Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 iPhone shows as wired and dns failures

rs8967643
Tutor

RBR850 iPhone shows as wired and dns failures

I have a RBR850 with two satellites, one of them with wired back haul. When my iPhone is connected to the wired satellite, it shows up as wired (not that I care, but might be part of problem). When walking around the house my iPhone will lose access to the internet. The WiFi strength is fine, and the connected network is also correct, but when I scan the network from my IPhone it will have its own default IP, and obviously dhcp must have failed. I have to cycle the iPhone WiFi to fix it. Seems like a new thing this year, not sure when it started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR850 iPhone shows as wired and dns failures

1. what firmware is on the router? And the satellites?

2. What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

3. if you're using the satellites with wired backhaul, how are connected back to the router? Directly? Running through a switch? Running through the isp's modem/gateway?

Message 2 of 5
rs8967643
Tutor

Router is connected to a cable modem.

Router firmware is: V4.6.8.2
Satellite one is: V4.6.3.16
Satellite two is the same.

Wired satellite is connected directly to the Orbi router.

When iPhone is connected to the Wired satellite it shows up as wired .

When walking around the house the iPhone appears to fail to get an IP address assigned, so it has plenty of wireless signal but a default IP address so it does not connect to the internet. iPhone is a 13 pro max.

Thanks for any help. I’m going to try using wireless backhaul to see if things connect ok then.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@rs8967643 wrote:
Router is connected to a cable modem.----Which cable modem? model helps. 

Router firmware is: V4.6.8.2
Satellite one is: V4.6.3.16
Satellite two is the same.

Wired satellite is connected directly to the Orbi router.

When iPhone is connected to the Wired satellite it shows up as wired .----that's normal as the router sees it as wired because the satellite is hardwired into the router. 

When walking around the house the iPhone appears to fail to get an IP address assigned, so it has plenty of wireless signal but a default IP address so it does not connect to the internet. iPhone is a 13 pro max.----are you using private mac/ip address or icloud relay? if so, disable those at home. 

Thanks for any help. I’m going to try using wireless backhaul to see if things connect ok then.

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Had the same issue as you described. Turning off ‘private wifi address’ and ‘limit IP address tracking’ on my iOS devices seems to have fixed the issues for me.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7