Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 Satellite Constant Rebooting and Failing

msinex
Apprentice

RBS850 Satellite Constant Rebooting and Failing

I have one RBR850 router with two RBS850 Satellites, all updated to the newest firmware.  I have had constant DNS issues which I have posted about in other discussions, and am still having those issues with no real fix despite multiple attempts.   I'm kind of giving up on that issue, because while massively irritating and completely unacceptable for such a pricey system, it's sporadic and manageable and worth the tradeoff on the performance.

I'm now having a new issue with one of my satellites.  It's constantly pulsing white for awhile and will then go to blue for awhile, and will then restart with the pulsing white again.  I think this indicates it is rebooting.  During this time, if I am anywhere near that satellite, my wifii device will try and connect to it, I will be told that there is no internect connection, and then it will jump to my router (I can tell because it is less bars) and you get internet.  It will then bounce back to the satellite as the signal improves, but no internet connection.  I have tried to power up and down both just that satellite, and my entire system, and it hasn't fixed it.  I have tried both a wireless connection and ethernet based for this satellite, and same exact issue.  Whenever I have that satellite not plugged in, I have no wifi internet issues, just a much weaker signal.  

Is there any fix for this?  Can I reset the satellite without having to start from scratch with the whole system?  Has teh Satellite gone bad?

This Orbi system has been very frustrating, but I'm trying to get it to work because it seems to have so much promise.  I do have Geek Squad protection on it for another 14 months, so I'm getting close to just pulling the plug on this system and returning it and starting with something else given the unacceptable DNS issues and now this satellite issue.  I'm willing to put time into a full reset for one more try if there is any hope of it addressing the issues, though.  Any help here would be very appreciated!!

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 Satellite Constant Rebooting and Failing

Ooops, wrong repsonce.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Swap locations with the other RBS to see if behavior follows.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 7
msinex
Apprentice

My fault, I thought I did.  Repost in a few.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

No your fine...please post in this thread...

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 7
msinex
Apprentice

If I am going to do a factory reset, do I need to reset the router and all satellites using the physical reset buttons, or just use the admin return to factory settings button on the software?  I did the software route before, and it didn't impact any of the issues I was having.  Do I update the firmware on the router and satellites before or after the reset?

I answered all this questions before on the DNS issues and didn't seem to be causing any problems.  Router is in router mode, spectrum ISP, 6000 sq foot house with about 35ish feet in between satellites now (both are wired, but seeing same issue when I pop out the ethernet cable), neighbor WiFis aren't close enough to show up consistently on my devices as options,   Never used Circle or Armour.  I can try the other options after the reset, but hope I don't have to turn off IP6 (that's one of the reasons I bought the router).

Thanks for the help!!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Can use UIs ERASE on RBR, Buttion is needed on RBS. 

@msinex wrote:

If I am going to do a factory reset, do I need to reset the router and all satellites using the physical reset buttons, or just use the admin return to factory settings button on the software?  I did the software route before, and it didn't impact any of the issues I was having.  Do I update the firmware on the router and satellites before or after the reset?

I answered all this questions before on the DNS issues and didn't seem to be causing any problems.  Router is in router mode, spectrum ISP, 6000 sq foot house with about 35ish feet in between satellites now (both are wired, but seeing same issue when I pop out the ethernet cable), neighbor WiFis aren't close enough to show up consistently on my devices as options,   Never used Circle or Armour.  I can try the other options after the reset, but hope I don't have to turn off IP6 (that's one of the reasons I bought the router).

Thanks for the help!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7