Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 How to force iphone X connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

GFW
Aspirant
Aspirant

RBR850 How to force iphone X connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

I have an iphone 10 that has to be on the 2.4Mhz band to set up a security camera.  I have attempted multiple things to get it to work. I have read previous posts and attempted those suggestions but the phone still joins 5.0.  I would appreciate any advice as I have spent 3-4 hours attempting a solution.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850 How to force iphone X connect to 2.4Mhz and not 5.0?

@GFW wrote:

I have an iphone 10 that has to be on the 2.4Mhz band to set up a security camera.  I have attempted multiple things to get it to work. I have read previous posts and attempted those suggestions but the phone still joins 5.0.  I would appreciate any advice as I have spent 3-4 hours attempting a solution.

While the original Orbi system had a setting which could be used to prompt devices to connect to one band or the other, the AX series does not appear to offer the same capability.

I have set up any number of security cameras, and the vast majority of them create a QR code on the smartphone app that the camera takes a picture of to learn the WiFi SSID and password.  When the camera says IN BIG PRINT, "Requires 2.4G WiFi" that is simply saying  if there is no 2.4G WiFi, the camera will have no WiFi to use.  That is like a product saying on the box "requires (2) AA batteries."  If the customer has boxes of C cells and D cells, but zero AA batteries, it cannot work.

What happens when you just ignore the warnings and proceed to set up the camera?

If you can specify the brand and model of security camera, we'd be happy to look at the User Manual.

Message 2 of 8
Christopher128
Aspirant

In the event that you attempt to utilize your cell phone which is associated naturally to 5 GHz to oversee and arrange one of the keen devices which is associated with 2.4 GHz band, that probably won't work much of the time.

ElonOne

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My experience is that once a device has been connected to WiFi, the smartphone running the app that controls the device can be on any WiFi band, and often not on WiFi at all. (Smart plugs, smart bulbs, thermostats, cameras, etc.)

Message 4 of 8
GFW
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Camera I am trying to connect is a WYZE V2.  I have other that are connects on the 2.4Mhz band but they were already on the previous router and during setup of the Orbi moved over automatically. This camera was also working previously but stopped working.  I reset it and then was unable to set it back up on the network. On the router dash board I can see my phone which is being used to setup the camera is using the 5.0 band and I 'think' that is my issue.

I certertainly appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I have Wyze Cam1, Wyze Pan Can, and Wyze Cam3 on my Orbi network.  Just to double check, I deleted the Cam3 in the Wyze app and then pressed the "+" sign to add it.  My phone running the Wyze app is connected to Orbi WiFi at 5G.

Setup went the way it is supposed to:

• Red light began flashing
  • Pressed the 'setup' button
  • Got the WiFi screen and said, "yes, use this one"
    (Looks as if I had an option to input a different WiFi SSID/password, but I went with what the Wyze app had filled in)
  • Got QR Code
  • Scanned QR code with camers
  • "Setup Complete

I have never had any problem connecting Wyze products to my Orbi, including cameras, smart plugs, and digital scale.

There is some other problem.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@GFW wrote:

Message 7 of 8
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

The wyze app and camera don't care that your phone is on 5g. The V2 cam only has 2.4g and that's where it will connect.

Your problem might be that your SSID or password have changed and the wyze app doesn't have a facility for changing the cam's wifi credentials. In the wyze app, delete the camera, power cycle the cam and start a fresh device add (+ sign). Yuu'll be connected in under 2 minutes.

It's a whole other story for some other iot devices that require your phone to connect directly to the device to set it up but the wyze installation is very straightforward.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7