Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recent Firmware has broken RBK750's ability to connect to satellites in AP mode

juankt
Aspirant

Recent Firmware has broken RBK750's ability to connect to satellites in AP mode

Version 4. firmware updates (pushed automatically) to my RBK750 have BRICKED the ability to run in AP mode. Repro:

1. Configure RBR750 in router mode
  2. Connect to satellites using wifi (standard procedure)
  3. Update to latest firmware 4.6.5.14
  4. While connected wirelessly to satellites login to Router and change to AP mode.
  5. Move network cable from router plug to any of the other three plugs
  6. Wait for router to come back up.
  7. Both satellites will NEVER connect wirelessly Indicators remain Purple and Router "connected devices" page shows the satellites as "Disconnected"

Note: the ORBI RBK753 ran for several month with zero issues in this configuration. However the recent firmware forced updates (version 4. and greater) caused this issue.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Recent Firmware has broken RBK750's ability to connect to satellites in AP mode

@juankt wrote:

Version 4. firmware updates (pushed automatically) to my RBK750 have BRICKED the ability to run in AP mode. Repro:

1. Configure RBR750 in router mode
  2. Connect to satellites using wifi (standard procedure)
  3. Update to latest firmware 4.6.5.14
  4. While connected wirelessly to satellites login to Router and change to AP mode.
  5. Move network cable from router plug to any of the other three plugs
  6. Wait for router to come back up.
  7. Both satellites will NEVER connect wirelessly Indicators remain Purple and Router "connected devices" page shows the satellites as "Disconnected"

What would be the point of moving the cable connecting the Orbi to the primary router from the WAN plug?  All access points know that their connection to the rest of the world is through the WAN port.

Message 2 of 7
juankt
Aspirant

Re: Recent Firmware has broken RBK750's ability to connect to satellites in AP mode

Given your question, I can only presume that you are unfamiliar with why one would run the ORBI in AP mode. I can't believe how many people attempt to chime in on an AP mode topic when they do not fully understand the purpose of running in AP mode. I got same kind of silly questions from tier 1 support.

Moreover, you're asking a question that is COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE POINT OF THE POST. The point of the post is "Satellites RBS750 will NOT connect to the router when the Router RBR740 is configured in AP MODE".

If you intend to run in AP mode you must connect to a wired network via one of the Ethernet Ports. There are four (4) wired network ports. One is for connecting to "internet" the other three are for connecting via ethernet (LAN, NOT WAN). When you plug into the "internet" port the Orbi manages that connection as if it were acting like a router, I DO NOT WANT THE ORBI TO ACT LIKE A ROUTER. If you are going to switch from "Router" mode to "AP" mode you MUST move your wired network connection from the "internet" port to one of the ethernet ports.

Suffice it to say that running in AP mode gives one the ability to extend an existing network. This is typical when all of the DHCP/DNS/Internet gateway is ALREADY managed using other wired hardware (NOT the orbi). The key purpose here is that there are dozens of networked devices (NON WIFI) that I want to access via wireless connection over Orbi. I'm NOT just trying to get wireless devices connected to the internet. I have existing DHCP and Internet gateway services ON MY WIRED NETWORK. No need to introduce yet another DHCP configuration and Router for the wifi devices.

If you want a SPECIFIC use case it's pretty simple. I have several Russound audio streaming devices that are connected to my local network and served up IP addresses from my DHCP server. I want to connect to control streaming devices using a Russound app on my iphone. If I connect via AP mode my iphone gets an IP address on the same subnet as my wired devices and it CAN discover all the devices on the network. Conversely, if I run the ORBI in Router mode, it blocks the ability to do network discovery on my wired network. And don't presume that using the ORBI for full Router/gateway functionality (replace my existing network configuraion DHCP/GATEWAY) helps in any way... IT DOES NOT.

This is an issue that I've proved with THREE (3) different sets of RBK753.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry to have touched a nerve.  In almost five years on this forum, I have seen hundreds of discussions of router vs. ap mode (mostly in regard to Double NAT issues) and not once has the solution been to use a LAN port rather than the WAN port.  I can see why Tier 1 was confused. They may have seen this Netgear web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23784/I-m-setting-up-my-NETGEAR-router-for-the-first-time-how-do-I-set-it-to-... 

notice the yellow cable.

or this one: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point 

Using the WAN port in no way enables the Orbi to provide DHCP.  In access point mode, all of the router features are disabled:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-... (LAN Setup is where DHCP is defined.)

Is the issue that has been proved with three Orbi systems that things do not work when AP mode is set up using a LAN port rather than the WAN port?

Sorry I was not able to help.

Message 4 of 7
juankt
Aspirant

Unfortunately, my experience with a functional ap mode (oct 2020-Mid 2021 (when firmware v4 started getting force delivered)), if one left he network (with all networking services provided on the wired network) the RBR (not the satellites) would display as purple. Only when moving the wired connection from the yellow/Internet port to one of the Ethernet ports would it function.
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to post in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Firmware-v4-Breaks-AP-mode-on-the-OR...

Please mimiize multiple postings about the same subject. 

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Can-t-add-setellites-to-RBR750-in-AP...

@juankt wrote:
Unfortunately, my experience with a functional ap mode (oct 2020-Mid 2021 (when firmware v4 started getting force delivered)), if one left he network (with all networking services provided on the wired network) the RBR (not the satellites) would display as purple. Only when moving the wired connection from the yellow/Internet port to one of the Ethernet ports would it function.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7