Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

cruisencode
Apprentice

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

If you read my posts, I have been downgrading to V3.1 EVERY DAY.  This is because NG keeps auto-upgrading me back to V3.2 EVERY NIGHT.  This is a rediculous version of Groundhog Day that I can't seem to get out of.

Message 126 of 362
warpdag
Apprentice

Same here, downgraded to get back to a stable state, and it re-upgraded against my will.

Since netgear forced me to buy an edgerouter to secure my connection, I’ll simply create a firewall rule to block their update server and then downgrade again (I bought the router since the WAN side of the Orbi was not safe for direct connection with the previous firmware... it looks like they noticed my posts, the new firmware might have fixed the issue according to the release notes, no wonder why they’re pushing the update aggressively).
Message 127 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get the Orbi to remain on older FW, use the Orbi AX in AP mode with your prior router. 

@cruisencode wrote:

If you read my posts, I have been downgrading to V3.1 EVERY DAY.  This is because NG keeps auto-upgrading me back to V3.2 EVERY NIGHT.  This is a rediculous version of Groundhog Day that I can't seem to get out of.

Message 128 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to fully stop the updates from happening? Just wondering here.

@xnolightx wrote:

To get back to 3.1.5.23 I had to do the following:

1) Log into the satellite's administration page directly (via the satellite's IP address) and click on firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 firmware version.

2) Log into the RBR (main unit) and click on Administration\Firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 version on the RBR (main unit).

3) Once everything has restarted, log into the main router's debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and click the enable Telnet button.

4) On a windows pc open a command prompt. Type telnet 192.168.1.1

5) Once a telnet session is established type:

5.1 nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

6) On the debug page disable telnet.

You will be on 3.1.5.23 and your Orbi will no longer automatically reach out for firmware updates.

Message 129 of 362
angelogouvis
Guide

On the Orbi Router (RBR850), preventing the auto-upgrade has proved challenging, so far.

I did set the "auto_upgrade_enable" to 0, but auto upgrade still engaged.

I've tried setting another parameter using nvram commands:

nvram set install_fw_upgrade_latest=0

I'm hoping that is the flag that tells it to install the latest firmware.  I've set that parameter, and backrevved to v3.1.5.23 (the latest version which prevents the regular disconnects).  Now, I just have to wait through a full 24 hours, and confirm if the auto-upgrade engages or not.

Message 130 of 362
sprtxgy
Aspirant

So my update 

The older firmware version seems to do the trick  however it keeps updating to the latest firmware every night.

Message 131 of 362
ZOOShen
Star

Could you tell me their upgrade server address?
Message 132 of 362
ekhalil
Master

You can't see the server 🙂 But when you check for updates in the Orbi app or in the web GUI you will get information about the latest firmware available on the update server.

@ZOOShen wrote:
Could you tell me their upgrade server address?

Message 133 of 362
xnolightx
Star

Actually, you can see their server. If you telnet into the router you can see the updates server by using the following command:

nvram show ver | sort

That will show you ftp and https servers. For example

ver_check_ftp_svr1=updates1.netgear.com

ver_check_ftp_svr2=updates1.netgear.com

ver_check_ftp_svr3=updates1.netgear.com :

ver_check_https_svr1=http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

So, in theory adding updates1.netgear.com to the blocked list should prevent the router from being able to pull automatic updates. I'm not 100% positive this will stop the nightly updating, but it appears to have prevented the web gui from knowing whether updates are available. You can confirm this by looking at the firmware update page. It will show service unreachable. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work, but I have to wait until midnight to know for sure.

Message 134 of 362
warpdag
Apprentice

If you use an external router, you need to enable DNS forwarding on the router and then configure Orbi to use the router as its DNS server. Then, simply tweak the hosts file on the router. You can do it manually, or if you have an EdgeRouter like me, go to the CLI and try something like that:

set system static-host-mapping host-name updates1.netgear.com inet 127.0.0.1

set system static-host-mapping host-name http.fw.updates1.netgear.com inet 127.0.0.1

Commit and save and you're done.

Note: I use Orbi as AP, not as router. I use an EdgeRouter 4 for routing. Obviously, it doesn't work if you use Orbi as router and there is nothing in the way to block the requests to Netgear.

Message 135 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

You could potentially set the Orbi (as router) to manually use nextdns.io as its DNS. You would have to set up an account and then put a rule in to block the Netgear hostname(s) for their update servers. This assumed Netgear haven't hard coded their update server DNS in some way.
Message 136 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

I should add that Netgear have "helpfully" moved the IPv6 DNS settings to the Advanced/IPv6 settings area and not in with IPv4 DNS, so if you enable IPv6, make sure to update both places.
Message 137 of 362
angelogouvis
Guide

My attempts to block the upgrade by setting "install_fw_upgrade_latest=0" in firmware failed.  The upgrade to 3.2.9.2 happened anyway.

I'll try what others have suggested above to see if I can block the router's path to the upgrade servers.

Unfortunatley, I no longer have my older router, so for me using the orbi as an AP won't work, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of buy *another* router.

Message 138 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you download the v3.2.9.2 FW files to a wired PC. Manually load these files on to the RBS and RBR. Then factory reset the RBS and RBR by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds. Power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back ON. Walk thru the setup wizard with the wired PC and web browser. 

@angelogouvis wrote:

My attempts to block the upgrade by setting "install_fw_upgrade_latest=0" in firmware failed.  The upgrade to 3.2.9.2 happened anyway.

I'll try what others have suggested above to see if I can block the router's path to the upgrade servers.

Unfortunatley, I no longer have my older router, so for me using the orbi as an AP won't work, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of buy *another* router.

Message 139 of 362
angelogouvis
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion @FURRYe38 .  However, I've had good luck with the v3.1.5.23_1.0.46 firmware, and I'm inclined make efforts to keep that version in place until such time that Netgear offers an updated firmware that addresses these issues.

Message 140 of 362
quethrosar
Star

any update on this ? i have v3.2.9.2. skype and anydesk disconnects every 10 to 15 minutes.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 141 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Hopefully next update will correct things. 

@angelogouvis wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion @FURRYe38 .  However, I've had good luck with the v3.1.5.23_1.0.46 firmware, and I'm inclined make efforts to keep that version in place until such time that Netgear offers an updated firmware that addresses these issues.

Message 142 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes.

@quethrosar wrote:

any update on this ? i have v3.2.9.2. skype and anydesk disconnects every 10 to 15 minutes.

Message 143 of 362
angelogouvis
Guide

So, my latest modifications to configurations in an attempt to block auto-update and hang on to known-good (at least for me) firmware version v3.1.5.23_1.0.46 is as follows:

Router and Satellite:

nvram settings:

auto_upgrade_enable=0

ver_check_enable=0

Router:

blocked sites:

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com

On the Router via the web UI admin, in Advanced mode, for the Firmware update screen, it now (correctly) shows the Current Version of the firmware as V3.1.5.23.  For the Router, for the Status column, it shows "Service Unreacheable" for the Router, and "v3.2.9.2" for the Satellite.  The fact that the Satellite can see v3.2.9.2 is a bit of mystery to me, but I'm hoping because I blocked the domains for the upgrades, I'm hoping I've "crippled" the automated upgrade capabilities.  I'll know for sure tomorrow morning......

Message 144 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

v3.2.9.2 on the RBS should be a problem. ITs the RBR that has the problem. You'd be fine with the RBS where ever it ends up at. 

Leave it for now and lets see what NG does for us. 

Message 145 of 362
rcw3
Tutor

Bought the RBR850 a few weeks ago and everything was fine until about a week ago, then I started getting disconnected during large downloads making it very painful to download large files.  I also get disconnected continuously (every 10 minutes or so) from WoW.  It seems to occur when using ethernet off the Orbi as well.  it DOES NOT happen with I plug directly into the DSL modem's ethernet ports.  

I was about to return it for a refund when I saw these threads.  I might consider waiting for a new firmware update, but it's very disconcerting that the level of testing would allow something this bad that impacts so many users.

Message 146 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@rcw3 wrote:

Bought the RBR850 a few weeks ago and everything was fine until about a week ago, then I started getting disconnected during large downloads making it very painful to download large files.  I also get disconnected continuously (every 10 minutes or so) from WoW.  It seems to occur when using ethernet off the Orbi as well.  it DOES NOT happen with I plug directly into the DSL modem's ethernet ports.  

I was about to return it for a refund when I saw these threads.  I might consider waiting for a new firmware update, but it's very disconcerting that the level of testing would allow something this bad that impacts so many users.

Message 147 of 362
quethrosar
Star

i have SB8200 modem.

V3.2.9.2_1.2.4

Message 148 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the isp modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on? 

@quethrosar wrote:

i have SB8200 modem.

V3.2.9.2_1.2.4

Message 149 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear needs to fix this issue today!   Spending way too much time trying to fix and sounds like many others are too and to think these are the ones that know about this forum, so their are many others that have no clue what is even wrong.  

Get it right NG or provide refunds to everyone that has an issue, so I can spend my money on something else.   $700 is too much to spend for such a lack of response and quick fix!

Message 150 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7