Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750

rsmorpheus
Aspirant

RBR750

I have an Orbi RBR750 mesh system running with only one satellite. I have a few IoT appliances in my house that run on 2.4ghz only. I have tried the steps on some of these similar issues:

"It is impossible to "turn off" the 5G WiFi.  What can be done is this:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel")"

I get stuck on the last items since that option is not available in the menu either on the orbi app and on the web login. I have no older 2.4ghz devices that I can use to set them up with apps. What are some other things I can try, to get my Samsung Note9 to stay on 2.4ghz connection to set these items up?

Message 1 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBR750

@rsmorpheus wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR750 mesh system running with only one satellite. I have a few IoT appliances in my house that run on 2.4ghz only. I have tried the steps on some of these similar issues:

"It is impossible to "turn off" the 5G WiFi.  What can be done is this:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel")"

I get stuck on the last items since that option is not available in the menu either on the orbi app and on the web login. I have no older 2.4ghz devices that I can use to set them up with apps. What are some other things I can try, to get my Samsung Note9 to stay on 2.4ghz connection to set these items up?

The Orbi AX series don't have an option to turn off the Broadcast SSID.  The best you can do is lower the power from 100% to 25% and see if that is sufficient to hide the 5Ghz network from your phone.  Walk beyond the shorter 5Ghz and connect to your Orbi network (presumably by 2.4Ghz).

Again, it's not that IoT devices require 2.4Ghz that's the problem but that the setup apps for these devices assume you can connect your phone to a 2.4Ghz network.  What IoT devices do you have that cannot be setup unless your phone app connects to the 2.4Ghz network?  Some devices offer alternative setup methods to identify the 2.4Ghz network and provide the password, like by not using an app or by connecting to a wifi network the device broadcasts itself. 

Message 2 of 5
rsmorpheus
Aspirant

I  see no option for adjusting any power. Please see the attachment on the OP.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@rsmorpheus wrote:

I  see no option for adjusting any power. Please see the attachment on the OP.

See your attachment again 8-) ... "Transmit power"

Why does everybody nag on the Mesh system? Correct is that the phone does temporarily find a hidden SSID on the IoJ and connect to the device initially, so it can push the network settings (SSID, wireless key, ...) to the device. At no point, it's required that the phone is connected to the 2.4 GHz radio on your Nighthawk Mesh network - the data is the same for the 2.4 and the 5 GHz.

Complain with the crApp IoJ maker to remove the nonsense test that the phone "must" be connected to a "2.4 GHz network", at least they should add a "continue" button at this step. Mesh systems connect to the same network using the same SSID, regardless if the system is using 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz, or 60 GHz radio connection - they can just go and read the current connected SSID and security key regardless...

Provide them a link to this post - otherwise, this nonsense never ends.

Message 4 of 5
rsmorpheus
Aspirant

If the app is written that way then yes, at that point my phone would require it be connected to the 2.4ghz on my ORBI system. I understand the SSID is the same, but not to those apps. Thanks for pointing out the transmit power on the screen.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7