Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Random internet disconnects devices only on one satellite

brandobot
Guide

RBR850 Random internet disconnects devices only on one satellite

I've been running into random disconnects of devices on one satellite. Seems to happen after a week after rebooting router/satellites. Once it starts happening, it'll randomly disconnect for 3-5 minutes and then reconnect, sometimes multiple times per day. After I reboot the router/satellites, it stops for about a week. Other devices on my network stay connected without issue.

Things I've tried:
- Swapped the two satellites and the issue persists.

- Changed Netgear RBR850 from AP mode to Router mode using IP Passthrough (disabled AT&T firewall)

AT&T Fiber Modem (BGW210)
Netgear RBR850 (2 satellites, 1 router. All devices ~60 ft away from eachother. Connection is "good" according to admin console)

The two devices that are losing network connection are hardwired to a satellite. They lose connection at the same exact time. The sallelite is wirelessly connected to the router. One thing I've noticed is that the satellite would sometimes have a solid blue light. (I haven't seen the satellite or router that is in a working state exhibit this behavior)

From the admin console logs. The timestamp is ~20 minutes after my network went down).

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:13
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.1.241, Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:11
[Internet disconnected] Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:05

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@brandobot wrote:

I've been running into random disconnects of devices on one satellite. Seems to happen after a week after rebooting router/satellites. Once it starts happening, it'll randomly disconnect for 3-5 minutes and then reconnect, sometimes multiple times per day. After I reboot the router/satellites, it stops for about a week. Other devices on my network stay connected without issue.
Be sure all RBS are using same version of FW as RBR. 
Things I've tried:
- Swapped the two satellites and the issue persists. <Does the problem follow the one RBS or remain at same location? 

- Changed Netgear RBR850 from AP mode to Router mode using IP Passthrough (disabled AT&T firewall)

AT&T Fiber Modem (BGW210)
Netgear RBR850 (2 satellites, 1 router. All devices ~60 ft away from eachother. Connection is "good" according to admin console)

The two devices that are losing network connection are hardwired to a satellite. They lose connection at the same exact time. The sallelite is wirelessly connected to the router. One thing I've noticed is that the satellite would sometimes have a solid blue light. (I haven't seen the satellite or router that is in a working state exhibit this behavior)

From the admin console logs. The timestamp is ~20 minutes after my network went down).

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:13
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.1.241, Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:11
[Internet disconnected] Monday, Nov 01,2021 15:39:05

Try a factory reset on the one RBS, after it's blinking WHITE, pull the power adapter for 5 minutes. Remove the Disconnected RBS from the RBRs web page. Then plug back in and re-sync the RBS. I'd power OFF the other RBS while this is going on. Leave the other RBS OFF and test the one RBS for operation.

Message 2 of 8
brandobot
Guide

Just reset the device with no luck. Network is still dropping on the devices that are hardwired to the satellite.

As a test, I moved one of the hardwired devices on the satellite directly the router and the issue went away. So I'm relatively certain the issue is with the satellite, although I'm not sure what's causing the issue. 

I have monitoring on my devices and I'm able to see the network drop numerous times throughout the day.

FWIW -- rebooting just the satellite doesn't solve the issue, but if I reset the modem, router, and satellite, things will be fine for a few days. Once the disconnects starts happening, it'll happen numerous times a day until I reboot again.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

- Swapped the two satellites and the issue persists. <Does the problem follow the one RBS or remain at same location? 

Message 4 of 8
brandobot
Guide

The problem remains at the same location; however, it only affects devices hardwired to the satellite.

I have 2 wifi cameras attached to the same location and there are no blips in the network. The 2 hardwired devices go down for 3-5 minutes consistently every hour or so.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you swapped RBS and the problem remains at this location only, seem that maybe there could be a distance issue. Can you move the RBS closer to the RBR. Turn OFF the other RBS temporarily. Then see if the RBS continues to expeience the problem. 

Message 6 of 8
brandobot
Guide

I don’t think this is a distance issue. As mentioned, only the hardwired devices continuously lose network. The wifi cameras connected to the same satellite never drop connection. I’ve verified through the admin console that they’re all connected to the same satellite.

Devices connected via hardwire from the satellite are all getting 300 mbps download and the connection status is always “good” when i check the satellite connection to the router.

The satellite position is roughly 50ft from the router.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try 40ft with the RBS...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements