Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 wifi speed stuck at 20 Mbps after firmware update

752User
Aspirant

RBR750 wifi speed stuck at 20 Mbps after firmware update

I have had the 752 series (router+2 satellites) for over a year - no issues at all.

I have a gig speed fibre connection and was consistently getting 350+ on my wifi in various parts of the house (two satellites+router). I haven't had to check recently, but last week, noticed the speed wasn't as much as i had hoped, and found out that WiFi is now maxing out at 20-21 Mbps. Only thing different i can see is the firmware (first to 4.6.3.16_2.0.51) - wasn't sure what i was at before.Now, after another update (V4.6.5.14_2.0.54 ), still the same issue.

Similar issue reported for 850 (although i never get even the blip of a great connection) - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Netgear-RBR850-wireless-speeds-are-dropping/m-p/2160344

Same devices, same distances, no other changes.Wired connection is working as expected - 900 Mbps+

Any thoughts on where to look for troubleshooting?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 wifi speed stuck at 20 Mbps after firmware update

Whats the model # of the ONT? 

Do a backup configuration to file pre reset:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Once you have this, I would reset the RBS and RBR, power OFF for a minute then back ON. I would set up only the RBR first, once the setup wizard is completed. Run some speed test both wired and wireless BEFORE applying the backup config file. Don't enable Armor, Access Controls, SPC or Traffic meter. Check speeds first, then apply the backup config and setup the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 8
752User
Aspirant

Thank you - i have tried powercycling, to no avail. No modem, just ONT (Verizon Fios).

As for factory reset, i am wary (too many settings to re-do), but also don't have the time right now.

Should i be able to retrieve settings from backup after factory reset? if not, that's a big enough reason for me to think twice.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model # of the ONT? 

Do a backup configuration to file pre reset:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Once you have this, I would reset the RBS and RBR, power OFF for a minute then back ON. I would set up only the RBR first, once the setup wizard is completed. Run some speed test both wired and wireless BEFORE applying the backup config file. Don't enable Armor, Access Controls, SPC or Traffic meter. Check speeds first, then apply the backup config and setup the RBS. 

Message 4 of 8
752User
Aspirant

Thank you again- i am not sure of my ONT model - not at the house now, so will find soon.

Sounds simple, even if time taking. Will try over the weekend.

Thanks again. Will update in a few days.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 8
752User
Aspirant

Finally - the reset worked!!! Thanks @FURRYe38 

Quick note - i reset everything once, it was great. Then i restored settings from before the reset (i didnt want to go through the whole process), and it broke again. Not sure what was in the settings (didn't think anything firmware-related was in there).

Either way, another reset and manual update later, i'm back. Now i just have to figure out how to stop it from auto-updates.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might save off a new backup config to file. Maybe something in the older back up could be causing problems. Seen this before. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7