Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 slowed down after 4.6.3.9 firmware. unable to revert to 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware

BartNG
Aspirant

RBR850 slowed down after 4.6.3.9 firmware. unable to revert to 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware

Recently did a manual firmware update for the RBR850 and RBS850 to version 4.6.3.9 because of the security related fixes.

Somehow internet seems a lot slower since. 1-2 min interrupts are most noticable with streaming apps Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc.

Trying to do a manual revert back to the previous 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware but that gives a page with:

Firmware Update
Warning! The firmware version you are trying to upload is older than the one you had.
Do you still want to continue?
Current Firmware Version V4.6.3.9_2.0.50
New Version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

With only a "No" button

screenshotscreenshot

Happens in several browser so unable to revert back 😞 

Anyone having the same problems?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 slowed down after 4.6.3.9 firmware. unable to revert to 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware

Perform a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch.

Disable AX mode on the RBR. 

Set CTS to 2347 on the RBR.

Speed test with a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app to check speeds. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@BartNG wrote:

Recently did a manual firmware update for the RBR850 and RBS850 to version 4.6.3.9 because of the security related fixes.

Somehow internet seems a lot slower since. 1-2 min interrupts are most noticable with streaming apps Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc.

Trying to do a manual revert back to the previous 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware but that gives a page with:

Firmware Update
Warning! The firmware version you are trying to upload is older than the one you had.

With only a "No" button

screenshotscreenshot

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 slowed down after 4.6.3.9 firmware. unable to revert to 3.2.18.1_1.4.14 firmware

Perform a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch.

Disable AX mode on the RBR. 

Set CTS to 2347 on the RBR.

Speed test with a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app to check speeds. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@BartNG wrote:

Firmware Update

With only a "No" button

screenshotscreenshot

Message 2 of 15
BartNG
Aspirant

Thanks, my wife needs to work from home the next few days. Will probably make your suggested changes in the upcoming weekend to be safe.

The ISP router is a UBEE EVW321B in bridge mode connected straight to the rbr850

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

One item that is known is that the speed test results on v4 is inaccurate when using the Orbi app and onboard RBR speed test app. Speeds seen thru a wired PC and speed test app on PC should report accurate speed results.

Keep us posted. 

Message 4 of 15
ETyahoo
Initiate

I had the exact same problem. 

I have fiber 1Gbps up/down.  Before upgrading to 4.6.3.9, I got about 300Mbps on wifi, but I got at best 20Mbps after upgrading.  

I tried warm rebooting, changing channels, cold reboot, but nothing worked.  The speed test on Orbi shows the speed I am supposed to get.  

I ended up doing a factory reset.  Now I got wifi speed better than before 4.6.3.9, getting about 470Mbps.  

Got happy family again.  

Message 5 of 15
BartNG
Aspirant

Hi, did the factory reset today and seems all performance problems are solved. Thanks!

Would you suggest a reset after every firmware update?

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@ETyahoo @BartNG 

Normally FW resets aren't needed, just a power OFF of the RBR and RBS. However, in some cases a factory reset is a good thing when odd issues crop up. 

Glad the reset worked for you.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 15
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Personally, I would recommend at least a "Pin-Hole Reset" prior to, but after a Back-Up, and after the installtion of the new FW. Then reentering the set-up info from scratch, then Power Cycling the unit.

Seems a little rash, but look at the problems happening and what we're doing to fix them. Just about all that. I use to do 30-30-30 resets before and after until it was widely discussed that it was no longer needed with the newer tech. BUT, I have had to do a couple of them lately to clean things up and fix problems I was having.

Message 8 of 15
dbarrow
Aspirant

Where do you "disable AX"?

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

On the RBR under Wireless Settings.

@dbarrow wrote:

Where do you "disable AX"?

Message 10 of 15
dbarrow
Aspirant

There is no mention of AX in my Wireless Settings. CTS wa set at 64. When I changed it to 2347 every computer connecter WAY SLOWER (24Mbps). I hchanged it back. Does the Orbi Router somehow limit connection speeds, using some sort of detection algorithm? The same computers connected a 400+Mbps with the older Netgear WNDR router. Tomorrow I'm going to switch everything back to prove that.

Message 11 of 15
raven_au
Virtuoso

@dbarrow wrote:

There is no mention of AX in my Wireless Settings. CTS wa set at 64. When I changed it to 2347 every computer connecter WAY SLOWER (24Mbps). I hchanged it back. Does the Orbi Router somehow limit connection speeds, using some sort of detection algorithm? The same computers connected a 400+Mbps with the older Netgear WNDR router. Tomorrow I'm going to switch everything back to prove that.

That's right, there is no mention of AX in Advanced Tab -> Advanced -> Wireless Settings.

This can be found under either Basic Tab -> Wireless, or Advanced Tab -> Setup -> Wireless Setup.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry meant to day Wireless Setup under Basic Tab. 

After changing CTS, did you reboot or disconnect then re-connect the PCs then retest? 

@dbarrow wrote:

Message 13 of 15
dbarrow
Aspirant

I disabled AX, changed CTS to 2347 and rebooted the computer I am connected with. The connection is about 96Mbps, like before. Even another notebook, new to the network connected at almost the exact same speed. iPhones no connect at around 12Mbps, si I am changing back. Doed the Orbi have some algorithm for throttling the WiFi connection down to <100Mbps? That's sure what it looks like.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

it should not be throttling down anything. 

You might want to revert back to v3 FW. 

@dbarrow wrote:

I disabled AX, changed CTS to 2347 and rebooted the computer I am connected with. The connection is about 96Mbps, like before. Even another notebook, new to the network connected at almost the exact same speed. iPhones no connect at around 12Mbps, si I am changing back. Doed the Orbi have some algorithm for throttling the WiFi connection down to <100Mbps? That's sure what it looks like.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7