Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Guest Network no internet

RickMacca
Aspirant

RBR850 Guest Network no internet

I have an RBR850 with one satellite. The RBR850 connects to the ISP modem/router through a powerline device. The internet works perfectly on all connected devices, both on RBR850 and satellite. Both are running the latest updates.

However, when the guest network is enabled, devices can connect to it, but do not have internet. Any advice appreciated.

Rick

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Guest Network no internet

Message 2 of 13
RickMacca
Aspirant

I am sorry I don't understand the reply. I just need advice on what may be preventing the guest network from providing internet, and what adjustments need to be made to the RBR850 to correct this. The RBR850 and satellites is a very expensive solution, and should not have a limitation such as this on a critical facility.

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

This sounds as if Access Control is enabled and "new" devices are not allowed.  Orbi has a curious approach to access control in that devices can perform the SSID/password handshake and be assigned an IP address, but then are denied access to the network. Does that same device that fails to get internet on the Guest network perform correctly on the primary network?

If you bring up the Orbi web interface Attached Devices page, does it say (at the top) that Access Control is  'on' or 'off'?

(I do not have an AX Orbi, and have come to understand that there are a number of differences between models. Maybe I am totally off in the wrong direction.)

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the RBS. 

Does guest network devices connected at the RBR get internet services? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Router build in here? IF so, Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@RickMacca wrote:

I have an RBR850 with one satellite. The RBR850 connects to the ISP modem/router through a powerline device. The internet works perfectly on all connected devices, both on RBR850 and satellite. Both are running the latest updates.

However, when the guest network is enabled, devices can connect to it, but do not have internet. Any advice appreciated.

Rick

Message 5 of 13
RickMacca
Aspirant

Thanks for the helpful replies. Firstly, the I turned off the wifi on the iSP modem some time ago, when I first set up the Orbi. So that aspect should not be an issue.

As suggested, Access Control seems to be where the issue lies. I noticed that both the Guest Network, and also the device I was trying to connect, were both blocked. So I allowed both, and only after rebooting the router, I was able to get internet on the guest device.

However I don't think it should be necessary to go into the router admin settings and "allow" a guest device to connect. I would expect any guest to whom the password has been provided, should be able to get an internet connection.

Anyway, I have the feeling that the guest network connection may be unreliable, so I will test it over the next few days.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@RickMacca wrote:

I noticed that both the Guest Network, and also the device I was trying to connect, were both blocked. So I allowed both, and only after rebooting the router, I was able to get internet on the guest device.

Is "blocked" another word for "not enabled"?  If the Guest network is not enabled, then of course no device can connect successfully.

On my (old, but faithful) Orbi, I have the parameters for Guest WiFi configured all the time, but only enable the guest WiFi for specific tests.

Message 7 of 13
RickMacca
Aspirant

"Blocked" and "not-enabled" are different. The guest network is enabled (the guest wifi network can be seen and devices can connect, but no internet.

By "blocked" I am referring to the access control for individual devices. So what I was explaining is that devices can connect to the guest network, but they cannot get an internet connection until each indivual device is "allowed" in the access control.

After finally figuring out how to allow guest devices to get internet, my point was that I don't think it should be necessary to go into the Orbi admin and "allow" devices invited to connect to the guest network. When a guest wants internet connection, the password should be all that is required. I would have thought that facility was part of the reason to have a guest network.

Following this same point, I was wondering if there is a separate setting for the guest network to "allow all new devices to connect"? This setting is in the access control, but I understand applies to entire network, not only guest network.

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for explaining.  I agree completely that the Access Control setting seems absurd when applied to the Guest WiFi.  (Although the primary network is a similar situation. If a device can supply the password to the primary WiFi, what is the point in having an Access Control setting to deny a connection until 'approved' by the owner?)

Yet another reason I am happy not to have enabled Access Control.

Message 9 of 13
RickMacca
Aspirant

Yes, agree. I think while I have guests visiting, I will disable the Access Control.

As a development change, I recommend a setting which allows Access Control to be disabled for the guest network, while retaining access control to the primary network. In this way, if someone manages unauthorised access to the guest network, they will not have access to the primary network.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

The forums contain an "Idea Exchange" where customers propose features:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home 

To be frank, I have little confidence that anyone inside Netgear pays much attention to customer requests.  But, they might.

Message 11 of 13
nthstar
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue, but as my Orbi is in "AP" mode it seems I cannot allow/block devices in the Orbi admin console anymore...

So when users connect to the Guest wifi, they get an IP but once again "no internet" displays.

Any idea how to resolve this for this setup?

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7