Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 with Regular Guest WiFi Drops

Ra21V12eN
Tutor

RBR750 with Regular Guest WiFi Drops

Thought I had posted this within this forum but realized after another member posted it went to the main forum.

I have an RBR750 with 2 satellites connected to Comcast via a self owned Netgear cable modem.  I regularly see connection speeds in excess of 500Mbps and the most recent was 599.84Mbps down and 18.58Mbps up.

I've previously contacted support who had me change a mess of Wireless Settings in my router.  They didn't really solve the problems and we'd been gone on vacation for a while and now am past my free support.

The issue that I have is frequent Guest WiFi connection drops on my wireless devices such as iPhone, Android Phone, iPad and my Kindle Fire TV devices.  These devices are all connected on the Guest Network.  I have a work laptop that is also regularly connected to my guest network. The work laptop is connected through a VPN and the only time it ever loses connection is when my internet goes completely down.  I can be working on the laptop, check my phone and the phone will be disconnected but the laptop working just fine.  I'm running the Guest network to keep the other devices isolated from the home network.  Everything on the home Wireless and Wired network works flawlessly.  There are currently 2 hardwired computers, a server and 3 WiFi laptops on the Home Network.

I'm currently on Firmware: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51    I have considered upgrading to the latest firmware but am completely now at a loss if it will address the issue given notes / feedback I've seen.  Got this system this summer because my ancient TP link router gave up the ghost and I'm thinking I made a huge and costly mistake.

Where do I start when it comes to trying to resolve this issue on the Guest Network as there are no real Guest Network settings or options other than On and Off?

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have you disabled AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

Also try using manual channels 11 and 48. 

Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a full facory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Others have mentioned a reset has helped them. You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Also v3.16 FW has been superseded by v5.14:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Message 2 of 18
Ra21V12eN
Tutor

I updated the system last night to the latest firmware to see if that helped at all.

To answer your questions.

1. I'm using a Netgear CM1000 self owned Cable modem directly connected to the Router.
  2. Each of the satellites are greater than 30 feet from the Router and are on opposite sides of the router in a single story 3000 sqft home
  3. There are no WiFi interruptions from the neighbors as I live on a large property.
  4. When I contacted support, they had me use channels 11 and 40 but have changed back to the 48.
  5. CTS was already set like you suggested
  6. There is no option on the Guest Network to adjust AX features only on the home network.  I turned it off on the home network to see if that helps any.

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend turning OFF the ISP modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute or more after a FW update, then back ON with the modem first then RBR then RBS lasty.

Message 4 of 18
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Others and I have this exact issue with mine 750 too like in RBR750 Guest network intermittent connection issue... - NETGEAR Communities and Is it me or is Netgear Orbi RBK753S-100NAS' wifi g... - NETGEAR Communities. I have no problems on non-guest WAPs. I even kept the firmwares updated and resetted my firmwares back to factory defaults. 😞

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@Ra21V12eN wrote:

I updated the system last night to the latest firmware to see if that helped at all.

To answer your questions.

1. I'm using a Netgear CM1000 self owned Cable modem directly connected to the Router.
  2. Each of the satellites are greater than 30 feet from the Router and are on opposite sides of the router in a single story 3000 sqft home
  3. There are no WiFi interruptions from the neighbors as I live on a large property.
  4. When I contacted support, they had me use channels 11 and 40 but have changed back to the 48.
  5. CTS was already set like you suggested
  6. There is no option on the Guest Network to adjust AX features only on the home network.  I turned it off on the home network to see if that helps any.

Message 6 of 18
Ra21V12eN
Tutor

So here's the latest...

I've powered off all the gear, let it sit and then restarted it.

Again, ONLY on the Guest Network do I have this problem.  Now, insead of my Kindle Fire TVSticks erroring out due to no internet, I now get random buffering of TV shows.  When this happens, I log in from the phone app and I see that the Kindle Fire link status is down to something like 6mbs vs. 600+.  Occasionally now while on the phone I'll see it disconnect and reconnect but definitely not as frequently as it did.

Everything hard wired... works fantastic.  Everything on the home WiFi network... works fantastic.  Just the guest network.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you move the devices from the guest network to the main network, they work ok? 

Message 8 of 18
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes for me.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So if you move the devices from the guest network to the main network, they work ok? 

Message 9 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

One random experiment to try is to turn off all but one satellite.  For a long time now, my RBR850 system incurs mysterious periodic satellite disconnects if I power on on the 2nd or 3rd satellite.  I've since given up trying to resolve it and just run with one satellite.  While this is a different symptom than you, it's one more variable to try and eliminate.

Message 10 of 18
KDSASSOC
Guide

i have the exact same problem. my main network works flawlessly throught the house and even in the yard. But I don't want guests on my house network so i turned on the guest network. It drops connection normally every 5 to 60 mins. I'v espent many hours with tech support and still ahve the problem. some of the changes seemed to work at first but then the problem came back. every time i talked to tech support they all asked the same questions that were irrelevant since the main network worked with no drops. then when i finally got to the next level in tech support they tried a few things (factory reset, reflash the FW...) after non of that worked they said they would replace my router. but i don't think that's going to help. this looks like a fW issue not a HW issue. I'm thinking about returning it but the main network works so well.

Message 11 of 18
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@KDSASSOC wrote:

i have the exact same problem. my main network works flawlessly throught the house and even in the yard. But I don't want guests on my house network so i turned on the guest network. It drops connection normally every 5 to 60 mins. I'v espent many hours with tech support and still ahve the problem. some of the changes seemed to work at first but then the problem came back. every time i talked to tech support they all asked the same questions that were irrelevant since the main network worked with no drops. then when i finally got to the next level in tech support they tried a few things (factory reset, reflash the FW...) after non of that worked they said they would replace my router. but i don't think that's going to help. this looks like a fW issue not a HW issue. I'm thinking about returning it but the main network works so well.

Yeah. It seems like they didn't even test the guest wifi network long. We're all experiencing it. 😞

Message 12 of 18
Pete_The_Chop
Aspirant

Same issue with my RBR750 and 2 satellites. This only happens when I run the satellites wired through a switch. If I plug the satellites wired directly into the RBR Router I don't get this issue.

I just upgraded to the newest firmware  V4.6.5.14_2.0.54, same issue regular WIFI network runs great, cannot connec to the guest network at all.

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the guest wifi being run over a separate vLAN to separate the network traffic and make it a guest network?

I don't see anything in the documentation and I haven't sniffed the network though my switches to see if there is a vLAN being broadcast in there somewhere. Just a hunch, don't know what is going on with this issue exactly! It did seem to work on a few firmware's ago but I can't pin point when exactly.

Message 13 of 18
KDSASSOC
Guide

interesting Pete.

My Satellites are connected to the router via wifi. I will disconnect my satellites and see if it occurs with just the router. I have my satelites to far away to connect via a wired ethernet connection. but your symptom sounds like ti gives an interesting clue. i wish that info could get back to the Netgear engineering group.

kevin

Message 14 of 18
keeena
Aspirant

I've been having this problem non-stop since purchasing the product in July 2021 (a bit over 4 months ago). Since this product only has 1 main SSID, I was forced to use the Guest network for non-critical items. Everything on this guest network will experience periods of no internet access. In my experience it seems to be related to 2.4ghz band, but I do have 5ghz devices losing internet.

I'm always on the latest firmware (currently V4.6.5.14_2.0.54). I have 1 router and 1 satellite (RBR750 and RBS750). They are about 40 feet apart w/ 5G backhaul. I've had multiple calls to support but now out of their 3 month support window - all the usual settings changes (channels, MTU, full factory reset, etc...)

I've been seriously disappointed with this product. Following the thread in the hopes that there's a solution eventually posted.

Message 15 of 18
KDSASSOC
Guide

Interesting that there's no many people that I've heard from that have had this problem and when i talked to support they said i was the only one. whch always left me thinking that it was a settign on my system. Just before my 3 months was up they offered a big discount on the extended warranty. so I bought it. Now that we've exhausted all th eoptions they told me they would replace it. but i highly doubt that it could be a hardware problem. so i doubt that replacing it will help. but i may do it just to rule out that its a hardware issue. I wonder how we can get this issue to the right person in Netgear so it gets the proper attention. ideas?

BTW I was going to just return the whole system and get something else but my main network just works so well throught the house and even in the back and front yard i really don't want to return it. So right now i took my old router and connected it to the satellite downstairs and made that a seperate guest network. it doesn't have the reach throught the house like my Orbi network has but its just for guests that come over.

Message 16 of 18
keeena
Aspirant

Your story is similar to mine.

I went through a few rounds with support which was a bit frustrating for a number of reasons. I ultimately got really fed-up and pushed them to take the system back for a refund. The last call I had was 1-2 days after the 3 month mark and they again insisted I go through the steps again (my FW was -just- out of date, so they said they couldn't do anything unless I did that as well as a full reset and all the steps again because some of my previous contact with support wasn't clearly documented as far as what was attempted). They said to wait a couple days to see if the settings helped. They said if I still had issues they would consider a RMA to swap the equipement. I have a hard time believing this is a HW issue, but ultimately I don't care and wanted to return it outright. They also tried to push the Extended Support. Good business model, though. Sell a poor product then charge money to support it. 🙂

Lesson learned from me. Being really busy I don't have time to follow-up every week with tickets (in some cases I'd call or try a chat, never get anywhere or be on hold/disconnected). 3 months goes by quickly. I should have trusted my gut in the first month and just brought it back to the store.

Message 17 of 18
KDSASSOC
Guide

i bought mine at costco and i'm pretty sure they'll take it bck. My problem is that the main network works flawlessly. I pay for 400Mbps from comcast/infinity and i get typically 450-500 at the router. I'm getting anywhere from 350-450 throught the house. i'm even getting 350Mbps in the garage. the only reason i need a guest network is that i don't want guests on my main network. and i'm not sure what i'd buy who's main network works as well as the orbi. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7