Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 Satellites Connection Issues

NorbertNJ
Aspirant

RBS850 Satellites Connection Issues

My two RBS850 satellites keep disconnecting from my RBR850 router and even if they are connected to the router they have most of the time no devices connected, so all devices are connected to the router. When I restart everything it works that satellites are connected and also devices connect to the satellites, but over a few days it malfunctions again as described above. Does someone else have this problem and found a solution?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Turn OFF one of the RBS and see if the other RBS remains ONLINE...

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch?

Message 2 of 7
kjking
Aspirant

Sounds like a firmware issue - the latest firmware is trying to install on your router or satellites but failed.

Reset ( factory reset ) all router and satellites

Setup it like scrach when opening the box

Message 3 of 7
NorbertNJ
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your response. Here are some answers:

Firmware:V3.2.18.1

I am connected to a Comcast XFi Gateway Modem: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/modems-and-routers?CMP=KNC-43700053503843974-GOOGLE-2...

My home is about 3500 SF

The distance between RBR and RBS was about 20 feet. After reading your response I increased it to over 30 feet and it improved the situation, so more devices now connect to the satellites!

When I turn off one RBS the other RBS stays online.

I have not done a factory reset yet. I am trying to avoid to have to do that and go through the entire setup process again. Do you think I still have to do this?

Is my firmware the latest version?

Thanks so much for your help!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@NorbertNJ wrote:

Hi, thanks for your response. Here are some answers:

Firmware:V3.2.18.1

I am connected to a Comcast XFi Gateway Modem: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/modems-and-routers?CMP=KNC-43700053503843974-GOOGLE-2...

What mode is this modem working in? Router or in modem only? This modem has a built in router and wifi already. 

My home is about 3500 SF

The distance between RBR and RBS was about 20 feet. After reading your response I increased it to over 30 feet and it improved the situation, so more devices now connect to the satellites!

When I turn off one RBS the other RBS stays online. Lets leave the 2nd RBS OFF and see how the system does for you. 

I have not done a factory reset yet. I am trying to avoid to have to do that and go through the entire setup process again. Do you think I still have to do this?

Is my firmware the latest version? No yet. Let leave it for now.

Message 5 of 7
NorbertNJ
Aspirant

Thanks, I left one of the two RBS off and the remaining RBR and RBS were doing fine.

Also putting back on both RBS works fine now, so I think positioning them further away from the RBR solved the problem.

Just one question: is my firmware V3.2.18.1 the latest or do I need a firmware update?

Thanks for all your help. All the best!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

OK sounds like might have been a distance thing.

v4 is latest however I recommend keeping v3 for now...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7