Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 satellites lose internet and gateway connectivity several times per day

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 satellites lose internet and gateway connectivity several times per day

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I have 3 RBS850 satellites.  One of them was this one that lost connectivity regularly and it was near the LED light.  I turned it off completely and ran just with the 2 for a while, did not get to trying to experiment with moving it to different locations or trying to shield the LED light because another of my RBR850 satellites started exhibiting the same problem of periodically losing connectivity.  This other satellite is in a different room and a different floor of my house from the first one.

I at first had an RBS50 sitting right next to this second problemmatic RBS850 so I moved it 4 feet away, but that did not fix the problem.  I now have the RBS850 with nothing else within 3 feet of it and no LED lights anywhere near it but the connectivity problem still occurs.  So for now I have 2 of my 3 RBS850 satellites turned off because of this issue.

So do you still have the RBS50 running? Ya, 4 feet is TOO close between RBSs. 30 feet or more. I would turn OFF ALL RBS50s and just run the RBS850s. I would turn them all off and use just one, then graduate adding RBS850s and see what you find.

What is the distances between the RBR and RBS at there normal positions? 

The third RBS850 I cannot turn off because I am also using it as a wireless access point to my wired devices.  Fortunately it does not seem to ever lose connectivity like the other 2 satellites.  At this point I have stable network so I'm just hoping that some new Orbi AX firmware will magically fix this issue and I can turn these other satellites back on.

One thought is that my house is adequately covered by just the one RBR850 and the one RBS850.  They are at opposite ends and different floors of my house.  It may be that interference occurs when these extra RBS850 satellites are too close to one another and that causes the connectivity issue.  Note that I had the same number of RBS50 satellites with my RBR50 and did not have this problem.

If I get really bored I may try to turn on one of the RBS850s in my garage and see if it runs fine over there.  That is the only location I can think of that would put it as far from the RBR850 and RBS850 that are powered on right now.  So if it works in my garage then that adds further credibility to the interference hypothesis.

Message 26 of 28
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBS850 satellites lose internet and gateway connectivity several times per day

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So do you still have the RBS50 running? Ya, 4 feet is TOO close between RBSs. 30 feet or more. I would turn OFF ALL RBS50s and just run the RBS850s. I would turn them all off and use just one, then graduate adding RBS850s and see what you find.

Sorry, I can't do this because I need the RBS50 for my Nest controllers.  The RBR50 network is completely separated from the RBR850 network (they each connect to my upstream Comcast router with Double NAT - It works and I don't care since I do it correctly).  I can't force my immediate neighbor to move their wireless devices further from my RBS850 satellite, so similarly there's only so much I can do with my own RBS50 satellite.

I'm done experimenting any futher with these RBR850 issues and will leave things as they are for now.  It's stable (finally) and I don't need to figure this out anymore.

Message 27 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, though having the RBS50 in close proximity to the RBS850 maybe a cause of problems. 

Hopefully NG can get the NEST problem fixed. Smiley Frustrated

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7