Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 as AP mode, setup and satellite functionality

justintan
Aspirant

RBR850 as AP mode, setup and satellite functionality

I am a new owner of the RB853 orbi ax6000. In fact 2 sets of these. 

I am planning to setup my home network as such, ALL WIRED: 

option A: modem -> tplink router -> orbi router1 as AP->switch->satellite1

->satellite2

->satellite3

->satellite4

->orbi router2 as AP

option B: modem -> tplink router -> switch-> orbi router1 as AP

->satellite1

->satellite2

->satellite3

->satellite4

->orbi router2 as AP

Which option do you think is better? I read that the switch should always be behind the RBR850, but not sure if still required to run behind the RBR if I am running RBR in AP mode. 

other questions: 

a. Also I cannot get round my head, if using orbi router in AP mode, the satellites basically become APs as well?

b. Would it lose its 1 SSID roaming function, and espeically so since I have 2 RBR routers? Again read that its better to have 2 different SSID for the 2nd router. Or should I just run 1 router inorder to only have 1 SSID.  

c. to give some insight, actually I have 2 modems(2 ISP) and want to use a dual WAN TP link router to make use of both gigbit subscriptions.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If your RBS are ethernet connected, they need to be connected behind the RBR, router or AP mode. So you can have a switch in front of the RBR however you may need one behind the RBR if you run out of LAN ports for the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@justintan wrote:

I am a new owner of the RB853 orbi ax6000. In fact 2 sets of these. 

I am planning to setup my home network as such, ALL WIRED: 

->satellite2

->satellite3

->satellite4

->orbi router2 as AP

option B: modem -> tplink router -> switch-> orbi router1 as AP

->satellite1

->satellite2

->satellite3

->satellite4

->orbi router2 as AP

Which option do you think is better? I read that the switch should always be behind the RBR850, but not sure if still required to run behind the RBR if I am running RBR in AP mode. 

Option #1 would be preferred if your going to connect RBS to the RBR via ethernet with a switch. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

other questions: 

a. Also I cannot get round my head, if using orbi router in AP mode, the satellites basically become APs as well? Basically but still use the wired or wireless backhaul to connect to the main RBR so sitll mesh. 

b. Would it lose its 1 SSID roaming function, and espeically so since I have 2 RBR routers? Again read that its better to have 2 different SSID for the 2nd router. Or should I just run 1 router inorder to only have 1 SSID.  

You'll want to use a separate SSID on the 2nd RBR in AP mode. Do not use same SSID on the 2nd RBR in AP Mode. 

c. to give some insight, actually I have 2 modems(2 ISP) and want to use a dual WAN TP link router to make use of both gigbit subscriptions.

Thanks!!

Message 2 of 4
justintan
Aspirant

Thanks Fury for your reply. 

->satellite2

->satellite3

->satellite4

->orbi router2 as AP

Actually I was hoping for option B. Option A topology seems weird to me becasue then all traffic needs to go through orbi router 1 (AP mode)? My switch is a unmanaged 24 port switch and includes other devices like PC, TV etc. I just want to be doubly sure about this?  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If your RBS are ethernet connected, they need to be connected behind the RBR, router or AP mode. So you can have a switch in front of the RBR however you may need one behind the RBR if you run out of LAN ports for the RBS. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7