Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 Satellite Won't Connect

wagnermba
Guide

RBS850 Satellite Won't Connect

After a recent power outage, my Orbi RBR750 fired up fine (as did gateway) and provides wireless coverage as before.  However, my two RBS750 satellites will not show up as connected (in app or on browser).  They do power up, flash white, and then go to solid blue for a couple minutes.  Here's what I've done:

Moved them closer to router.

Left them in their distant locations that worked fine prior.

Hit the sync button on back of router and satellites.

Tried "add a satellite" feature in app.

Hit the sync button on satellites and browser (failed)

Used paperclip to do factory reset.

With all of the above, they turn on, flash white, then go to solid blue for a couple minutes before the light goes off. But, I can't see them in app or on the browser as connected devices.

Help please.   Thanks.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
wagnermba
Guide

Solved!  Or should say resolved.  Found both satellites had upgraded their firmware. Set them back to match the router.  Then, they started showing up on the web page in a room near the router.  After moving them back to the places they had been before, one showed up fine and was in synch.  The other was out of sync, but hitting the back of the satellite and the router synced them back up. Fingers crossed this stays "as is" for a while.  Thanks for the help Netgear Community!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@wagnermba wrote:

With all of the above, they turn on, flash white, then go to solid blue for a couple minutes before the light goes off. But, I can't see them in app or on the browser as connected devices.

Note that solid blue than turning off is the normal operation per https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean:

Solid blue. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid blue for 90-180 seconds, the connection between your Orbi router and satellite is good.

What does your orbilogin.com admin website show for the satellites under Basic / Attached Devices / Connected Satellites?  If you wire connect something to a satellite, does it get an IP address and is it connected to the internet?

If all else fails, try factory resetting your Orbi router as well as the satellites, and add them back again:  https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Need to make sure FW versions are same on RBS and RBR.

@wagnermba wrote:

After a recent power outage, my Orbi RBR750 fired up fine (as did gateway) and provides wireless coverage as before.  However, my two RBS750 satellites will not show up as connected (in app or on browser).  They do power up, flash white, and then go to solid blue for a couple minutes.  Here's what I've done:

Moved them closer to router.

Left them in their distant locations that worked fine prior.

Hit the sync button on back of router and satellites.

Tried "add a satellite" feature in app.

Hit the sync button on satellites and browser (failed)

Used paperclip to do factory reset.

Help please.   Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

Thanks for your response. I have V4.6.5.14_2.0.54 for my Orbi router which the website says is the latest.  But, since I can't connect my satellites, how would I check their firmware?

Message 4 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

Hi:  Thanks for your reply.  The solid blue made me confident as well.  

Believe it or not, having left both of the satellites plugged in, this morning I show both of them on my network map on the Orbi app and on the network map on the website.  Oddly, one shows its connection via 5G, the other as wired (neither hare hardwired) and the website says both are "out of sync" for their backhaul status.  Guess I need to research that!

Nether show connected devices on the Orbi app, which may be due to the backhaul status synching?

Welcome further advice!

Message 5 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

BTW, 

Believe it or not, having left both of the satellites plugged in, this morning I show both of them on my network map on the Orbi app and on the network map on the website.  Oddly, one shows its connection via 5G, the other as wired (neither hare hardwired) and the website says both are "out of sync" for their backhaul status.  Guess I need to research that!

Nether show connected devices on the Orbi app, which may be due to the backhaul status synching?  And, when I look at the "update firmware" section on the website, neither satellite shows up and the "update" software for the router fails -- but mine shows it's the latest version.

Welcome any further advice.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do the RBS show an IP address on the RBRs web page? If theres an IP address you may be able to access the RBS web page use that IP address and log in as admin and PW as password to check the FW version there and if the FW version is not the same, you'll need to downgrade the RBS to same version of FW as the RBR. Get the RBS FW from NG download page. 

Message 7 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

Thanks.  Will try that when I see some activity -- I rebooted my router in hopes that it would resolve the satellite syncing issue and now both satellites have disappeared again from the website and the app.  I tried the sync buttons (first on the router, then on the first satellite) but still nothing.  Will have to keep experimenting so I can see if I can get them to show up on the website again to try out figuring out their firmware.  What a pain.  

Message 8 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

Solved!  Or should say resolved.  Found both satellites had upgraded their firmware. Set them back to match the router.  Then, they started showing up on the web page in a room near the router.  After moving them back to the places they had been before, one showed up fine and was in synch.  The other was out of sync, but hitting the back of the satellite and the router synced them back up. Fingers crossed this stays "as is" for a while.  Thanks for the help Netgear Community!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you go them back up and running. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 12
hmogenson
Aspirant

I am having the same problem you had and resolved; so I was following your post.  But, it seems that your solution was to reset the firmware on the satellites to an earlier version to perhaps match the router.

My questions is; how does one update or install firmware on a satellite that is not connected and does not appear on the app or the orbilogin.com page?  I don't know how to access the satellite to make a firmware change.

Thanks for any instructions on how to do this, as that was your solution.

Message 11 of 12
wagnermba
Guide

Hi:  I was able to login to each of the satellites using the IP address (using "admin" as user name and "password"as password) to view them and then upload the firmware that matched the router.  If you end up getting connect, be sure to capture the IP address for each for future reference.  I was only able to capture it after multiple attempts to sync where it showed up on my Orbi administrative site but were still unsynched. Good luck!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7