Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Roborock S5 (2.4 GHZ only) network configuration fails

fxp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Roborock S5 (2.4 GHZ only) network configuration fails

My setup: Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, Orbi RBR750 WiFi router w/V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 firmware and RBS750 satellite, 1 Gig service from Xfinity.  The router and satellite are > 30 feet apart. 

I've seen several threads on the topic of problems connecting 2.4 GHZ only devices to an Orbi WiFi network. In some cases the problem seemed to be the 2.4 GHZ device's setup App. In other cases (recent Yamaha sound bar) it sounded like stale configuration data (a previous wifi setup maybe) was to blame.  Those did not help with my current issue thus this new thread.  A few months back we moved from a rental house to one we purchased.  At the rental house we had been using a Google WiFi Mesh for couple years.  Prior to the move my wife purchased a Roborock S5 vacuum cleaner set it up on the Google Wifi no problem.  While preparing for the move I decided that we would go (mostly) all wireless (streaming to multiple TVs, Sonos sound, security system etc) and thought I'd move to a new Orbi mesh to make sure we had plenty of bandwidth all around.  The first problem I ran into was with the wireless security cameras (more on that and the eventual solution below).  Recently we decided to start using the Roborock vacuum and found that when setting it up for WiFi the setup App flashes a "network configuration failed" message and goes back to previous screen to try again. The Roborock S5 is 2.4 GHZ only (802.11b).  With Google WiFi, although it is a WiFi mesh is still has separate SSIDs for the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ bands.  That makes it straight forward to connect 2.4 GHZ only devices. It would be REALLY NICE if Orbi offered a similar option.  Even if it was by way of the guest network.  My wife keeps saying "what's next with Orbi".  She wants me to get rid of Orbi.  I don't want to ;-).  One  solution I thought of was to find a way to connect the S5 to the "smart gateway"(see The first 2.4 GHZ problem below) but I'm not sure that will work but I'll try that once I find the password ;-).  Apart from that can anyone suggest an "Orbi side" solution?  While I have lots of networking experience I don't know alot about 802.11x but I have to believe Orbi can tell the S5 is a 2.4 GHZ only device.  No?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

fxp

The first 2.4GHZ problem:

We had problems with the ADC-723 security cameras for a while.  Sometimes they would connect to the Orbi router or satelite using 5GHZ and work fine.  A while later they would disconnect and not be able to reconnect. A few times I saw the camera was connected on 5GHZ but the "link rate" displayed in the Orbi browser UI was 6 mb and was unusable.  Finally after hours of trying different things the security company suggested an ADC-SG130 (Smart Gateway) to use for the cameras. It is plugged into one of the GigE ports on the Satelite and provides a separate SSID on 2.4 GHZ for the cameras to connect to. Since then there have been 0 issues with the cameras.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Roborock S5 (2.4 GHZ only) network configuration fails

You can try turning down the 5Ghz wifi power output on the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I would turn OFF the RBS while your trying to get the devices connected. 

Disable AX mode on 2.4Ghz.

Try setting CTS to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Be sure to get your setup mobile device to connect to the 2.4Ghz signal by turning off it's wifi radio for 5 seconds, then walk out at a distance from the RBR so it won't reconnect to the 5Ghz. Then try to get the 2.4Ghz devices connected...as this is a limitation of the IoT setup software. 

Message 2 of 6
DaveEdmonds
Guide

I am going to do a similar solution. We have two  satellites and the router and the ADC-723 security camera will drop in and out and this is with a satellite module 10 feet away. Apparently this is a common issue with the way security cameras access the network. Seems dumb to me being an ex network manager.

I decided to create a separate network just for the cameras that will be connected via on of the satellites via Ethernet. This will allow the tempormentall camera to connect. Kind of sad that my 1K dollar NetGear investment can't over come this.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

And it maybe your camera not handling how it connects to the new system. It's not up to wifi routers to connect devices to the system, it's the devices decistion to connect to a signal source. 

Message 4 of 6
fxp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread sooner.  That is what I wound up doing also. For the cameras the manufacturer also has a "wifi gateway" for the cameras which only offers 2.4 G. Plugged that into the satelite.  The camers like it.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation