Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50's wont update and I cant connect to them - they are connected to RBR850

aceaceuk
Aspirant

RBS50's wont update and I cant connect to them - they are connected to RBR850

I have an RBR850 and 3 satellites. 1 Satellite is the RBS850 and is getting firmware updates fine and I can connect to the webpage of the satellite using the router username and password.

The other 2 satellites are RBS50's - they are connected via Ethernet backhaul and work fine, however they are both running different firmware versions (one is 2.7.2.104 and the other 2.6.1.40). Automatic update of the firmware fails and when I try to connect the webpages of each satellite its asking for a username and password and the router one isnt working for it. I've tried the default and that doesnt work.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or how to totally factory reset the RBS50's so that I can try adding them again?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50's wont update and I cant connect to them - they are connected to RBR850

You'll need to manually up date the RB50s yourself. I recommend that if the RBS are working, leave them be. 

Message 2 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

thanks, as I mentioned I tried to manually update them but they are both asking for a password and the admin password (which works on both the router and other satellite) doesnt work.

yes, they are working, but bug fixes and security patches wont ever get applied if I just leave them which is why I would like to sort them

thanks.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

try the default "password'

Message 4 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

second thing I tried after the actual password, plus admin, plus 1234, etc - it doesnt accept it which is why I'm asking for suggestions on how to fix the issue or fully reset just the 2 satellites

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try resetting them then...

Message 6 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

I have tried resetting them, it doesnt seem to make a difference, hence why I posted my quesiton! Doing the reset with the pin hole doesnt actually reset them it just rejoins them and I have the same issue

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you remove them from the RBRs connected clients page before doing a reset on the RBS? 

Message 8 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

yes, i switched off the satellite, waited for it to show as a problem, clicked remove, powered it back up, did the pin reset thing, and then it added back but with all the same details including the name I gave it and it still doesnt let me connect.

its odd that the reset didnt actually reset the satellite - any suggestions? I held it for 20 seconds before letting go

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. You may have to turn OFF the RBR so the RBS won't connect to it. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR.

Message 10 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

thank you - i will give that a try - i assume the 20 seconds pin thing is the factory reset that should work, theres no special technique?

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just 15 seconds then release. Have the RBR turned OFF so they won't connect. 

Message 12 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

will do - thank you 🙂

Message 13 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

thanks again for the advice - doing that allowed me to connect to each Satellite via wired and upload the firmware using admin/password. When I connected them back up to the router it took on their own names even though they had been removed and i cant connect to them again with either admin/password or admin/actual router password

but at least I have been able to update the firmware!

Message 14 of 16
aceaceuk
Aspirant

and strangely the old Orbi name for the satellites (ORBI20) is being broadcast and not the new one even though the Router shows as being connected

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Im wondering if the RBS50s are not longer compatible with Orbi AX in recent Orbi AX FW...

@aceaceuk wrote:

and strangely the old Orbi name for the satellites (ORBI20) is being broadcast and not the new one even though the Router shows as being connected

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7