Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 - disappeared from Orbi app and Web interface gone

dckiwi
Guide

RBR850 - disappeared from Orbi app and Web interface gone

Until a couple of days ago my Orbi RBR850 was available in the Orbi iOS app, and I could login to the admin interface via www.orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1.

Now for some reason it has disappeared from the app, and the web interface refuses connections. I even port scanned the internal interface (192.168.1.1) and the only open ports are 53/tcp and 5000/tcp. So the Web server isn't even listening for new connections.

I can ping 192.168.1.1, and the Wifi and Internet access are working fine. I just can't login to administer the router. Any ideas?

PS I tried power cycling it multiple times.

Message 1 of 20
rjward
Tutor

Re: RBR850 - disappeared from Orbi app and Web interface gone

I came here looking for help with the very same issue.  My 750 stopped responding, and even after a factory reset it is still blocking all connections, and bitdefender total security went haywire.  Pardon the jumbled reply - I am on  a very small screen trying to resolve this

Message 2 of 20
dckiwi
Guide

Did it disappear from the Orbi app as well? Interesting to hear that even a factory reset didn't fix it.

I also noticed that the front light is no longer illuminated - I feel like it is usually glowing white?

Message 3 of 20
rjward
Tutor

Yes it disappeared from the app which is what clued me in something was up. I could not access via IP address from any computer although the network was functional. I did a factory reset and all hell broke loose.
Message 4 of 20
pr5889
Aspirant

Orbi App was working until 2 days ago. The Orbi RBR850 appears to be working without problem and connected to the internet but all of the sudden there is no way to access the router.  The App will not connect to the Orbi router no matter what I do. Says that the router is offline or VPN is blocking it. Access anywhere doesn't work. Orbilogin and 192.168.1.1 doesn't work. I disconnected the satellites, did a power reboot but no success. I uninstalled and reinstalled the App but no success.

My next move is to factory reset the Entire Orbi system and put it back together.

Before I do this, anyone else have this happen and what did you do to fix it. VERY frustrating!!!

Message 5 of 20
Vinmega
Tutor

I am also in the same boat here.
Really hoping not to do a factory reset, I have 41 devices on here.
Orbi app will not connect to the router, says cannot connect. Internet works fine, but I have no insight if the satellites are working or what's going on. What is Netgear going to do?
Probably find out in a few days it was a massive hack.
Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the RBR by pressing the Reset button for 15 seconds then release. Connect a wired PC to the back of the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and walk thru the setup wizard.

@dckiwi wrote:

Until a couple of days ago my Orbi RBR850 was available in the Orbi iOS app, and I could login to the admin interface via www.orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1.

Now for some reason it has disappeared from the app, and the web interface refuses connections. I even port scanned the internal interface (192.168.1.1) and the only open ports are 53/tcp and 5000/tcp. So the Web server isn't even listening for new connections.

I can ping 192.168.1.1, and the Wifi and Internet access are working fine. I just can't login to administer the router. Any ideas?

Message 7 of 20
rjward
Tutor

Factory reset did not address it on my 750.  It only made matters worse. Even after the reset, the IP address of the router was pingable but not accessible, and all secured connections were blocked. App would connect to the orbi wifi directly but would not setup. And bitdefender went completely crazy.

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you press the reset button for 15 seconds then release then connect 1 wired PC to the back of the RBR and use MS Edge, FireFox or Opera to walk thru the setup wizard? 

@rjward wrote:

Factory reset did not address it on my 750.  It only made matters worse. Even after the reset, the IP address of the router was pingable but not accessible, and all secured connections were blocked. App would connect to the orbi wifi directly but would not setup. And bitdefender went completely crazy.

Message 9 of 20
rjward
Tutor

Yes. There have been multiple factory resets and direct connection attempts. 

I have made some progress using an unprotected mac with safari, but it is still a bit of a wreck. The IP keeps telling me to use the app, which does not find the orbi even when successfully connected to the orbi wifi setup network. Using a PC/mac I'm redirected to ORBILOGIN.com/net , which is then not allowed.  I'm trying to find the pages of alerts to post here where every single connection and anything requiring a certificate was being denied by the orbi.  I replaced the orbi with my backup router as a workaround to at least give me a connection and to see if something more nefarious was afoot on my network. 

I've narrowed it down to the Orbi.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the RBR disconnected from the ISP Modem/ONT, press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. With 1 wired PC and web browser, navigate to 192.168.1.1. If you see that your directed to use Orbi app. DO NOT. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and select "Dont' have a mobile device" link. This will continue the setup wizard in the browser. Walk thru the router. You can select manual setup or configure the orbi yourself. This should continue thru the wizard process. Be sure to write down any important information for safe keeping. Eventually you should land on the RBRs home page. At this point, connect the RBR back to the ISP modem/ONT. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the RBR by pressing the Reset button for 15 seconds then release. Connect a wired PC to the back of the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and walk thru the setup wizard. Do not attempt to use the orbi app for this. I would disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ont temporarily until you get thru the setup wizard.

@dckiwi wrote:

Message 12 of 20
jrwashburn
Aspirant

Factory reset made my situation (RBR850) much worse -- it was at least working before reset. After a call to support, I was told to do the following, which worked. The first part was done with power on - never unplugged just disconnect all but hard-wired computer and press reset for 1 min.

1. disconnect the modem from the router
2. connect your computer wired to the router (only the computer connected)
3. press the reset for 1min
4. wait until the light turns solid white
(if the GUI is still not accessible, proceed with shocked reset)

1. press and hold the reset for 30secs
2. while holding the reset, unplug the power adapter and wait for another 30secs
3. after 30secs, plug the power adapter but still holding the reset and wait for the last 30secs
4. wait until the light turns solid white
(if the GUI is still not accessible, proceed to ping the router)

If still no gui after the second approach, they recommend manual (TFTP) downgrade of firmware. I didn't need to do that.

Message 13 of 20
jrwashburn
Aspirant

P.S. I was quite skeptical having tried multiple hard resets between 15-30 seconds... but one minute seems to be different for some reason... 

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

1 Minute in regards too? 

@jrwashburn wrote:

P.S. I was quite skeptical having tried multiple hard resets between 15-30 seconds... but one minute seems to be different for some reason... 

Message 15 of 20
jrwashburn
Aspirant

1 minute w/r/t reset button (holding it 1 minute, powered on, vs. 15 or 30 seconds.)

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. 

So a 15-20 second press and release didn't work for you at all? 

@jrwashburn wrote:

1 minute w/r/t reset button (holding it 1 minute, powered on, vs. 15 or 30 seconds.)

Message 17 of 20
jrwashburn
Aspirant

That is correct. Multiple (I think 4 or 5) attempts at a 15 second reset did not resurrect listening on port 443. It did reset the config -- e.g. back to default wireless network and all settings gone -- which is why I say it made things worse. But nothing alive on port 443 after any of those attempts.

1 minute hold, disconnected from all ethernet except a direct wired computer, did it. Seems strange to me, but... that's what it took.

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Thank you for mentioning this and confirming it. Will pass this along and keep it on hand for those users with same problem. 

Good to know.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@jrwashburn wrote:

That is correct. Multiple (I think 4 or 5) attempts at a 15 second reset did not resurrect listening on port 443. It did reset the config -- e.g. back to default wireless network and all settings gone -- which is why I say it made things worse. But nothing alive on port 443 after any of those attempts.

1 minute hold, disconnected from all ethernet except a direct wired computer, did it. Seems strange to me, but... that's what it took.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@rjward wrote:

Yes. There have been multiple factory resets and direct connection attempts. 

I have made some progress using an unprotected mac with safari, but it is still a bit of a wreck. The IP keeps telling me to use the app, which does not find the orbi even when successfully connected to the orbi wifi setup network. Using a PC/mac I'm redirected to ORBILOGIN.com/net , which is then not allowed.  I'm trying to find the pages of alerts to post here where every single connection and anything requiring a certificate was being denied by the orbi.  I replaced the orbi with my backup router as a workaround to at least give me a connection and to see if something more nefarious was afoot on my network. 

I've narrowed it down to the Orbi.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7