Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

You can use the RBR in AP mode with your prior router if you want to try this configuration. 

If this fails to resolve any of your issues, you'll need to revert FW back to v3.1.5.23 on your RBR

NG doesn't post if or when new FW will be forth coming. You'll need to keep an eye here in the forums or on NG download site for the Orbi AX. 

@DPirkl wrote:

I have had the same issues of dropped Skpe for Business meetings and calls starting 3 days ago both connected and Wifi. Reset both modem and RBR850 and satellite (RBK852) but no change.  Called Spectrum and they looked at my records and saw only 1 drop and that was when I didi the modem reboot. Spectum is not the problem.  I pulled the RBR850 and replace it with my old N900.  The problem is now totally gone. I called Netgear and have a incident ticket number. They told me that others are having the same issue as this thread indicates.  I was told by NG this morning that I could revert back to an earlier FW but I have not the time.  I would like to know if NG has any timing on a fix any time soon because if they don't, I will try the FW change route.  If they are close to a fix I will stay on my old N900 until released.  It seems there is a lot of fiddling and not a prescibed work thru that has to go with reverting back to the earlier FW based on what I have read here that I would like to avoid if we are looking at a quick FW fix.

NG Please share your expected fix timing!

Message 76 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

Just an FYI for anyone who's downgrading their firmware: the Orbi will auto-update itself unless you stop it from doing so.  This happened to me, though seemingly my network is more stable now (I did a factory reset and downgrade, then was automatically re-upgraded).  For whatever reason, things seem more stable on my network since going through the downgrade, reset, and upgrade process.  I'm keeping an eye on it though.

Message 77 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you back on v10.11? 

If you are, be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347.

@d1mmy wrote:

Just an FYI for anyone who's downgrading their firmware: the Orbi will auto-update itself unless you stop it from doing so.  This happened to me, though seemingly my network is more stable now (I did a factory reset and downgrade, then was automatically re-upgraded).  For whatever reason, things seem more stable on my network since going through the downgrade, reset, and upgrade process.  I'm keeping an eye on it though.

Message 78 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there no way to turn off auto update?  

Message 79 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So are you back on v10.11? 

If you are, be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347.

@d1mmy wrote:

Yes, I'm back on 3.2.10.11 and it set me back to CTS/RTS defaults of 64.  I'll bump it up as a first next step if I encounter additional connectivity issues.  My problems could have been resolved by the factory reset (for all you other folks out there...it's a PITA, but might work).

Message 80 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

@DBV wrote:

Is there no way to turn off auto update?  

xnolightx included instructions on how to disable auto-update:

3) Once everything has restarted, log into the main router's debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and click the enable Telnet button.

4) On a windows pc open a command prompt. Type telnet 192.168.1.1

5) Once a telnet session is established type:

5.1 nvram set auto_update_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

6) On the debug page disable telnet.

Message 81 of 362
xnolightx
Star

@DBV I provided instructions earlier for this:

To get back to 3.1.5.23 I had to do the following:

1) Log into the satellite's administration page directly (via the satellite's IP address) and click on firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 firmware version.

2) Log into the RBR (main unit) and click on Administration\Firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 version on the RBR (main unit).

3) Once everything has restarted, log into the main router's debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and click the enable Telnet button.

4) On a windows pc open a command prompt. Type telnet 192.168.1.1

5) Once a telnet session is established type:

5.1 nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

6) On the debug page disable telnet.

You will be on 3.1.5.23 and your Orbi will no longer automatically reach out for firmware updates.

Message 82 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks - all I have is Mac's.  Is there a way to do that their too?

Message 83 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

I use this for OSX:

https://emtec.com/download.html

@DBV wrote:

Message 84 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

@DBV wrote:

This may help: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Telnet-on-Mac-OS-X

Message 85 of 362
oaihfs98fyds
Initiate

I am experiencing the same issue. Been using the router since December. No issues until now.

Have called support 4 times. Have sent logs of the disconnects to my support case. Still no resolution. Had to switch back to my old TP link router while Netgear tries to find a fix for the random frequent drops. Have been advised they cannot provide refunds even though the product is under warranty. 

Message 86 of 362
oaihfs98fyds
Initiate

From my support case:
Was able to verify registered account information? Yes - updated profile =========== Technical History and Information ============ - Is the customer aware of the NG or Orbi app? Yes If not, did you promote the app to the customer? If not, why? ISP: Frontier Modem: ONT box Firmware: V3.2.9.2 Received call from Orbi AX - 4:45 AM 3/11/2020 - internet keeps on disconnecting every 20 minutes - asked if affect all devices at the same time; he said yes - asked if wired devices are affected; he's not sure - wireless devices stays connected; internet will reconnect right real quick - customer already reset the router 4 times today - called ISP; they check the ONT box and said everything is working fine ============ Troubleshooting Details ============== - accessed web ui; yes FW: V3.2.10.11_1.2.12 - downgraded the firmware of the satellite and the router to V3.2.9.2 - power cycled both units - advised to observe the connection - check if issue affects wired devices and if it does check the connection straight from the ONT box ============== Resolution Summary =============== - for observation =============================================== Attached/Sent KB Article? Yes Promoted Support Site? Yes Mentioned Survey Spiel? n/a Provided Case Number?yes Pitched for PS/GH? n/a

So far we have downgraded firmware to V3.2.9.2 - still drops
Hard reboot (x3) - still drops
Changed CTS and RTS values to 2347 - still drops
Changed wifi channels to 44 - still drops
re-upgraded back to V3.2.10.11_1.2.12 - still drops
Hard reboot #4 - still drops

I am on day 4 of interuption and all NG says is that they are "working on it". I wasn't informed until my call with support today that this is a known issue. Upset that I have spent over 10 hours the past 4 days troubleshooting the router thinking this was an isolated issue. For a $700 router, this is unacceptable.

Message 87 of 362
willisc
Aspirant

Any updates on this? Pretty upsetting for a $600 router...

Message 88 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

I just downgraded to V3.1.5.23 and disabled auto firmware upgrades.

We'll see if this helps.

Message 89 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

@cruisencode wrote:

We'll see if this helps.

Well, I guess I didn't do something correctly when disabling auto firmware upgrades.  My router and satellite were upgraded to V3.2.9.2 last night.  I'll see how it goes before trying to downgrade again.

Message 90 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

OK, I'm not sure why the new firmware was installed.  I just checked through telnet and auto_upgrade_enable is set to 0.

root@RBR850:/# nvram get auto_upgrade_enable
root@RBR850:/# nvram get auto_update_enable

Message 91 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

@cruisencode wrote:

@cruisencode wrote:

We'll see if this helps.

Well, I guess I didn't do something correctly when disabling auto firmware upgrades.  My router and satellite were upgraded to V3.2.9.2 last night.  I'll see how it goes before trying to downgrade again.

And, the issue is back.  Time to downgrade again.  Sigh...

Message 92 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear should have fixed this already.  Can't they put out a new firmware that is essentially the last firmware that works and also there should be a check box that enables you to do manual downloads.  I should not have to figure out how to go in some other way and program it.  

Most people that buy this stuff are not that technical.  This is ridiculous that is had gone this long and especially now when most people work from home.  Who has time to fumble through all these steps that may or may not work?

Netgear get something done and sent out today and please add an option in the future to manual upgrade.  Every other software I have ever seen has that.   This router cost big money and expect perfection!

Message 93 of 362
xnolightx
Star

@cruisencode wrote:

@cruisencode wrote:

@cruisencode wrote:

We'll see if this helps.

@cruisencode I also had an auto update last night even though I set the values via telnet. I'm wondering if it requires a reboot, which I will try today after downgrading and setting the value again.

Message 94 of 362
xnolightx
Star

Just a question. Why on earth would Netgear roll the latest version available back to 3.2.9.2 when they know people are also having problems with that version as well.

The community has confirmed for them that 3.1.5.23 works. This is just madness. If I had bought this device from Amazon I would be sending it back now. 

Message 95 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't a problem with v3.2.9.2. Only something with v10.11 after getting pushed from the auto update servers does something break then also breaks v3.2.9.2 even after users downgrade to that version. v3.2.9.2 was working before v10.11 came to the picture. Someone else just said that they downgraded then let the system upgrade again to v10.11 and now there system is stable again. 

NGs Auto push update servers have had a long history of causing problems for Orbi AC. This maybe still the case with Orbi AX. 

Lets give NG the change to fix this. Again, something in the auto update servers or something happened in the push that causes problems. Those of us who got this update before the push have not seen any issues as seen with those of you who got pushed too, aside the CTS and RTS values being changed. Even then the system worked for us. Let be patent while NG works on this. 

In mean time users can downgrade to v3.1 or or use there Orbi AX in AP mode with there prior router until NG comes out with something. 

@xnolightx wrote:

Just a question. Why on earth would Netgear roll the latest version available back to 3.2.9.2 when they know people are also having problems with that version as well.

The community has confirmed for them that 3.1.5.23 works. This is just madness. If I had bought this device from Amazon I would be sending it back now. 

Message 96 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Takes time to review and test and reproduce. Maybe something they can't as well. Some of us who got this same version haven't seen problems. We've considered this one of the better versions to date. It may not be something in FW rather NGs auto update push services that maybe causing problems. We got this via same services however it wasn't auto pushed. It was available to manually installed from the services. We can to start the install process. After that we factory reset and setup from scratch and has been stable for us since. Though we see that the CTS and RTS values were changed which may cause wifi problems. Changing them back to 2347 is recommended. My system is stable and remains that way after the change. 

Making changes if FW doesn't happen over night. Please be patient. 

Ether downgrade to v3.1 or put your prior router on line and configure the RBR for AP mode while NG works on this. Either one of these methods should keep you up and running in mean time. 

@DBV wrote:

Netgear should have fixed this already.  Can't they put out a new firmware that is essentially the last firmware that works and also there should be a check box that enables you to do manual downloads.  I should not have to figure out how to go in some other way and program it.  

Most people that buy this stuff are not that technical.  This is ridiculous that is had gone this long and especially now when most people work from home.  Who has time to fumble through all these steps that may or may not work?

Netgear get something done and sent out today and please add an option in the future to manual upgrade.  Every other software I have ever seen has that.   This router cost big money and expect perfection!

Message 97 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Did your system re-update to v10.11 when you had v3.2.9.2 loaded? 

Did you input nvram commit after making the changed in telnet? 

@cruisencode wrote:

@cruisencode wrote:

@cruisencode wrote:

We'll see if this helps.

Message 98 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

I downgraded to V3.1.5.23 yesterday and last night it auto-upgraded to V3.2.9.2.  Yes, I set the nvram and I committed.  I also verified that the value was set using nvram get.

Message 99 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Use @xnolightx process? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

Possible that the NG is preventing any blocking of updates or maybe using a different connection for updates...

So if you downgraded to v3.1 then it updated to v3.2.9.2...You might factory reset the system or download the actual files for v3.2.9.2 and apply them with a web browser, factory reset and setup from scratch. You should be back in a stable state here if you try this process.

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

Message 100 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7