Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 Satellite Won't Reset and in Continuous Reboot

msinex
Apprentice

RBS850 Satellite Won't Reset and in Continuous Reboot

I have a satellite that seems to be in constant reboot (it will flash white lights for a few minutes, then go to solid blue for a few minutes, then go off, only to go back to flashing white about 5-10 minutes later.  This same cycle happens whether I have it in its original location in my house, or in the same room as the router (direct line of sight about a foot away).  I tried to reset it using a paperclip to the reset button, but it doesn't seem to reset as the power LED doesn't change color even if I hold it in for more than 30 seconds.  The front ring light just continuously blinks white during this reset approach.   Anyone else had this issue and found something that worked?  Is my satellite just bricked?

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 Satellite Won't Reset and in Continuous Reboot

Did you try removing the one disconnected RBS from the RBRs web page, reboot the RBR then onces it's back to ready, press the sync button on the RBS and RBS while the RBS is in same room as the RBR? I would turn OFF the other RBS before you do this. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the system? Same as RBS as on RBR? 

Can you connect the RBS via ethernet to the back of the RBR? 

Message 2 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks for the response!

Same firmware on router and both satellites.  The other satellite seems to be working just fine.  FW is 4.6.8.2  I actually did have this satellite working on a ethernet connection up in it's typical place, and when it started having issues I took the ethernet out thinking maybe that was the issue.  Now that I have it close to the router I have it off ethernet.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try removing the one disconnected RBS from the RBRs web page, reboot the RBR then onces it's back to ready, press the sync button on the RBS and RBS while the RBS is in same room as the RBR? I would turn OFF the other RBS before you do this. 

Message 4 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks Furry.  How do I remove the Satellite from the webpage?  I did try to resync them in the same room, but didn't turn off the other Satellite.  I can do that once you can let me know how to remove the broken one.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

On the Connected Devices page, there should be a entry for the one RBS thats not connected. There will be a Disconnect button, Select that. 

Message 6 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

For some reason, my attached devices list will not load on either the website interface or the app on my phone.  It's showing it's connected to 71 devices and the one remaining satellite, but when I try to load it on via my browser it just shows a blank list.  When I try to load it via the app, I get a "Sorry, this action was failed.  Please try again (code: CDIL-API-FAIL.)."  

I haven't noticed this issue before, and I know I was in my attached devices list about a month ago looking up an IP address to make it static.  

Have you seen that before?

Message 7 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

Nevermind.  I rebooted the router and now the attached device list seems to be working.  Weird.  I will try the solution you have above and come back to you.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

That seems to have worked Furry, so many thanks!  I had done the attempted reset and resync before, but didn't remove it from the network map nor turn off the other satellite.  So, one of those two things seemed to have done the trick for now.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

I spoke too soon.  After a few days of working, the satellite has dropped back into the exact same behavior with a reboot (flashing white lights, wifi dropoff) every 15-30 minutes.  Any ideas on next steps to try?  Thanks!

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update FW on the RBS first then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

After FW is loaded power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute or longer then back ON. 

Message 12 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks Furry.  Would you do both Satellite updates first before the router?  Does it matter which satellite I update first?  I didn't know that there was a way to get updated firmware outside of the update process in the GUI.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS have to be updated before the RBR. Doesn't matter which one. RBR lastly. 

You can log into the RBS web page to update FW there which is recommended. 

Message 14 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

I successfully updated the firmware of both satellites and router and power cycled everything, and unfortunately I'm having the same issue with the satellite of it rebooting itself (flashing white light for a period of time before going to blue and then no light for a period of time, then back to the flashing whites).  Any other next steps to try?  Thanks for the help!

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBS and when it starts to blink WHITE, turn it OFF. 

Turn OFF the other RBS.

Bring this one RBS to same room as the RBR

Log into the RBRs web page and select REMOVE button on the row under Connected Devices. 
Reboot the RBR. 

When the RBR is ready, turn ON the RBS, when it starts to pulsate WHITE, press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR. Give 5 minutes...hoping this will fully sync and the RBS front LED will turn BLUE then shut off after 3 minutes. 

Let us know what happens here...

Message 16 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

Thanks, will give it a try and let it sit a few days and see what happens

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 18 of 20
msinex
Apprentice

I took these steps and it seemed to work better for a few days, but is unfortunately now back into the reboot cycle like it was before.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all the help!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask for help on this. Possible you may have a faulty RBS that needs replacing.

Can send a forum moderator a PM to see what they can do as well.

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7