Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 connection to network without internet

CR-sound
Aspirant

RBS50 connection to network without internet

I have   a  6 year old RBR50 Orbi mesh system with  2 RBS50s, an RBW 30, and an RBS50y (outdoor). The RBS 50 & RBW30 units  need to be rebooted often to provide wireless internet access , Devices such as a Galaxy 21Ultra will show network connected with no internet. The problem involves both 2.4G and 5G wireless connections. Rebooting solves the problem temporarily. Walking from the area covered by  a satellites  to the area covered by the main router solves the connectivity.

Router firmware for the RBR50:  V2.7.3.22, for the RBW30: 2.6.2.6, for the RBS50: 2.7.3.22.

Wondering if I have a router going bad or what?

If I do need to replace the router, will my current satellites work with a new version of Orbi? I particularly am concerned about the outdoor RBS50Y.

Appreciate the help!

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBS50 connection to network without internet

Hello CR-sound, 

I understand your Galaxy 21Ultra connects to the RBS50  and the RBW30 wireless connection but does not get any internet from the service provider. 

Please try moving the RBS50 closer to the router and observe the connection status. 

Please let us know the results to this solution!

Best, 

Kevin

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@CR-sound wrote:

I have   a  6 year old RBR50 Orbi mesh system with  2 RBS50s, an RBW 30, and an RBS50y (outdoor). The RBS 50 & RBW30 units  need to be rebooted often to provide wireless internet access , Devices such as a Galaxy 21Ultra will show network connected with no internet. The problem involves both 2.4G and 5G wireless connections. Rebooting solves the problem temporarily. Walking from the area covered by  a satellites  to the area covered by the main router solves the connectivity.

Router firmware for the RBR50:  V2.7.3.22, for the RBW30: 2.6.2.6, for the RBS50: 2.7.3.22.

Wondering if I have a router going bad or what?

If I do need to replace the router, will my current satellites work with a new version of Orbi? I particularly am concerned about the outdoor RBS50Y.

Appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

Distances  are over 30 feet.  Need to mention that in the six years since purchase, there has been no problem until recently. Home is around 3,000sqft. 

Any advise  on whether new er Orbi systems support the outdoor satellite?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

That size of home, the RBR and just 1 RBS would only be needed, then maybe the RBSY outside at a distance from nearest RBR or RBS for it to connect too. Yes Orbi AC supports RBSY outdoors. 

Message 5 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

The house was "overbuilt" by an archetect who lived in it...earthquake safe, etc. Lots of rebar makes the mesh system important. If I do get a new system, I'd like to get one of the newer models that support wifi 6, but would hate to loose the outdoor satellite.  As I say, the build of the house makes the outside satellite important if I want to sit in my back yard with connectivity.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance from the house to where you sit in the back yard? 

RBSY is compatible in Extender mode with Orbi AX systems. It won't work in Orbi mode like it does with Orbi AC systems. When in Extender mode, just will act as a wifi extender with out the MESH integration and backhaul features when in Orbi mode. 

Others have use outdoor electrical boxes for actual indoor satellites that works for using one outside. 

Message 7 of 9
CR-sound
Aspirant

Thanks...my experience with range extenders is that they require a  distinct ssid...kind of a hassle. 

Would appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of instructions for setting up the outside satellite as a range extender.

Also curious as to an appropriate outside box for a regular satellite.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The FW for the RBSY has two different versions, one for Orbi mode and one for Extender mode. You need Extender mode FW if you connect the RBSY to Orbi AX system. 

Someone posted in the Orbi AX forum I believe last year talking about outdoor boxes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Outdoor-Satellite/td-p/2129551

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7