. another little nugget i found - the orbi app for iphone netgear armor log is showing events in UTC instead of local time. if you login to the web-based admin page, it shows events in local time. i've told them a couple times that this is a bug but don't feel confident that they're creating an internal ticket to fix it. i really hope they're listening so they can continue to improve the mobile app.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding Armor, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Armor product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Armor and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this gorum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor
https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor

Do keep in contact with NG support as well. 

Thank you. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7