Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 won't connect to RBR750 Router (after factory reset)

RBS750 won't connect to RBR750 Router (after factory reset)

Hi.

My Orbi RBK750 (Router + 2 Satillites) have been work relatively well since I brought them in May 2021.  One satillite node has been doing random reboots and disconnects and now a week ago would keep displaying the "purple" light, so no longer connected to my router.  It's location has not changed and had been working ok, apart from the intermittent reboots.  This node connects to the router via WIFI, whilst the other satillite connects via ethernet.

I've failed to reconnect/resync the satillite and I've also factory reset the device.  I'm still unable to add the satillete into my network, the router doesn't recognise it and the satillite just cycles around with either pulsing white light or to purple. Basically useless now.

All devices are on latest firmware 4.6.3.16

Is this a known problem?  How do I connect to the Satillite directly?  It feels like this device is a brick now and no longer fit for purpose, so how do I RMA it and get a replacement from Netgear?

Help much appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS750 won't connect to RBR750 Router (after factory reset)

Try a complete power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then  back ON. Move the RBS to same room and RBR and power it ON. Press the sync button in back on the RBS then same button on the RBR. Wait a few minutes.

Message 2 of 8

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thanks for the advice.  I tried this over the weekend and initially I had success.  The RBS did sync and started working again.  I moved the RBS unit back to it's original place and everything was working well... for a few hours.  

After that, the purple light appeared on the RBS unit again and the RBR (and app) showed the unit as being offline and unreachable.

I've repeated the same process I tried before, but this time it doens't work.  I've also tried hardwiring the RBS to the RBR to see if this was a WIFI back hauling issue and it still doesn't resync.

At the moment, the RBS unit is either flash white, solid white or when I re-sync it eventually turns to solid purple.

What are my options now?  Usually, I'd be returning the units for a refund, but my Amazon return has expired.  I only purchased this devices in May 2021 and although one of the RBS units works (wired) this other unit has been completely unstable and now useless.

Cheers,

Tom.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 4 of 8

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thanks.  Square footage is about 1700 ft, 158m2,ground floor... it's a fairly old house, 2 floors, but in the style of a chalet house - bedrooms in the roof, rather than traditional 2 storey house.

We have the RBR in the upstairs, as that's where the master switch is.  The first RBS is approx. 10m away (directly underneath the room the RBR is located).  That is wired in to the RBR now as I was stability issues with the WIFI dropping on my M1 Mac, when the RBS was literally next to it.  
The 2nd RBS, which is the faulty one, if using the wireless for backhaul, and is on the other side of the ground floor, so approx. 15m/20m from the RBR... it is difficult to say, but it definately isn't very far.  I've currently got the 2nd RBS about 2m from the RBR and wired up and it still isn't working.

Kind regards

Tom.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd open a support ticket and let NG know whats happening. 

You might downgrade the RBS back to v7, factory reset them and try to resync them. I'd remove the RBS from the RBRs web page, then re-sync...https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RBS850/m-p/2144453/hi...

Message 6 of 8

Thanks again... seems that I've got to pay for support after 90 days 😞   Will have a look at the cost

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if downgradnig the RBS changes anything, if not, try downgrading to v3. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7