Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 needs weekly restart

thsiao
Aspirant

RBR850 needs weekly restart

I purchased an RBR850 that came with a satellite RBS850 about a year ago and didn’t really have any issues with it. A few months ago I added another satellite RBS850 and that’s when I started to see issues with my system. I stupidly updated the firmware in the two older devices to the latest one V3.2.16.22 and it didn’t solve anything. The issue I’m having is that every 5-7 days the main router loses connection to the internet and the white light starts blinking. It will reconnect eventually but will continue to do this periodically every few hours. The temporary fix is restarting everything (router and modem) and that seems to fix it for the next 5-7 days again and all of a sudden the same thing happens again. Help please.
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

My firmware is V3.2.16.22 and I have not done any factory resets to the system other than making sure all devices are on the same firmare. My IPV6 was already disabled and my channels where 1 and 44. I changed them to 6 and 48 to see if that helps. The 20/40 coexistence does not allow me to select one only. Only on or off so I turned it off to see if that helps.
Message 3 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

I also set both to short preamble. We’ll see if it helps. Sick of turning off/on my modem and router every 3-4 days.
Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking the 20.40Mhz box sets 40Mhz only. 

Let us know. 

@thsiao wrote:
My firmware is V3.2.16.22 and I have not done any factory resets to the system other than making sure all devices are on the same firmare. My IPV6 was already disabled and my channels where 1 and 44. I changed them to 6 and 48 to see if that helps. The 20/40 coexistence does not allow me to select one only. Only on or off so I turned it off to see if that helps.

Message 5 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

The box says “Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence”. Do I check it or leave it unchecked?
Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ooops, typo

Un-Checking the 20/40Mhz box sets 40Mhz only.

Message 7 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Got it. Tried all your suggestions so I hope it works! Fingers crossed...
Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

We too. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

This time I was able to go for a whole week (vs 4-5 days) but the same problem just happened again! I’ll try the update and give it another shot.
Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend a factory reset and setup from scratch after updating.

Message 12 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Did firmware and factory reset and still having the same problem! Do the satellites not need to be resynced after a factory reset (pressing pin on the back for several seconds until orange led blinks)? I had to redo my network name and password but the satellites were still connecting even after I tried to reset the satellites too. Very strange.
Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

How long did you press the reset button? 15 seconds then release should reset them. 

What all do you have connected to the RBR? 

You might turn OFF both RBS and run just the RBR alone. 

Message 14 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Actually when I reset it the first time I unplugged the satellites just to try to test the router alone. Yes I would press the reset for around 15 seconds. However, after resetting the router and while I was finishing updating some of the settings, the router restarted again.

So if I unplug the router and the modem and restart everything. The system will be fine for 3-6 days. However, as soon as the router starts to drop the connection/restart (white led flashing), it will then do this disconnecting/restarting cycle every few minutes which leads me to no choice but to unplug the router and modem again. It’s driving me nuts...
Message 15 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 16 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

It’s an Arris TM1602A. Provider is Spectrum. I’ve had this modem for years and never had an issue until I added that damn second satellite a few months ago.
Message 17 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

So with out the additional RBS does the system still not work right? 

Seems like an odd issue. 

I would try the RBR alone and see if the problem still happens. 

That model modem could use an update. The TM series wasn't Arris's best. 

Message 18 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Correct. I was trying it without the satellites the other day when I was resetting it and the same issue happened while I was changing some settings!!! I’ll try to see if they will issue me a newer router. Maybe the latest firmwares and the router don’t jive.
Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Been using v12 since it first came out. 

Firmware Version: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

CPU Load: 12.65%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 493 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 11 days 07:19:46

Message 20 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

I got the new router from Spectrum and I’m worried this one is crappier than my existing one. It’s Spectrum branded model ET2251. Should I even bother setting it up???
Message 21 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Nevermind I hooked up the new modem so let’s see what happens.
Message 22 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Haven't been a fan of Hitron modems:

https://us.hitrontech.com/products/service-providers/en2251-res-cable-modem/

Somnthing to try and see. If not, ask your ISP if the support any user owned modems, Get you own and see if they support either NG, Motorola or Arris branded modems on there network. 

For troubleshooting ISP cable modem problems:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 23 of 33
thsiao
Aspirant

Same thing still happening with the new modem... wtf. Any other ideas???
Message 24 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Power off the modem for 30 seconds then back on. Just use the RBR alone. 

What is brand and model of the new ISP Modem? 

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7