Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 slow WiFi speeds

BigTex22
Follower

RBR850 slow WiFi speeds

I recently purchased the Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System.  Our current internet is via Frontier with 500/500 mbps.  I turned off the wifi function on our existing Frontier router and plugged our RBR850 router into an existing ethernet jack in our home.  I then placed its companion satellite upstairs.  

We are consitently getting very low speeds from the Orbi router versus what is available through the Frontier one.  The Frontier version consistently delivers 300/300+ service, while the Orbi router is more like 90/90.  I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with the Orbi router, as it's plugged directly into an internet wall jack.  Has anyone else faced this issue?  Before I send back this $700 router/satellite combo for a refund, would ideally like to get it working. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850 slow WiFi speeds

@BigTex22 wrote:

I recently purchased the Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System.  Our current internet is via Frontier with 500/500 mbps.  I turned off the wifi function on our existing Frontier router and plugged our RBR850 router into an existing ethernet jack in our home.  I then placed its companion satellite upstairs.

At first glance, it appears (to me) that the ethernet cabling from the existing Frontier router to the wall jack is rated only for 100mb.

One way to check is to look at the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, and click on the blue box "Show Statistics".  What does it show for the WAN interface?

Also, you may not be aware that Netgear created a separate community forum for the new AX products.  People who participate in that forum probably have more experience with the new product than those of us on this forum who have the older "Original Orbi":

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

As an aside, most of us replace the previous WiFi router with the Orbi router rather than connecting the Orbi to it.  There is often a problem in specific situations with what is called a "Double NAT" condition:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7