Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 router restarting randomly

R0ck3tman
Aspirant

RBR750 router restarting randomly

I have the RBK753 with the RBR750 and two satellites. All seems to be working well except for reboots of the router that seem to happen randomly. I'll be working on something and all of a sudden my internet stops working. When I check the router it gives me the router password reset page. If I wait a few minutes the normal management page comes up and my internet starts working again. The Router is plugged into a surge protector with other devices that are not having any issues. So it is not a power issue. I can't seem to find any logs to tell me what is happening. The current firmware is V3.2.18.1_4.14. It is getting very frustrating. It just happened twice in the last hour. 

On a side note, I've noticed that there are not very many WIFI settings that I can change such as beamforming even in the Advanced settings. Is that normal for this router?

Message 1 of 22

@R0ck3tman wrote:

I have the RBK753 with the RBR750 and two satellites.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here. However, Orbi devices are not simple routers, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@R0ck3tman wrote:

I have the RBK753 with the RBR750 and two satellites. All seems to be working well except for reboots of the router that seem to happen randomly. I'll be working on something and all of a sudden my internet stops working. When I check the router it gives me the router password reset page. If I wait a few minutes the normal management page comes up and my internet starts working again. The Router is plugged into a surge protector with other devices that are not having any issues. So it is not a power issue. I can't seem to find any logs to tell me what is happening. The current firmware is V3.2.18.1_4.14. It is getting very frustrating. It just happened twice in the last hour. 

On a side note, I've noticed that there are not very many WIFI settings that I can change such as beamforming even in the Advanced settings. Is that normal for this router?

Message 3 of 22
R0ck3tman
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The modem is my own and is a Netgear CM700. It seems to be ok when this happens as I can log in to it just fine. The home is 4900 square feet. I have the Router and one satellite on the main floor the satellite is about 30 ft from the router. But, as I stated, it doesn't seem to be the satellite disconnecting but the router is rebooting. I was hoping to get some guidance on how to get more logs from the router to determine why it is rebooting.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you turn OFF the RBS, does the RBR still exhibit this problem? 

Has a full factory reset and setup from scratch of the RBR and RBS and power OFF of the ISP modem been performed since last FW update? 

What kind of cable are you using between the RBR and ISP modem? CAT6 is recommended. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 5 of 22
R0ck3tman
Aspirant

I haven't tried disconnecting the Satellite and seeing if it exhibits the problem. I'm not sure when the last firmware update was and I haven't done a full factory reset because of the hassle of logging everything back into the wifi. The cable is a cat 6 cable. and there are a couple of neighbors but not many. But, I don't think the cable, neighbors, or turning off the satellite are going to be causes of the router rebooting randomly.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch? 

How was the system updated? Auto updated itself or did you apply the update thru the RBRs web page?

Message 7 of 22
jhmoser15
Guide

I have the same issue, started after I upgraded to the latest firmware.  My setup is and RBR850 and 2 RBS850s.  Any updates?

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch? 

How was the system updated? Auto updated itself or did you apply the update thru the RBRs web page?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@jhmoser15 wrote:

I have the same issue, started after I upgraded to the latest firmware.  My setup is and RBR850 and 2 RBS850s.  Any updates?

Message 9 of 22
jhmoser15
Guide

updated manually aand i did a reset afterwards still having the issue

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

@jhmoser15 wrote:

updated manually aand i did a reset afterwards still having the issue

Message 11 of 22
jhmoser15
Guide

i am. on fiber, and it is connected to a UBNT Edgerouter 12p

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR in router or AP mode? 

The Edge 12P is already a router in front of the RBR. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 13 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jhmoser15

I already received and responded to your message. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@R0ck3tman wrote:

I haven't tried disconnecting the Satellite and seeing if it exhibits the problem. I'm not sure when the last firmware update was and I haven't done a full factory reset because of the hassle of logging everything back into the wifi. The cable is a cat 6 cable. and there are a couple of neighbors but not many. But, I don't think the cable, neighbors, or turning off the satellite are going to be causes of the router rebooting randomly.

Message 15 of 22
jhmoser15
Guide

I am running in AP mode.

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Check your messages...

@jhmoser15 wrote:

I am running in AP mode.

Message 17 of 22
R0ck3tman
Aspirant

No progress yet. I tried downgrading to 3.2.17 but it auto upgraded back to 3.2.18. Can't find a way to turn off the auto upgrade. It is still happening several times a day.

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, will see about getting you a beta that you should try out.

@R0ck3tman wrote:

No progress yet. I tried downgrading to 3.2.17 but it auto upgraded back to 3.2.18. Can't find a way to turn off the auto upgrade. It is still happening several times a day.

Message 19 of 22
PeterMBX
Aspirant

I am also having this problem and have some more information to add.

I have been having this issue since late May.  I have slowly but surely replaced everything in my network setup, including the UPS it's connected to, and I even returned my Orbi routers to Costco and purchased a new set (this persisted across physical hardware).

I downgraded to V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 (if you upgrade the satellites first, and then the router, the router will not AUTO update back to the newer firmware), sadly, it still happens.

I have broken my internet down to the most basic set up, I have a FIOS G1100 router, which is in bridge mode and the orbi is acting as a router, not an AP (tho this happened when it was in BRIDGE mode with the FIOS acting as the router).

My reboots seem to happen once every other day, not many times a day, but when it happens my RBR has a white light, and the entire network goes down for about 2 minutes. 

Message 20 of 22
edja
Aspirant

My Orbi RBR750 is also rebooting seemingly randomly.  Have not fully troubleshot the issue but wanted to chime in a let you all know that the issue is more prevalent.

Message 21 of 22
Phil_T_AU
Tutor

I have the same issue. Was there a resolution to this issue?

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7