Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 MANY devices missing from attached devices.

gwbaker
Guide

RBR850 MANY devices missing from attached devices.

I have just noticed that MANY of my attached devices are not showing in the router menu pages.  In either the basic or advance menu the attached devices show 11 devices.  When I use a port scanning program, I find most of the 38 devices that are in fact active and attached, but Orbi shows none of them.  Oddly some of the attached Raspberry PI boards running Resilio Sync show up, but another running Octoprint does not.  Also several computer not listed either.

Incidentally, not sure it is related, but my router lost all of its settings (I am guessing after an auto firmware update???).  I had to manually set it all back up since I am not certain where I saved my original config.

And, not to mention all the WEMO switch issues I am having.  I paid $1000 for this router and satellite packag and I am seriously beginning to regret it!

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
gwbaker
Guide

Re: RBR850 MANY devices missing from attached devices.

Well, 5 days later and I will call this issue fixed.

Moving the RBR to the other end of the basement (was 8 feet away from one of the RBS) has solved my issue.  I just don't understand how this would cause the issue.  I get that them being to close together could cause client issues, but everything was still connecting.  It just was not listed in the attached devices page.  Any insight as to why?  Not that I need to know, but I would enjoy knowing.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
gwbaker
Guide

P.S. Running firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 which reports as current....

Message 2 of 19
Mstrbig
Master

If the firmware was just updated, it may take 24 hours for the system to stablize.

Try rebooting the router and see if it shows devices correctly.

Message 3 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Unfortunately no, that did not do the trick.  I noticed this issue 4 days ago and it has been like this ever since.  I have rebooted a number of times and I did so again for good measure.

No change....

Message 4 of 19
Mstrbig
Master

Are the devices that are missing connected to the router or satellites? If satellites, try resetting the satellites and repairing, one at a time. Also make sure he satellites got updated to the new firmware as well.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

BE sure when a FW update is performed, power OFF the RBR and RSS for 30 seconds then back on with the RBR first and let it some to ready, then power ON the RBS...

Message 6 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Some good news to report....  Some odd and bad?

So, pulling the power cords on each and rebooting one at a time solved the issue of the missing devices showing in the attached devices menu.  Presently 40 devices showing and that is about right.

BUT, the firmware update is kinda weird.  The RBR850 was showing firmware V3.2.16.22 since I updated it last week and the problems originally began.  Oddly each time I checked the firmware page the firmware version of both RBS850's would not display.  After the pulling the power cords and checking the firmware page again, the RBR850 showed firmware V3.2.16.22.  Both RBS850's showed V3.2.16.6.  When checking for new firmware only ONE of the RBS's showed an update and updated to V3.2.16.22.  The other is stuck on V3.2.16.6 and when I check for new firmware, the page reports "No New Firmware Available" even though one satellite is on the newer firmware and the other is on the older firmware.

What to do with that???

Message 7 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Okay, I forced a manual update to the second satellite and it now has the newer firmware.

Now just crossing my fingers that my wemo switches start cooperating more with Orbi.

Message 8 of 19
Mstrbig
Master

Try resetting the satellite that is not updating and unplug the satellite that is updated. Then take the satellite that needs updating and bring it in the same room as the router, turn it on and let it setup and sync and then check for updates again for the satellite.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to manually update the RBS using the RBS web page to send the FW file. 

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully you'll be ok now...

Message 11 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Welp, that did not last.  24 hours later and half of the devices have disappeared from the attached devices menu again.  I really hope this is a firmware issue and not defective devices.  How hard is it to convince Netgear that I need a replacement if in fact I do?  Over the years I have learned when there is someone/something else that can be blamed, tech comapnies tend to do that and you just have to throw your stuff away and take the hit to the wallet.  This will be a significant hit if that turns out to be the case. (more info in next post).

Message 12 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

If this will help with the troubleshooting...  I just rebooted (software reboot) and I am back down to the original 11 devices attached.  Of the 20ish I mentioned above, most have dropped off this list.

Best I can tell, the devices that are showing are all ethernet wired (for sure) or wifi connected (maybe) to the router and not either of the satellites???  But, everthing is still connected if I port scan....

Defective satellites?  Or defective satellite firmwares?

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Heres what I would do, download the v22 FW files. I would use Edge, Firefox or Opera for this.

Manually re-load the RBS first then RBR lastly. Factory reset the RBS then power them OFF. 

Factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. Set up the RBR and get it setup again. After you set up the SSID name and PW and do a reboot. Check to see if any and all of your devices get connected to the RBR alone with out any RBS. I would let this run for a while to see how the devices display on the RBRs web page. 

Then later on, re-sync your RBS 1 at a time. I would do just 1 RBS intially, checking the behavior, then add the 2nd one if you have a 2nd one later on. 

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 15 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Before I do the firmware reflash suggestion, I have decided to try something based on your second response first to see what happens and then go from there.

You asked Square footage.  Total 3000.  3 Story, each 1000 stacked, basement, main, 2nd, with an attached garage not included in totals.  Recently I moved the RBR to a closet in my basement that I wired to be my "server room."  This placed the RBR in a new location about 8 feet directly below one of the RBS's.  This was the same week some issues started and in the back of my mind I was wondering if they were too close together and possibly causing the issues.  I TOTALLY do not understand why this would be an issue, but I learned a long time ago, I don't know everything.  So I used two 50 foot enthernet cables to temporarily move the RBR across the basement to see if it makes any difference.  Everything looks good right now, but I just power cycled everyting again.  Cross fingers that it lasts.  Will see what happens and report back.

Thanks for your patience and guidance!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 19
gwbaker
Guide

Well, 5 days later and I will call this issue fixed.

Moving the RBR to the other end of the basement (was 8 feet away from one of the RBS) has solved my issue.  I just don't understand how this would cause the issue.  I get that them being to close together could cause client issues, but everything was still connecting.  It just was not listed in the attached devices page.  Any insight as to why?  Not that I need to know, but I would enjoy knowing.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Having two overlappting wifi signals too close to each other can cause problems. Sounds like you finally found the sweet spot. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7