Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 IPv6 dropping from Xfinity XB7 hourly

CrimpOn
Guru

Just as a curiosity.....

Have you kept a record of the IPv6 WAN address over time?

Does the Orbi get the same IPv6 address each time, or does the IPv6 address change?

Message 26 of 52
KMDonlon
Luminary

I have not, never really paid much attention to it cause it was always working until trying v4.6.7.5.
Message 27 of 52
CrimpOn
Guru

IPv6 is certainly "outside my comfort zone".  What is the tipoff that the router has lost its IPv6 address?

i.e. What motivates looking at the web interface to see if the IPv6 address is present (or vacant).

Message 28 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

For me, it's the XBox wired to one of the sattelites.  In the network settings, it's shows the NAT status and list IPv4 and/or IPv6 or both, with Open or Moderate if all is well.

On reboot, the IPv6 always reappears and things are snappier.

Never fails, with all recent FW versions, including this newest one, that the IPv6 designator will drop off after a short time, once the address from Comcast dynamically changes.  When the Xbox shows IPv6 available and being utilized, the test always shows the same on phone, laptop, etc. When it disappears from one, it is gone from all.  

That is why I'm going to try the AP mode and see what happens.

Message 29 of 52
Mikey94025
Hero

@yetimemphis wrote:

On reboot, the IPv6 always reappears and things are snappier.

I'm still wondering how and why IPv6 would make your network perform better, especially "feel snappier".  Are you using the default Comcast DNS?  If yes, before switching to AP maybe try setting them to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) and see if it feels snappier.  There was an older Orbi AX DNS bug that had an IPv6 tunnel workaround so maybe you're seeing some DNS-related effect....???

Message 30 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

By snappier, I mean the speeds for download are better and I have less crashes during intense gaming.  This is only on the Xbox Series X, which Microsoft says is designed for IPv6 and to use that protocol for the best possible experience.  My interactions seems to support the conclusion that the best experience is indeed happening when IPv6 is operational.  The rest of the time, wifi is great across all other devices and perfectly fine for 5-7 streaming intense devices going at one time in all different areas of the house.  

It was the Xbox that got me into looking into all this from the time I first noticed IPv6 started disappearing.

I still may switch to AP mode to keep the xfinity router in play and utilize some of the "free" perks I'd have to pay for with Orbit as router, like parental controls and security alerts.  

Message 31 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you confirm for us that your RBR is in router mode and either using the ISP modem/routers DMZ or IP pass thru or not when in this configuration? 

@yetimemphis wrote:

UPDATE:

IPv6 is gone again.  Orbi not pulling it from XB7 modem.  However, it seems like the firmware has improved satellite communication with the router.  Now seeing wireless backhauled RBS's pulling 500 Down speeds to devices (like Xbox) wired to them.  

This is an improvement.  

Full family is home so max data is running during these tests.  Multiple ipads, xbox live gaming, 2 4k tv's, this computer, etc.

I can't think of any other options to maintain the IPv6 stability but I'll forego worrying about it if these higher download speeds hold. 

Message 32 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you let us know what brand and model# ISP Modem your using with your Orbi system please? 

@KMDonlon wrote:
I reverted back to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 due to IPv6 issues with the two versions floating around... Seems not to pull it or it is very delayed get an IPv6 address to my phone and laptop yet it is instant using V4.6.3.16_2.0.51.... fortunately I am not experiencing too many problems with this release version.

Message 33 of 52
KMDonlon
Luminary

It is a Nokia ONT provided by COX. I have fiber... 940 up & down.
Message 34 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

There a model # on the ONT by chance? 

Will get this to NG for review. Any additional information will be helpful. 

@KMDonlon wrote:
It is a Nokia ONT provided by COX. I have fiber... 940 up & down.

Message 35 of 52
KMDonlon
Luminary

Brand Name:Model Number:

Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent
I-010G
Message 36 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

The RBR was in router mode.  The XB7 was in bridge mode during all this.

NOW...

I have switched the RBR to AP mode and the XB7 is back in the original router mode.  Both devices are using the same network and passkey.  All devices show up in the Orbi app/desktop and as connected in the Xfi app.  Presently, I have IPv6, but it's only moderate.

Speeds are lower.  However, I have not done a full power cycle on everything since getting everything back online.  THere could still be some remnants or garbage lingering around in the system.  I'll do that in a bit.

Message 37 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 38 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Power cycle complete.

All devices seem to connect fine.  IPv6 is available and functioning on all tests.  Speeds are screaming fast- all 500 down and above on new laptop/phone/xbox via wireless satellite connections.  Hard wired to router getting 1.3 to 1.4G (1.2G plan).  

If IPv6 stays functional throughout the evening and tomorrow, I'll consider this a success and the optimal setup for using the rental I was "required" to get (remember, I otherwise would have bought my own had it not been for needing unlimited data) and also getting access to security and parental features built in.

Message 39 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Forgot to add... after power cycle, IPv6 NAT went from Moderate to Open.  So that resolved itself.  No port forwarding or other shennanigans needed.

Message 40 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. 

Will get some review on the router mode and IPv6 problem as it seems to be something going on in that mode. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 41 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

UPDATE:  IPv6 still there this morning.  Speeds still good.  Everything still connected.  If this holds for another 24 hours, I'll mark the move to XB7 (router) + Orbi (AP) as the best option for keeping an IPv6 address and seemless connectivity.  

Speeds on my iPhone were better than ever at nearly 650-700 this morning.  

Message 42 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it's working better. 

What FW version are you using currently? 

@yetimemphis wrote:

UPDATE:  IPv6 still there this morning.  Speeds still good.  Everything still connected.  If this holds for another 24 hours, I'll mark the move to XB7 (router) + Orbi (AP) as the best option for keeping an IPv6 address and seemless connectivity.  

Message 43 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

During this process, after the discussion, I upgraded to 4.6.7.5.  That was done before I put it into AP mode.  That is FW version currently operating on my system. 

Message 44 of 52
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yetimemphis wrote:

XB7 can lease its IP addresses "forever" instead of renewing every few hours/days/weeks/etc. The "Lease Time" settings can be found in the XB7 "Local IP Configuration" page if you want to keep your IP settings static to avoid chaos on your network as a result of IP address renewals.

Message 45 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

I believe the lease renewal was 2 days when I looked at it.  However, before the changes discussed above, I was not even making it close to 2 days before it would drop the IPv6 address.  So, it is (and remains from earlier) in working order.  I'll be interested to see if the "new" address is successfully pulled tomorrow night or into the weekend.  

Message 46 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Everything seems to be working still.  Good speeds.  IPv6 holding.  FW updated.  No issues anymore, and I think my overall wifi coverage is actually better.  

I'd consider this one solved and will mark the solution.  Thanks all!

Message 47 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I've passed this IPv6 issue on to NG for review. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 48 of 52
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yetimemphis wrote:

Everything seems to be working still.  Good speeds.  IPv6 holding.  FW updated.  No issues anymore, and I think my overall wifi coverage is actually better.  

I'd consider this one solved and will mark the solution.  Thanks all!

Good to hear it's working out. 

Just in case, Orbi (RBR850) WAN port is capable of 2.5Gbps, make sure you connect Orbi WAN port to the right XB7 2.5Gbps LAN port. Also, If you haven't already, make sure you disable WiFi on XB7 to avoid interference because Orbi uses all 4 lower 5G bands. Keep the XB7 WiFi off as a backup (same SSID).

Have fun!

Message 49 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

I think I have done this -- cutting off wifi on XB7 -- but to make sure, what steps did you take?  And how can I confirm that only the Orbi is sending out wifi and not overlapping with the XB7?  Is that something the Xfi app handles or admin site?

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7