Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul on Orbi 6E in Access Point mode? RBRE960 / RBSE960

JR-PatsFan
Follower

Hi, I have a similar issue.  I purchased the Orbi Mesh WiFi 6E System - AXE11000 - 3 pack.  I am having difficulty getting the ethernet backbone connectivity on both satellites.  Here is the equipment and my set-up. 

Equipment

Xfinity gigabyte service

Cable Modem:   NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem with Voice (CM2050V)

Router:               MikroTik RB4011 10 Gigabit Ports SFP+ 10Gbps L5

Access Points:    Orbi 963s (1 main and 2 satellites)

Set-up:

Cable Modem is plugged into port 1 on the Router using a CAT 7 cable. 

Orbis are set to AP mode.  Orbi RBRE960B (main) is plugged into port 2 of the Router using the 10 GB WAN (CAT 7 cable).  Orbi RBSE960B is se-up one floor up in the corner room and the other one floor up in the family room.  Full connection - wireless --works well.

I then begin connecting the ethernet backhaul (all CAT 7).  I first connect to the library satellite using the 2.5 GB port to port 3 on Router.  I wait about 5 minutes.  The app and web view show green status with a hard wired ethernet connection. 

I then repeat this step moving to the family room satellite.  Connect Satellite to port 4 on Router.  I wait 20 minutes, no connection.  I try the following: 

Re-booting satellite and waiting (20 mins).  Doesn’t work.

Re-booting main Orbi (router) and waiting (20 mins).  Doesn’t work.

Re-booting both and waiting (20 mins) – doesn’t work.

Syncing & waiting (20 mins) -- doesn’t work.

I then relocate the satellite closer to the Orbi main unit.  I reboot and reconnect network.  Network comes up and shows one satellite is wired and one is wireless (I check both app and the web interface).  I then reconnected a CAT 7 wire (2.5 GB port on satellite to port 4 on rotuet) and wait.  Doesn’t connect. I repeat the re-boot steps up above and no luck.  I also tried another port on the router - no luck.  This satellite will not connect wired.  Am I missing something?  I am hoping to use the switch as the central point between Orbi units and not have to hard wire back to the Orbi main.  Is this possible ?    

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

@JR-PatsFan wrote:

Hi, I have a similar issue.  I purchased the Orbi Mesh WiFi 6E System - AXE11000 - 3 pack.  I am having difficulty getting the ethernet backbone connectivity on both satellites.  Here is the equipment and my set-up. 

Equipment

Xfinity gigabyte service

Cable Modem:   NETGEAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem with Voice (CM2050V)

Router:               MikroTik RB4011 10 Gigabit Ports SFP+ 10Gbps L5

Access Points:    Orbi 963s (1 main and 2 satellites)

Set-up:

Cable Modem is plugged into port 1 on the Router using a CAT 7 cable. 

Orbis are set to AP mode.  Orbi RBRE960B (main) is plugged into port 2 of the Router using the 10 GB WAN (CAT 7 cable).  Orbi RBSE960B is se-up one floor up in the corner room and the other one floor up in the family room.  Full connection - wireless --works well.

I then begin connecting the ethernet backhaul (all CAT 7).  I first connect to the library satellite using the 2.5 GB port to port 3 on Router.  I wait about 5 minutes.  The app and web view show green status with a hard wired ethernet connection. 

I then repeat this step moving to the family room satellite.  Connect Satellite to port 4 on Router.  I wait 20 minutes, no connection.  I try the following: 

Re-booting satellite and waiting (20 mins).  Doesn’t work.

Re-booting main Orbi (router) and waiting (20 mins).  Doesn’t work.

Re-booting both and waiting (20 mins) – doesn’t work.

Syncing & waiting (20 mins) -- doesn’t work.

I then relocate the satellite closer to the Orbi main unit.  I reboot and reconnect network.  Network comes up and shows one satellite is wired and one is wireless (I check both app and the web interface).  I then reconnected a CAT 7 wire (2.5 GB port on satellite to port 4 on rotuet) and wait.  Doesn’t connect. I repeat the re-boot steps up above and no luck.  I also tried another port on the router - no luck.  This satellite will not connect wired.  Am I missing something?  I am hoping to use the switch as the central point between Orbi units and not have to hard wire back to the Orbi main.  Is this possible ?    Yes.

Since the RBR only has 1x 2.5Gb port, you need to connect one RBS to this port with its' 2.5Gb port and the other using the 1Gb port on the RBR and RBS. Or if you have a 2.5Gb LAN multi port switch, put this in between the RBR and RBS and connect them both using the 2.5Gb port and switch. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

I would check the connection from the family room RBS to the RBR. Take the family room RBS to same room as RBR and first connect the RBS via wireless, once it's synce, use a LAN cable and connect it to either the 2.5Gb lan port on the back or connect the RBS using the 1Gb port on the RBS and on the RBR. Test here to make sure the RBS sync correctly and shows wired status. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7