Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 - no access to interface

sas123
Star

RBR850 - no access to interface

I have an RBR850 WiFi 6 with one satellite.  I have a lot of smart home devices on the nework (over 80)

As of a few days ago, I cannot access the router interface via iPhone app nor can I access it via web interface (192.168.1.1 or www.orbilogin.com).  The iphone app just circle and then say it cannot conncet. I cannot access via app through remote access either.  On the web interface, it clocks out. 

Interestingly, my network is working fine without any issues at all!

I know I can go ahead and uplug and replug the router and its satellites hoping for this work but this happened to me a month ago as well for now reason.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 - no access to interface

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What broswer are you using? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 168
sas123
Star

I  don't know the exact firmware number as I cannot access it currenlty. But, when I last checked 4 days ago, it said firmware was up to date.

I have tried Edge, Chrome, Orbi iPhone App.

I have not done a factory reset as it's kind of a last effort measure.  As I said, my network with over 80 Wifi devices is up and running and no issues. Problem is lack of access to the interface.

I know I have to reboot all and have all wifi devices reconnect but was trying to see if this was reported before.

As an aside, the main router light has remained on solid white.  I read somewhere on this forum this might indicate a set up that has not completed.  I don't understand why and how as eveything has been well for over a month.

Message 3 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend a reset and setup from scratch on the RBR and RBS. Press the reset button in for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC. I would not enable Armor at the end.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 168
mdouglas10
Guide

This is happening yo me as well in the last week. There must be something going on.
Message 5 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

For users seeing accessibility problems with the Orbi app, please post in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

As I and others have seen connection issues with the app before.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 168
mdouglas10
Guide

This is not only on the app. I am unable to access the admin interface from a browser on multiple devices unless I restart the router and satellite . I will then have access for a couple days and then it will dissapear again , with connection timing out.
Message 7 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

Ive just put my RBK853 back online in router mode yesterday. I'll be sure to check on this in a few days...

I use Edge and Opera and Opera GX for my browsers. 

Message 8 of 168
mdouglas10
Guide

I've used Firefox , Chrome , on multiple devices (Samsung galaxy and windows pc). Its just the admin interface that becomes unreachable. Internet access is fine. No factory reset.
Message 9 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a factory reset and setup from scratch...

Message 10 of 168
mdouglas10
Guide

That shouldn't be necessary, and I find it strange that others are seeing the same issue.
Message 11 of 168
sas123
Star

So now I checked the forum section on the app and this appears to be a problem that many people are experiencing which is lack of access to the router even though network function remains intact.

Based on what is reported over there, this not an IOS or app issue as interface cannot be accessed via the web interface either. This is a Netgear issue.

While resetting from scratch seems to be a viable option, it should be not an option for masses for a product this expensive.

Message 12 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use HTTPS://192.169.1.1 vs HTTP? I use HTTP mostly however I have used HTTPS as well. 

Well something I haven't seen on mine, mine was running in AP mode for weeks and now is in router mode. 

Message 13 of 168
brerspidur
Initiate

I have the same issue on 

Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV3.2.16.6_1.4.4

App will not connect while on network or remotely.  Also cannot access interface via ip address on network from multiple browsers.  I have  factory reset the devices, and the issue will eventually come back.  A power cycle of the main orbi will fix it temporarily, but eventually the interface will be inaccessable.  When this happens, then network appears to be operating normally, and I can still ping the orbi at its IP address.  Next time it happens, i will attemp to ping the satelites, but i dont think that makes a difference.  I will say that i have approx 60 devices connected at any given time, mostly low bandwidth devices.  

Message 14 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open a support ticket with NG and let them know what your seeing. 

Its only been a couple of days, however i'm still able to access my RBR in router mode using web browser and Orbi app. 

Message 15 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 16 of 168
skeelo
Luminary

Was also having an issue accessing the mobile interface, fortunately I was still able to access the admin interface via the web.  

Unistalled and reinstalled the mobile app and can now can access the mobile interface, however, I have to do so via "anywhere access", it fails to connect locally.  Not a huge deal since most all of the functionality exists in anywhere access, excluding the remote firmware upgrade capability (when necessary), but frustrating nonetheless.  I do not have the time or interest of completing a factory reset and reinstallation of my entire system everytime there is a firmware upgrade for the app or the router and satellites, my expectation is it all should work as it did previously.

Current app version 2.6.7.0

Router and Satellite Firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

Message 17 of 168
skeelo
Luminary

I think I have it figured out - at least this is what worked on my device (iPhone 10, software version 14.1):

1. Delete any and all Netgear apps - I had the Orbi app (home system) and Nighthawk app (cabin system)

2. Download the Orbi app from app store

3. Open app from device, NOT from app store

4. Follow prompts (e.g., allow network access, allow location access, etc.)

5. Sign in - interestingly the old sign in (email address and Netgear password) no longer works, I had to sign in with the admin account information and password as if I was logging in from my computer's web browser

Once signed in you should have access to all the same features as you did previously.  My guess with the iOS14.x upgrades there are some changes to security that are creating these issues.

Message 18 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes Apple has put some new features in to iOS 14.x Sounds like NG has also adjusted for this.

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this helps others. 

@skeelo wrote:

I think I have it figured out - at least this is what worked on my device (iPhone 10, software version 14.1):

1. Delete any and all Netgear apps - I had the Orbi app (home system) and Nighthawk app (cabin system)

2. Download the Orbi app from app store

3. Open app from device, NOT from app store

4. Follow prompts (e.g., allow network access, allow location access, etc.)

5. Sign in - interestingly the old sign in (email address and Netgear password) no longer works, I had to sign in with the admin account information and password as if I was logging in from my computer's web browser

Once signed in you should have access to all the same features as you did previously.  My guess with the iOS14.x upgrades there are some changes to security that are creating these issues.

Message 19 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

I have trhe RBK853 and have been seeing the very same thing, if i leave it a bit, say a day or so I cannot get to the admin interface, I also cannot get on the orbi app, I use the Orbi App on Android not on IOS.

I notice I can ping the router no problem and a port scan shows its still listening on port 80 and 443 but no way to connect to it at all. Other than that everything operates as expected Wifi doing what it does internet fine etc just no management and no use of the features I nwant to use in terms of shuttings kids internet off etc when i want as the app is unresponsive.

If I reboot it lets me in again, but again only for a day or so (sometimes just hours)

Its almost like the web server for the interface is crashing.

K

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 20 of 168
mdouglas10
Guide

This issue was the final straw for me , sold my rbk 852 and got the asus xt8. Beautiful, reliable app and no issues whatsoever.
Message 21 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

What browser are you using? 

Try a different browser. 

@kevinroy1974 wrote:

I have trhe RBK853 and have been seeing the very same thing, if i leave it a bit, say a day or so I cannot get to the admin interface, I also cannot get on the orbi app, I use the Orbi App on Android not on IOS.

I notice I can ping the router no problem and a port scan shows its still listening on port 80 and 443 but no way to connect to it at all. Other than that everything operates as expected Wifi doing what it does internet fine etc just no management and no use of the features I nwant to use in terms of shuttings kids internet off etc when i want as the app is unresponsive.

If I reboot it lets me in again, but again only for a day or so (sometimes just hours)

Its almost like the web server for the interface is crashing.

K

Message 22 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

Hello,

I am running firmware 3.2.16.6, Internet service providers modem is a virgin superhub 4, it has been powered off and funnily enough if i power off the modem and the router it works but only for a bit as per the previous people on the thread.

As far as firmware reset its only 2 weeks old, it flashed on the inital boot up of the system,

I have tried it with Chrome, IE, Edge etc, this is not a browser issue, the unit is unresponsive on both http and https and this explains why the app doesnt work, it never gets a response.

I can ping again as others have said it pings fine. Just have no access to web interface, not even responding if I telnet to port 80.

If I dont reboot everything else runs fine, internet access good, wifi good just no access to the admin interface or from the app.

If I reboot I get access to both the web interface and the app works but again only for a short period of time usually a day or so.

This very much looks like the web interface crashing.

Many thanks

K

Message 23 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is our modem working in? Router or Bridge mode? 

How was the FW updated? via routers web page or Orbi app? 

@kevinroy1974 wrote:

Hello,

I am running firmware 3.2.16.6, Internet service providers modem is a virgin superhub 4, it has been powered off and funnily enough if i power off the modem and the router it works but only for a bit as per the previous people on the thread.

As far as firmware reset its only 2 weeks old, it flashed on the inital boot up of the system,

I have tried it with Chrome, IE, Edge etc, this is not a browser issue, the unit is unresponsive on both http and https and this explains why the app doesnt work, it never gets a response.

I can ping again as others have said it pings fine. Just have no access to web interface, not even responding if I telnet to port 80.

If I dont reboot everything else runs fine, internet access good, wifi good just no access to the admin interface or from the app.

If I reboot I get access to both the web interface and the app works but again only for a short period of time usually a day or so.

This very much looks like the web interface crashing.

Many thanks

K

Message 24 of 168
bikerapn
Aspirant

Hi - I'm having the exact same problem.  I have the RBK853 package running the latest available firmware.  After a few days, I'm unable to access the web interface or use the app - on both Android and iOS.  A reboot fixes the problem for a while.  I have not tried a full reset yet but may over the weekend.  My gut tells me that a full reset/reconfigure won't fix the issue but I won't know until I try.  I am posting to Netgear support as well.

Andy

Message 25 of 168
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7