Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reserved IP issue RBR850

Reedster500
Follower

Reserved IP issue RBR850

Anyone else have DHCP reservation issues? I've had conflicts with devices that will not let go of IPs, even though the default 24 hours has passed, and when I've reserved something else there, it will not connect because the previous device will not let go (and no, the previous device is not set static).

Is there a limit to DHCP reservations in the RBR850? I have removed the reservation and re-added it verifying the MAC address is correct... Hopefully it will grab the IP I've assigned to it instead of hanging on to the previous one, where I now have something else there and it can't get on until such time....

I'm about to just make something else a DHCP server with better management tools if this can't be resolved... come on, Netgear! In 2021, this should work flawlessly and have more robust tools and twaeks for a $1,000 router in the latest technology... Asking too much as consumers, obviously...

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you rebooting the device(s) after you have set up IP address reservations on the RBR, applying he change the also rebooting the RBR? 

If your setting an IP address reservation, that IP will always be assigned to that devices. 

Message 2 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Which specific devices are not letting go of the IP addresses? I've noted that some (not all) Apple devices will try to hang on to a previous IP address. A simple power off/on cycle will cure that. Or you could place the device in Airplane Mode for a minute or so. Next thing to check is if your Apple devices are using "Private Addresses". With "Private Address" selected, the device will randomly put out a MAC address to the router. Although this usually causes a wandering IP address versus being stuck. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 6
JulianHa
Guide

I saw your post on DHCP reservation table max-size. I had run into this on earleir rev's of the firmware and it was topping out at 113 before new entries started corrupting older ones. I am currently running V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 on the 850s as that is the last stable version of firmware i have tried. The DHCP reservation table maxes out at 227 entries now and if you add one more, the whole list vanishes (i.e. make and use a backup before it's too late). Interestingly that's twice the size of the last limit i encountered a year ago, so i guess the earlier fix was to double the memory table size. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This is so cool.  Thanks for conducting what must have been a tedious experiment.  I would have (naively) believed that Netgear would track the number of entries and reject adding another when the maximum was reached.

Another user conducted a similar project and discovered that there was (is?) a programming error in one of the Orbi routines which uses a short integer to store the length of the parameter settings and thus when the actual file size got too large, the size reverted to a very small value and thus corrupted the entire parameter file.

When adding entries to the LAN reservation table, how long were the entries for Device Name?  (perhaps it is not the number of table entries, but the size of the text parameters which causes the problem?)

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Reedster500 wrote:

Anyone else have DHCP reservation issues? I've had conflicts with devices that will not let go of IPs, even though the default 24 hours has passed, and when I've reserved something else there, it will not connect because the previous device will not let go (and no, the previous device is not set static).

Is there a limit to DHCP reservations in the RBR850? I have removed the reservation and re-added it verifying the MAC address is correct... Hopefully it will grab the IP I've assigned to it instead of hanging on to the previous one, where I now have something else there and it can't get on until such time....

I'm about to just make something else a DHCP server with better management tools if this can't be resolved... come on, Netgear! In 2021, this should work flawlessly and have more robust tools and twaeks for a $1,000 router in the latest technology... Asking too much as consumers, obviously...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7