Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR852 - App started showing an additional satellite??

KMDonlon
Luminary

RBR852 - App started showing an additional satellite??

I am reposting this here as I have had zero input in the Orbi app forum, wondering if anyone else has noticed this.....

This is a recent issue, the Orbi app is showing an additional satellite that does not exist using the RBR852 system. Rebooted, re-installed the app and still appears. I only have one satellite and my RBR850 is in router mode.
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
KMDonlon
Luminary

Re: RBR852 - App started showing an additional satellite??

Finally solved the mystery satellite issue in my Orbi app. Had time to do a complete factory reset and set everything back up from scratch. I believe my back up config file imported something corrupt and caused the issue of the "satellite-2" showing that was never there.

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 35

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you characterize what devices are connected (wired or wireless) to the real satellite?

What firmware is on the satellite and on the router? (be specific)

I had an issue in the past with a Sonos Boost which was actually backfeeding my satellite causing something like this.

Message 2 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Everything is wireless, nothing connected via Ethernet to either the router or satellite. I am running the same devices that I have always run, thermostats, 4 cameras, video doorbell, Chromecasts, tablets, phones, etc. Nothing new has been added wirelessly since this mystery satellite appears. Also, the extra satellite icon appears to be an older Orbi system if you look at the photo attached.

Also, running latest firmware v. 3.2.15.25.

I believe it is a bug in either the app or latest RBR852 firmware.
Message 3 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and sign out of the orbi app an reboot your phone and RBR. Leaving the RBS turned off? This phantom RBS still appear? 

And you don't have any Orbi AC RBSs? 

I presume a reset has been performed since last FW update? 

I have two RBS so I haven't checked with 1. Thought my initial testing with v15.25 resulted in seeing only 1 RBS during my initial setup process and testing RBS connected to LAN switches:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-v3-2-15-25-FW-update-seen-in-Orbi-App-Today/m-p/1917250...

Message 4 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

I remember from quite a while ago.... something similar on the RBR50s....

Sounds crazy, but try uninstalling the app and reinstalling.  Perhaps some phantom/orphaned data was left over.

Let us know.

Message 5 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Well just had time to do another factory reset and all seems fixed. I did a set up a few weeks back from scratch after the latest firmware update but decided to try again. Low and behold, that fixed it. Odd that it glitched like that but I'm glad it is back to normal now. Thanks for the input fellas 👍
Message 6 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Spoke too soon, the mystery satellite reappeared. Not solved 😞
Message 7 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I think the Orbi app was updated not too long ago...

Glad the reset helped. Mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

It may be a bug in the app since it shows the satellite 2 as an older Orbi. My last post was not solved.
Message 9 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post about over in the Orbi app forum. 

I would also include @Blanca_O and @Christian_R 

Message 10 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

I had posted it there originally as mentioned in my first comment with no assistance so I thought here may help and wanted to see if anyone else in router mode experienced this oddity.
Message 11 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume one of the forum moderators will take a look. 

I also made a new post for the RBK50 system that seems to have an problem with the Orbi app there as well. 

Message 12 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

@KMDonlon wrote:
Spoke too soon, the mystery satellite reappeared. Not solved 😞

Did you try reinstalling the app as well?

Message 13 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Several times and 2 setups from scratch on the Orbi system. The 2nd satellite eventually reappears after a while... Either a firmware bug or app bug but I am leaning towards an app bug. I really did try everything....
Message 14 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Well that theory just went out the window. Downgraded the app version and still shows the additional old style satellite so it must be within the latest Orbi firmware.
Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume Orbi AX doesn't or should include any Orbi AC icons. The Orbi app probalby does as it covers voth Orbi AC and AX systems so the icon would be coming from the app i believe. 

Side note, that I connected my RBS20 to the RBK50 system and not the RBS50 thats wired to the RBR50, now shows as not connected in the Orbi app, however it's connected in the RBRs web page. 

Seems like there maybe some Orbi app issues. 

Message 16 of 35
MB_Love
Apprentice

Mine does same thing -(I have 2 RBS850 satellites), and this 3rd one just shows up. Not connected, so I don’t think it’s doing any harm?
Message 17 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Had a feeling it wasn't just me, hoping they look into this & correct it quickly
Message 18 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Good find. Hope this helps NG find the problem. 

Be sure to post about this over in the Orbi app forum. Seems to be a Orbi app issue that popped up recently. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/RBR852-App-started-showing-an-additional-satellite/td-p/19...

@MB_Love wrote:
Mine does same thing -(I have 2 RBS850 satellites), and this 3rd one just shows up. Not connected, so I don’t think it’s doing any harm?

Message 19 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

No information provided back in either forum from any of the moderators on this as of yet....
Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

WIll have to be patient while NG reviews everything and takes a look at it. I presume they probably know about it. 

Message 21 of 35
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @KMDonlon and @MB_Love

Let me check on this. May I please have the following information: 

- Orbi app version

- Phone iOS/Android version 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/RBR852-App-started-showing-an-additional-satellite/m-p/193...

@Blanca_O wrote:

Let me check on this. May I please have the following information: 

- Orbi app version

- Phone iOS/Android version 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 23 of 35
MB_Love
Apprentice

Lates app and latest firmware (app 2.5.2.1 and FW V3.2.15.25). I set up new system on 6/2 and updated firmware during installation. Extra satellite has always been there since installing new system .
Message 24 of 35
KMDonlon
Luminary

Firmware Version
V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

App Version

Phone:
Motorola z2Force
Android PIE 9.0
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation