Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 - 5G wifi still available AFTER disabled in settings?

G_HK
Aspirant

RBR850 - 5G wifi still available AFTER disabled in settings?

Has anyone else noticed that on the RBR850 with Firmware Version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51, even if you disable 5Ghz wifi, 5G devices remain connected and accessible? So it seems the disable 5Ghz button does nothing?

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 - 5G wifi still available AFTER disabled in settings?

You can't disable 5Ghz on the RBR or any radio. If you removed the AX mode from next to the 5G under Basic Tab/Wireless settings you only disabled the AX mode on 5Ghz is all. ALL radios will always be active.

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your system working otherwise? 

@G_HK wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that on the RBR850 with Firmware Version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51, even if you disable 5Ghz wifi, 5G devices remain connected and accessible? So it seems the disable 5Ghz button does nothing?

Message 3 of 14
G_HK
Aspirant

No, not particulary, especially when you factor in the cost of it. It needs at least a nightly reboot, it it doesn't have this then the system is unstable, continually drops devices connected over wifi and has general stability issues.

I'm currently also trying to diagnose why all my connected devices seem to drop connection every 1 to 2 hours. I initially thought it was a faulty radio on either 2.4 or 5 but as you'e pointed out I can't disable either radio so no real way to diagnose.

I'm thinking of going with a alternative product as it's taking too much time to diagnose and causing too much disruption in the house hold!

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So lets review this and I recommend giving it a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...
Current release versions of v4 FW has been problematic for lots of users since last year. 

Please read and follow the upgrade information and what to do after the FW is loaded. 

I've been using this for past 10 days with no problems. 

Message 5 of 14
G_HK
Aspirant

ok thanks - firmware updated, fingers crossed!! Also - any reason why this didn't show up on the 'firmware update' page when scanning for new firmware?

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a pre-release beta and NG doesn't push these out. Only meant to bring some stability to Orbi AX users since v4 first appeared, it's been a mess since. Smiley Frustrated Where hoping this is in the right direction now. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
G_HK
Aspirant

So 24 hours or so, has been definitely more stable than the last firmware BUT:
- wifi issues still exist, devices seem to still flap between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
- All devices seem to disconnect for about 2/3 seconds on a intermittent basis (around every 3 hours)
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer then back ON with the modem first the RBR then RBS lastly? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 9 of 14
G_HK
Aspirant

Hiya,

So I did power off everything thing in order so that's not a issue.

House size is ~2000 sq ft. Router and satellite are on different floors at opposite ends of the house, connected using wired backhaul so not reliant on wifi backhaul. 

Was using chan 8 on 2.4g and 40 on 5g, have changed now to auto on 2.4 adn 48 on 5. I've found that removing the ability of devices in the house to roam to the 5g band actually results in a much more stable connection as previously the intermittent drops (I now believe) are being cause by devices continually cycling between 2.4g and 5g. Issue is that 5g coverage in the house isn't great so it's moving from full bars 2.4g to one bar 5g, losing signal then cycling back to 2.4g.

Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@G_HK wrote:

Was using chan 8 on 2.4g and 40 on 5g, have changed now to auto on 2.4 adn 48 on 5. I've found that removing the ability of devices in the house to roam to the 5g band actually results in a much more stable connection

Could you please explain how this is accomplished?  On the devices themselves?

Message 11 of 14
G_HK
Aspirant

Yes - disabling 5G on individual devices

Message 12 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Fortunate to have devices with the capability (mostly computers, laptops?)

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 

@G_HK wrote:

Hiya,

So I did power off everything thing in order so that's not a issue.

House size is ~2000 sq ft. Router and satellite are on different floors at opposite ends of the house, connected using wired backhaul so not reliant on wifi backhaul. 

Was using chan 8 on 2.4g and 40 on 5g, have changed now to auto on 2.4 adn 48 on 5. I've found that removing the ability of devices in the house to roam to the 5g band actually results in a much more stable connection as previously the intermittent drops (I now believe) are being cause by devices continually cycling between 2.4g and 5g. Issue is that 5g coverage in the house isn't great so it's moving from full bars 2.4g to one bar 5g, losing signal then cycling back to 2.4g.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7