Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 How to force iphone 11 Pro connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

davidlan
Follower

RBR850 How to force iphone 11 Pro connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

I have an iphone 11 Pro that has to be on the 2.4Mhz band to set up a security camera. I have attempted multiple things to get it to work. I have read previous posts and attempted those suggestions but the phone still joins 5.0. I would appreciate any advice as I have spent 3-4 hours attempting a solution.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 How to force iphone 11 Pro connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. Turn OFF the RBS during this process to ensure your mobile device connects only to the RBR on 2.4Ghz. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: RBR850 How to force iphone 11 Pro connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

@davidlan wrote:

I have an iphone 11 Pro that has to be on the 2.4Mhz band to set up a security camera.

Neither do modern Mesh systems allow the configuration of a network name valid for the 2.4 GHz only band nor decent wireless clients as on your iPhone 11 Pro allow the selection of the band to be used for the connection. So neither Netgear nor Appe can help here.

@davidlan wrote:

I have attempted multiple things to get it to work. I have read previous posts and attempted those suggestions but the phone still joins 5.0. I would appreciate any advice as I have spent 3-4 hours attempting a solution.

Waste of time and effort. Complain to the maker of this security camera - they need to change the processes and their crApp. Here the information for the camera maker:

At no point, it's required the wireless client is connected to the 2.4 GHz bahnd - big error in these manufacturer logic. Much more, the discovery App will read the current wireless connection data (SSID, security settings, and security passphrase) from your current wireless connection to the Orbi Mseh on your phone, then it will look on air for some hidden SSID of this new camera and probably some "secure" passphrase for talking to the camera (note the phone does not have to care about the wireless band!), and program the current wireless connection data credentials (SSID, security settings, and security passphrase) to the camera wireless client, which in turn will (hopefully) connect to the Orbi Mesh where it will be located bsed on some broadcast or multicast discovery "tricks" on the same network. Here it does absolutely not matter if the camera is on the 2.4 GHz, and the iPhone 11 Pro is on the 5 GHz - everythng does connect to the same network.

The only reason to "require" using the 2.4 GHz band is coming from legacy routers where each band requires a dedicated SSID - this will allow to program the data for the 2.4 GHz WiFi to the camera. Here on the Orbi Mesh (or any other Mesh or business grade WiFi where one SSID does cover 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and soon 6 GHz WiFi) this does not matter. Therefore, the App should allow at least to skip the check if it's connected to the 2.4 GHz band.a

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7