Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Minimum Separation

Matt_Pendlebury
Aspirant

RBR850 Minimum Separation

Hi all I recently purchased the three pack RBR850 with two RBS850. It’s possible that a two pack might have been sufficient and I’ve read a few posts on here that talk about minimum separation between points so I was wondering... 1. Why the minimum separation? Is it to stop the signals interfering? 2. If they are closer than recommended, should I adjust the transmit power down? 3. What issues would I expect to see if they are too close? From what I understand, the points talk to each other over 5Ghz channel which gets weaker quicker over distance compared to 2.4Ghz, so the further the points are away from each other, would I see performance drop off if I happened to be connected to the farthest point? Thanks in advance for any answers - trying to learn this stuff! Matt
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Minimum Separation

Yes, the signals between the RBR and RBS needs to be at a good distance as to not cause too much over lap in the signals. 30 feet has been the starting point for most Orbi systems. Also building materials can be a factor as well. There is a sweet spot for distances. Think of it as someone talking near your ear rather then at a distance. Would be kind of distracting if someone was talking near your ear and you trying to talk back to them. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Minimum Separation

Yes, the signals between the RBR and RBS needs to be at a good distance as to not cause too much over lap in the signals. 30 feet has been the starting point for most Orbi systems. Also building materials can be a factor as well. There is a sweet spot for distances. Think of it as someone talking near your ear rather then at a distance. Would be kind of distracting if someone was talking near your ear and you trying to talk back to them. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7