Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 - No web page, not identifying itself properly

JoseBlanco
Tutor

RBS750 - No web page, not identifying itself properly

Like many of you I bought the RBR750 + 2 x RBS750 bundle at Costco. When I set it up about a year ago I only needed the one satellite, so after verifying that they both worked I put one of them away. The one that stayed on line still works flawlessly. Everything is now on the latest at this time, 4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

Now that I need the other satellite, it's just a big ol' bundle of issues. I have my router up high in the room where my modem is, and I want to put the satellite in the room above that one so that I can ethernet to the satellite, and use the wireless backhaul.

When I first turned it on upstairs I noticed that it wasn't connecting quite right. It would go from "Good" to "Out of sync" a few times an hour. I tried moving it around, tried tweaking some settings, and I got it to work "ok," but never as stable as I wanted it to be. It worked with ethernet, but even though I can see with an analyzer that it's putting out wifi on both bands no clients upstairs will connect to it. They all connect to one of the downstairs stations.

I finally set aside some quality time to dig into it, and I've spent many hours reading the netgear forums, other web sites, etc. I have tried downgrading the firmware on the router all the way back to 3.10, and there is no improvement.

One of my first indications that it's having problems is that I cannot connect to the satellite's web page. I can ping it, and I brought it downstairs to sit a few feet from the router to make sure that it's not a connection issue, still nothing. I've factory reset both the router and the satellite many times, in different order, etc.

I tried the tftp technique to push an older firmware to the satellite but I can't figure out how to make that work. All the instructions I found were for the router, and the satellite doesn't do the "long reset" mode if you hold down the reset button. I tried holding it down for a full minute, and all it did was blink amber, never red. When I try the power cycle I can start the tftp PUT and it will start the upload while the power light is flashing amber, but it pretty much immediately switches to green and starts to boot, as if it doesn't recognize that there is a tftp connection at all. I used to spend a lot of time working with the WRTs, unbricking routers for friends, etc.; so tftp is something I'm familiar with. I tried it in linux, windows command line, I even tried that cheesy tftpd64 program.

The other oddity is that when it does show up in the "Attached Devices" list, it does not identify itself as an RBS750. The "Device Model" field is empty if I click on the device to see the details. The working satellite doesn't have this issue. Same in the online version of Firmware Update. It shows up, without Model Name, but the router successfully reads the current fw version off the satellite.

I know this long, but I'm at a loss here, and would really like to get this thing working properly again.

Message 1 of 4
JoseBlanco
Tutor

Re: RBS750 - No web page, not identifying itself properly

I called netgear support, got escalated to a senior technician who refused to help me unless I "pre-authorized" a support contract. So this is going back in the box, and netgear loses another customer forever.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS750 - No web page, not identifying itself properly

👍

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements