Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 / RBS850 WiFi WPA-3 and 6Ghz

RBR850 / RBS850 WiFi WPA-3 and 6Ghz

While configuring my WiFi security on my new Orbi mesh system I realized I cannot set my security method to WPA-3-Personal due to some of my devices not supporting it and thus not connecting. I am curious though because at the bottom of the config page it says "Note: 6GHz WiFi supports only WPA3 encryption" Does my system support WiFi 6GHz? I'm confused since I thought it was a 6E capability. Can someone explain to me the meaning of that Note? I believe I read somewhere the satellite communicates with the router on it's own secure/islolated backhaul frequency, however the satellite shows connected to the router on the 5GHz frequency. It there a relationship here?  

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX is WiFI6 only, not 6E. It supports WPA3 single mode only. There is not mixed WPA2/WPA3 modes. There were problems found with mixed mode. Also WPA3 has been compromised. So keep to WPA2 and AES for now. 

@wRiNkLe_sTiCk wrote:

While configuring my WiFi security on my new Orbi mesh system I realized I cannot set my security method to WPA-3-Personal due to some of my devices not supporting it and thus not connecting. I am curious though because at the bottom of the config page it says "Note: 6GHz WiFi supports only WPA3 encryption" Does my system support WiFi 6GHz? I'm confused since I thought it was a 6E capability. Can someone explain to me the meaning of that Note? I believe I read somewhere the satellite communicates with the router on it's own secure/islolated backhaul frequency, however the satellite shows connected to the router on the 5GHz frequency. It there a relationship here?  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'm betting its an app error in preparation for 6E. The only 6E router netgear currently makes is the RAXE500 and it hasn't even been released yet. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX is WiFI6 only, not 6E. It supports WPA3 single mode only. There is not mixed WPA2/WPA3 modes. There were problems found with mixed mode. Also WPA3 has been compromised. So keep to WPA2 and AES for now. 

@wRiNkLe_sTiCk wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7