Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 problem with Satellite connection to Router dropping

Papasmurph
Aspirant

RBR850 problem with Satellite connection to Router dropping

I have been using RBR850 and 1 Satellite for past 14 months with no issues. in the past few weeks the Satellite keeps dropping connection with router for no reason. I rebooted, resynched and Satellite will reconnect for anything between minutes and days. When connection drops the Satellite is showing up with blue light which means good signal with router. I did read that some RBR850 users has issues since a recent Firmware update, my current version is 4.6.3.16 (no updates available when I checked). 

I am so frustrated with this issue and no help from Netgear

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 problem with Satellite connection to Router dropping

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Might give this a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 7
Papasmurph
Aspirant

House is 3000Sq Ft and the satellite is just under 30 ft from the router - there is a solid block wall between the router and Satellite, but what is not making sense to the dropped connection is that any time I check there is a Blue ligh showing on the Satellite thus confirming there is a good signal to the router.

on the channels I have tried a few but what seemed to help a bit is channel 11 doe 2,4Ghz and I used 44, will try 48 and see if that makes a difference. I do not have any WiFi neighbour interferences at all.

Thanks for your reply - I will also try to do a factory reset but will do that tomorrow

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The front BLUE LED should turn OFF after a few minutes after the RBS is synced or powered UP and online. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Message 4 of 7
Papasmurph
Aspirant

agreed, yes it does that but when the Satellite loses connection when i check the Blue light os lit on the Satellite - strange that why i feel its software issue rather than a distance / interference problem.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also current v4.6.5.14 FW has been problematic for lots of users so please give the v4.6.7.5 FW a try. Hoping it wil help on this. Mines running well. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this? There is newer FW that you can try...

@Papasmurph wrote:

agreed, yes it does that but when the Satellite loses connection when i check the Blue light os lit on the Satellite - strange that why i feel its software issue rather than a distance / interference problem.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7