Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Nest camera disconnections

michaelm8718
Guide

RBR850 Nest camera disconnections

Hi

Any ideas as to why my nest cameras keep disconnecting constantly? I have 2 outdoor ones and two indoor plus a Hello. I tried the settings suggested elsewhere in the forum but no luck. I also noticed the cameras connecting to the wrong sattelite. My driveway camera for example connecte to the kitchen router at the back of the house when the living room sat is only less than 5 meters away. Same with the nest hello some times. Rebooting the camera and the router helps for a while but really annoying.

I am contemplating switching to Arlo Pro 3 as they are reduced at the moment ( and I can buy multiple base stations if needed) but I prefer the nest option.

At the moment I am getting multiple disconnections per day....in the hundreds I would say.

I live in then UK so house is not that massive...only about 1400 sq ft.

Any ideas ?
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 12
michaelm8718
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thanks for your reply...looking at other older posts here i changed my 5GHz channel  to 48  - though this was not the best for me, it was 36 as sugested by the ORBI app (i am on Android). This change combined with a router reboot seemes to have stopped the reconnections and dropouts.

The firmware i am running is still v3.2.16.22_1.4.9. I know there is a newer version out there but for some reason the router is not picking it up and i would rather not do it manually.

Now to make something clear, in the last 12 months i have gone through Synology Mesh, Asus XT8 and now the ORBI. I have always had problems with the NEst Cameras but they seem to be worst with the Orbi. The best were the Asus XT8  with minimal issues. I know the back garden camera needs to be moved slighlty to catch the wifi but the fact that the driveway camera mere meters away from the Living room sat, is connecting to the other side of the house it boggles my mind a bit.

At least the Arlo Pro 3 have their own hub, i had the Arlo Pro 2 previously and they worked and in the worst case scenario i can buy an additional hub. I do however prefer the Nest Cameras for the 24/7 and other options.

The answers to your questions that i had already typed in from another post:

There is no modem as the router is directly connected to the fiber connection coming directly into the home. Here in the UK the ISP in this case BT install a wall box which I suppose is the modem equivalent and a singe Ethernet cable connects directly to the WAN port. We as consumers do not have access to that wall box

My house is small compared to US standards...about 1500 square feet over 2 floors with timber internal partitions and a brick clad external wall.

The router unit is in the kitchen in a cupboard as that is where the fiber is coming in so no choice really... the satellite 1 is in the living room(wireless backhaul) and the 2nd one in the office upstairs but on an Ethernet wired back haul. Both Satellites are no more than 30 feet away from the router and they all show up as strong connections.

The only change i havemade to the settings is increase the CTS to 2347 as that stopped my Nest Hub Max from disconnecting. Otherwise this is a brand new unit and still evaluating. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Please set channel 36 to channel 40. 

Message 4 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

@michaelm8718 wrote:

Any ideas as to why my nest cameras keep disconnecting constantly? I have 2 outdoor ones and two indoor plus a Hello.
I live in then UK so house is not that massive...only about 1400 sq ft.

Are you sure your Nest outdoor cameras are connected at 5Ghz?  This article says that 5Ghz is only supported by outdoor cameras in US/Mexico: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246544?hl=en

If your Nest outdoor cameras are disconnecting via 2.4Ghz, then another thing to try is disable AX mode for 2.4Ghz only.  I am using WPA2-PSK [AES], not the TKIP+AES security, with my 10 Nest cameras (5 outdoor + 5 indoor) and do not have disconnection issues with my RBR850.

Message 5 of 12
michaelm8718
Guide

@Mikey94025
You might be into something as I noticed the same. The 2 outdoors cameras are only connected to the 2.4GHz. The regular indoor cameras are connected to 5GHZ

I am using the same security protocol as you.

Will try and let you all know.
Message 6 of 12
michaelm8718
Guide

@Mikey94025

As soon as I made that change my driveway camera dropped offline. My back garden one says it is wired which it certainly is not.

The driveway one syncs to the Kitchen router for some reason despite the fact the living room sat is next to it.

I am beginning to think maybe Arlo is the best option and the Pro3 are reduced. I had the Pro2 in Charlotte on a house three times as big and they never disconnected. Had plenty of delay in the footage but at least they worked. It's not like I am protecting the queen's jewellery or something!!
Message 7 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

@michaelm8718 wrote:
@Mikey94025

As soon as I made that change my driveway camera dropped offline. My back garden one says it is wired which it certainly is not.

The driveway one syncs to the Kitchen router for some reason despite the fact the living room sat is next to it.

I am beginning to think maybe Arlo is the best option and the Pro3 are reduced. I had the Pro2 in Charlotte on a house three times as big and they never disconnected. Had plenty of delay in the footage but at least they worked. It's not like I am protecting the queen's jewellery or something!!

Besides disabling AX mode for 2.4Ghz only, also set CTS/RTS Threshold for both bands to 2347.  I run my RBR850 with these settings with my Nest and Arlo cameras (I have both systems, run both Arlo Pro 2 and Pro 3 cameras).

One problem with Arlo is that all cameras connect to the one Arlo base, whereas with your Orbi mesh router you can place satellites to maximize reception.  I have to position my Arlo base awkwardly so both front and rear cameras have good connectivity.  I even run a second Arlo base (from an older Arlo 2 system) because my garage camera still has connectivity issues to the other base.

Message 8 of 12
michaelm8718
Guide

Thanks for the reply. Not entirely sure what is going on to be honest as yesterday after changing those settings I was having buffering issues on my Teams calls. This never happened before. As a result I reverted back to original settings.

I have had problems with my nest cameras with a number of different routers so I think it must be the cameras as the Arlo Pro 2 on this same house never had an issue and the base station was in a kitchen cupboard! The house is 1400 ft with timber partition walls and block cladding so nothing too unusual for UK housing.

I went ahead and ordered a 4 pack Arlo Pro 3 and will report back once installed. I will probably pick up the doorbell as well and that way there is only one system.

I already have smartthings running so Arlo will hook onto that easily
In many ways I prefer the base station for the Arlo as I can buy extra ones if needed for better coverage

Thanks again for all the input.
Message 9 of 12
brainstewn
Tutor

I discoverd that when the wirless security options is set to "NONE" the nest doorbell is found and works well on the Orbi RBR850.  When I enable security using any of the three options the next doorbell is offline.  I have started a ticket with Google Nest Support and they have it flagged as "Consult" and I was told that a senior technician is pursuing a solution.  They offered to do a three way call with Netgear Support which may be my next troubleshooting step.

Message 10 of 12
michaelm8718
Guide

@brainstewn

Thanks for the response

At the end I sold my Orbi router set as I started having other issues, difficulty upgrading etc. So I figured for a set that costs best part of a £1000 it was not worth it and I managed to sell it for most of my money and bought a single Asus RXA86U and all is wonderful!! No disconnections and everything works wonderfully.

So I reckon it was the router. My Arlo Pro 3 work really well and so does my Nest Hello!
Message 11 of 12
brainstewn
Tutor

This is for the RBR850 but this model does not appear in the Model menu above.

I found that the Nest Hello doorbell stayed connected when I used the Guest Wireless Network with NO security.  Anytime I enbabled any of the current and antiquated WPA security modes the Nest doorbell would go offline. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7