Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 wired backhaul questions

donawalt
Virtuoso

RBS850 wired backhaul questions

OK, I found I have a gigabit connection into an room where I have a satellite RBS850. So I have a few questions before moving it from wireless to wired backhaul, that I couldn't find in any of the info here...

1) It says to be safe, add the wired connection, and reboot the RBS850. Should I power cycle it? How about the RBR850 that's not wired, should I power cycle it? Anything else I need to do?

2) looking at the device list on orbilogon.net, how do I tell (or anyplace else) whether the satellite is using the wired or wireless backhaul?

3) Are there any problems running 1 satellite wired, and 2 others wireless?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You got it. 

Check the RBRs web page. The status for the one RBS should be wired after that. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

OK, I found I have a gigabit connection into an room where I have a satellite RBS850. So I have a few questions before moving it from wireless to wired backhaul, that I couldn't find in any of the info here...

1) It says to be safe, add the wired connection, and reboot the RBS850. Should I power cycle it? How about the RBR850 that's not wired, should I power cycle it? Anything else I need to do?

You can take the RBS to the place where the wired connection is, turn it on and let it sync wirelessly, once synced, just connect the LAN port of the RBS to the LAN port in the room. The RBS front LED will pulsate, then turn BLUE or should turn BLUE if the connection is good. 

2) looking at the device list on orbilogon.net, how do I tell (or anyplace else) whether the satellite is using the wired or wireless backhaul?

On the RBRs connected devices page for the RBS, the status will show "wired". 

3) Are there any problems running 1 satellite wired, and 2 others wireless?

NO. 

Message 2 of 8
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks for the replies @FURRYe38 , I wasn't clear on one thing. The RBR850 is in the basement, and will have a gigabit switch connected with it. Through that, the RBS850 will be connected (this was one of the connection diagrams that netgear showed on their site if I am not mistaken).  So what is the procedure - power cycle the RBR850 once I add the cable connection to the RBS850 on another floor? Anything else?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# the switch? 

No, just turn ON the RBS first, let it wirelessly sync, then plug in the eithernet cable behind the RBS to the LAN. The RBS an RBR should sync up on the wire after 3-4 mins. 

Message 4 of 8
donawalt
Virtuoso

hanks. The switch is a Netgear 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (model GS348)

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, you should be good then. Just besure the switch is connected behind the RBR then the line going to the RBS is connected to the switch or behind the RBR. Either way will work. 

Message 6 of 8
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks @FURRYe38 . So in my setup, applying what you said - my RBR and switch are in the basement. The RBS to be using wired backhaul is on the 3rd floor.

So my steps:

1) Connect switch into the back of the RBS in basement, ensure it's working and the outlet by the RBS on the third floor is working thru the ethernet switch (I'll test it with my Mac);

2) Ensure RBS on 3rd floor and RBR are in sync wirelessly, "Good" status;

3) Connect the RBS on the third floor to the gigabit ethernet outlet nearby.

Wait 4-5 minutes or so, as the RBR and RBS get synced I should see the backhaul status change to "wired" in the device list at orbilogin.net.

Is that correct?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You got it. 

Check the RBRs web page. The status for the one RBS should be wired after that. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7