Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR760 Device Connections

Jeff555
Aspirant

RBR760 Device Connections

I had an older Orbi AC3000 with only one satellite and recently upgraded to the RBR760 with two satellites. The problem we are experiencing is we have many devices within a 10 feet radius of one satellite that are connecting to the router that is upstairs and, through walls, at least 50 feet away.

In addition, our cell phones are repeatedly dropping the wifi connections for unknown reasons.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR760 Device Connections

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What devices do you all have connected to the system?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
Jeff555
Aspirant

Firmware v6.3.1.0_1.1.41

ISP is Comcast with a ARRIS Surfboard SB6190

Home is 3,500 sq ft on 2 levels

Used the cable that came with the Orbi between Orbi and the modem

We have 35 devices connected to the system

Of those, I have a PC plugged into one of the satellites and a Smartthings hub and Philips hub plugged directly into the router

For wifi connections, TVs, Rokus, Apple 4K, DTV, laptop, Apple and Samsung phones, ...

You asked about neighbors and I do see a neighbors Orbi device. We have only one neighbor close by, but I do see two other networks.

I have auto and 40 set for channels

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Jeff555 wrote:

Firmware v6.3.1.0_1.1.41> May want to review new FW updates: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBR760-RBS760-Firmware-Version-6-3-2...

ISP is Comcast with a ARRIS Surfboard SB6190> Might consider a new modem. This model modem has long standing known problems.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Home is 3,500 sq ft on 2 levels> For this size of home having two RBS maybe too much:

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Might try turning OFF one RBS or reduce the power from 100% to 25% Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Used the cable that came with the Orbi between Orbi and the modem

We have 35 devices connected to the system

Of those, I have a PC plugged into one of the satellites and a Smartthings hub and Philips hub plugged directly into the router> Do these SmartThings and Philips hubs have there own wifi signal? 

For wifi connections, TVs, Rokus, Apple 4K, DTV, laptop, Apple and Samsung phones, ...

You asked about neighbors and I do see a neighbors Orbi device. We have only one neighbor close by, but I do see two other networks. > Can you see what channels they are using? 

I have auto and 40 set for channels

Message 4 of 8
Jeff555
Aspirant

I went with the new Orbi because I moved to permanent Telework. When that happened, I loved the one satellite on the AC3000 from the FR (one corner of the main level) to the LR (opposite corner of the main level) so that I could use the ethernet port on the satellite. When I did this, Devices being used in the FR were pausing and disconnecting a lot. But, I previously had not problems between that modem and the older Orbi setup.

I will check FW updates this afternoon for sure.

There is definitely 30 feet between all 3 devices (RBR to each RBS and RBS to RBS).

The neighbors Orbi appeared to be using Channel 5 for sure, but now all of a sudden I cannot see it. My system appears to be using channel 9 with 40. I will change that to 48 as you suggested when I can interrupt work.

The hubs use the network, not wifi.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Jeff555 wrote:

I went with the new Orbi because I moved to permanent Telework. When that happened, I loved the one satellite on the AC3000 from the FR (one corner of the main level) to the LR (opposite corner of the main level) so that I could use the ethernet port on the satellite. When I did this, Devices being used in the FR were pausing and disconnecting a lot. But, I previously had not problems between that modem and the older Orbi setup.

Try lowering the power to 25%.

I will check FW updates this afternoon for sure.

There is definitely 30 feet between all 3 devices (RBR to each RBS and RBS to RBS).

The neighbors Orbi appeared to be using Channel 5 for sure, but now all of a sudden I cannot see it. My system appears to be using channel 9 with 40. I will change that to 48 as you suggested when I can interrupt work.

Try usnig channels 11 and 48

The hubs use the network, not wifi.

Message 6 of 8
Jeff555
Aspirant

I checked out the Firmware and it says I am current.

Changed the channels as recommended and reduced the power (only to 50%, wanted to try that first).

The latter process on the power changed everything. Devices appear connected as they should be based on their current location.

Unless you have any other recommendation, I truly appreciate your assistance. Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7