Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 latest firmware CONSTANT DISCONNECTIONS

hkoppp
Star

RBR850 V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 latest firmware CONSTANT DISCONNECTIONS

Guys, ever since latest firmware update on my orbi router im having constantly daily disocnnections at least 5 times per day

never happened on an older firmware version

i cant use my internet like this

spent 2-3 hours of different level support netgear being passed around

just to create a ticket about the issue going no where

need help

i want to downgrade to a stable version but it keeps reverting back to latest version firmware

any idea guys?

been using my orbi router with 1 sat for 3 months no issues until this new update came out

random disconnections

Message 1 of 15
hkoppp
Star

Re: RBR850 V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 latest firmware CONSTANT DISCONNECTIONS

pin reset twice

rebooted mutiple times both modem and router

only this version firmware causes major disconnection issues very disappointed it wasnt tested before being released

also very disappointed a simple function like disable auto firmware update is not implented in this orbi hub

really hoping a fix or a new firmware update to come out soon 

or asus here i come

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@hkoppp wrote:

Guys, ever since latest firmware update on my orbi router im having constantly daily disocnnections at least 5 times per day

i want to downgrade to a stable version but it keeps reverting back to latest version firmware

I agree that most of us who participate in this Orbi forum have zero experience with the new "AX" product line.

How many firmware versions back have you gone?

After a manual firmware update (to an older version), how long is it before the Orbi goes back to v3.2.18.1 by itself?

While waiting for a solution, could you give more description of "what happens" many times a day?

• Does the actual internet connection disappear from the Orbi web interface?
  • Does the Orbi WiFi signal drop?
  • Does it appear that the DNS function stops working?
    i.e. you can 'ping' an IP address, such as 1.1.1.1 but cannot ping by URL one.one.one.one?
  • Are all devices in the network affected the same way?
  • What is the Orbi connected to? (ordinary modem? combination modem/router?)
Message 4 of 15
hkoppp
Star

i.e. you can 'ping' an IP address, such as 1.1.1.1 but cannot ping by URL one.one.one.one?

yeah says waiting connection error 

wifi drops on all laptops

dns doesnt work as wifi is disconnected

all device affected

orbi connected to modem 

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@hkoppp wrote:

yeah says waiting connection error 

wifi drops on all laptops

dns doesnt work as wifi is disconnected

all device affected

orbi connected to modem 

"waiting connection" is a message on the laptop?

Can any of the laptops be connected to the Orbi with an ethernet cable?

Are there any "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices connected to the Orbi that can be accessed from a cell phone app.  My thermostat and smart plugs, for example, can be reached with the app when I am not even at home.

The power LED on the back of the router is still green, correct?

When this happens, do things recover if the reset button is pressed briefly (one second) or the power is cycled?

Message 6 of 15
hkoppp
Star

waiting connection error is on the orbi router interface 

router is pink when this happens

yes i have laptops connected on cat5 hardwired loss of internet on all devices 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for being patient with me.  This is very strange. With that message on the orbi web interface, it is clear that there is no internet connection.  An Orbi does not need internet in order for the WiFi to function.  (True, 99.9% of people would not be able to do much without internet, but the network can still function. For example, a person could print, access an internal web server, watch security cameras, etc. without using the internet.)  My Orbi recently lost internet when a power outage took down Spectrum in my neighborhood, but the Orbi WiFi remained up until its UPS drained.  Ordinarily, "no internet" does not necessarily mean "no WiFi".

If this were an absolutely predictable and repeatable phenomenon, I would be tempted to connect a laptop directly to the modem and have it ping one.one.one.one indefinitely until the internet drops.  I would happily go without computers for two hours to be able to pin the issue squarely on the ISP.  Alas, it is probably not that predictable. No one can give up internet indefinitely "just waiting".

I am also sort of obsessed with the ISP/Orbi DHCP dialog.  We have another thread going where the ISP issues a DHCP lease of 5 minutes (300 seconds), which means the Orbi requests to renew the lease every 150 seconds.  Would it be convenient to look up the current DHCP lease and see if the expiration of the lease in any way correlates with the problem? (Advanced Tab, the blue box labelled "Connection Status")

I did not see any mention of the ISP response. When squirrels went after a friend's cable TV line, they were going crazy trying to figure out why their internet was so flakey.  Most ISP's can probe the modem remotely and verify that the cable connections are good.

Message 9 of 15
hkoppp
Star

Subnet Mask255.255.255.224
Default Gateway135.23.245.129
DHCP Server7.127.2.16 
DNS Server206.248.154.22
Lease Obtained2 days,0 Hours,0 Minutes
Lease Expires1 days,18 Hours,29 Minutes
Message 10 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks again for your patience.  Whatever the problem is, we can be certain that it is not connected to DHCP lease time.

I cannot think of anything that would cause the Orbi WiFi to stop.

Any time a system has been working fine for months and suddenly begins to behave erratically, we always ask, "what changed?"

Message #1 said this has been happening "ever since the latest firmware update".  This firmware became available April 13, 2021. Do you recall when the Orbi firmware updated?

Message 11 of 15
hkoppp
Star

correct this happened soon as my firmware upgraded 

said this in first post.

Message 12 of 15
hkoppp
Star

please help no fix

still getting random disconnects

i have to release renew each time to get my internet back

tried the access site block netgear updates still automatically updates to the latest version which sucks

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try blocking with a spare router...

Message 14 of 15
expectedbetter1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@hkoppp wrote:

I believe I have the same issue as @hkoppp..  I cannot speak for that individual, but this is what happens to me....

I agree that most of us who participate in this Orbi forum have zero experience with the new "AX" product line.

How many firmware versions back have you gone?

After a manual firmware update (to an older version), how long is it before the Orbi goes back to v3.2.18.1 by itself?

within 15 minutes.  

While waiting for a solution, could you give more description of "what happens" many times a day?

The connection the internet is dropped. The Orbi isn't displaying magenta   wifi/wired connections still work, but I get the "ERROR: Not Connected" on my router status.     Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 11.31.01 PM.png.  

In about 30 seconds it will go back to being connected with STATUS:GOOD.  but this intermittent "Not Connected" happens all the time.  In fact, when the problem started, it was infrequent, but the frequency has increased steadily.  Now it happens more than 15 times an hour.

Magenta is NOT displayed, but there is no cnnection.

No.  WiFi connection remains intact.

DNS continues to work

Yes

Connected to a Netgear Nighthawk modem.  Xfinity is broadband service provider.  I have an RBR850 running V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 .

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7