Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 connection issues

TodaysKiller
Aspirant

RBS850 connection issues

Hey everyone, I recently received my RBR850 router as well as the RBS850 satellite.

The overall connection to and from seems great, the only problem I have is any device that's connected to the satellite seems to have terrible latency and packet loss issues.

The router and the satellite are no more than 20 ft apart in a single story 1800 ft² home with only one wall in between each other.

Is there any settings or anything I can tweak to make the satellite perform just like the router does? My son's Xbox is hardwired into the router and he has no issues, while mine is hardwired into the satellite and I have constant latency and every now and then packet loss.

The backhaul status is good, and the network map has green on both the router and the satellite. My ISP just swapped out the modem and router combo for just a straight-up modem, so I know there's not an issue with that interfering.

Thanks for the help!
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 connection issues

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 6
TodaysKiller
Aspirant

Firmware on both is the 3.2.15.32

And the modem is a Calix Gigapoint 801Gv2

And right, I have it about the length that it recommends

Thanks
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try disabling the following and see:

Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes.  Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can try setting CTS from 64 to 2347 and see if this changes anything, if not, set it back to 64. 

Message 4 of 6
TodaysKiller
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, pretty much everyone around me in my neighborhood has Wi-Fi. But I only ever see maybe my neighbors directly beside me when it comes to seeing their network.

And I have switched all of the settings that you listed and I'm still receiving the same issues, sadly.

Also, my Xbox and everything else has an open NAT but whenever I go into games especially call of duty It's still showing as moderate. How would I port forward these if I have UPNP enabled? I know using port forwarding while having UPNP enabled can cause issues.

I'm also using the ISP's DNS, would that cause issues?

Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have wifi neighbors near by, be sure your using different and far appart channels on the RBR. 

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Until NG releases a fix for NAT filter, you may see moderate NAT in the game. Theres been some problems with NAT and NAT Filter on Orbi AX. 

You can try using different DNS and see if this helps. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7